DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

So I know that in theory there's wrestling on every night of the week save for Sunday for PPVs (I count ROH on Saturday)  But since I don't have AXS and don't feel a huge need to watch NXT UK with the changes I would actually have two free weeknights to check out pretty much anything else.  Which is great because I have some Halloween movies to watch and am happy to have more time to dive into them.

Like @NikoBaltimore, I don't have AXS, so my wrestling watching is limited to basically AEW and NXT at this point since they're both on channels I have. I don't mind MLW, but they have a lot of shit on their roster that I just don't care about. I had to sit through almost 30 minutes of crap like Jordan Oliver and the Von Erichs being next level cringe before I got to something good in Thatcher/James and then an underwhelming brawl in Havoc/Warner. But, for now, it'll be my replacement for RAW, I guess.

I work the weekends, so Friday through Sunday is out the window for the foreseeable future. Open to suggestions for wrestling shows on Monday and Thursday, though. My current lineup, as of next week, is: Monday: MLW, Tuesday: NWA, Wednesday: AEW/NXT and Thursday is an open book. I really want to replace MLW, though, because like I said... just not enough stuff there to hold my interest and I end up fast forwarding through 80% of the show anyway.

Honestly, I really hope Smackdown is a total revamp and something fresh compared to what we've been getting for over a decade now, but RAW's "season premiere" didn't do anything to make me believe that'll be even close to true. Besides a new set, new announcers and some pyro (and less nauseating camera cuts), it's the same show as before.

• Like 1

I legitimately think the only people watching everything everyday live (or as close to it as possible in the case of Wednesday) are the ones covering it for websites

I mean, it would have to be your job. I normally have the TV on almost each night because I'm either on the treadmill, playing a game, or doing something else, and even then I couldn't watch all of this shit live.

Before it moved to Saturdays I was watching MLW Fusion live most weeks. 

Now I got...

Mon-ROH on FITE and every other week SWA on FITE

Tues-ROW,NWA and Elev8 Pro on Youtube. ANd will DVR Impact.

Wed-NXT and AEW for how ever long they keep my attention,sure in 4 weeks I will be tired of AEW.

Thurs-Nothing really.

Friday-Nothing.

Saturday-NJPW and WOW on AXS. PLus MLW on BeIN.

I will watch AEW live, but of course, I'm behind on NJPW and watching old shows on AXS somewhat irregularly. I do keep up with MLW pretty well, though recently, I've been busy. 

I forgot Impact existed until I was in Canada the other week and it came on GamesTV after Dragons' Den, but they were showing old "best of" shows on that channel.  

I plan on watching impact live, at least at first. Aew live, nxt maybe on Thursday. I’ll definitely be tuning into Smackdown live this Friday. With fox producing the show and wanting a sports presentation I’m very curious to see what that looks and feels like. I watch all the main new japan stuff on world anyway so I don’t watch the axs show, but I’m glad it’s there and hope it stays. 

That already feels like way too much wrestling and when I get burned out impact and Smackdown are likely to be the first victims. But I hope all the shows are great and will make me want to watch it them all. 

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Even though I don't have AXS, I'm tempted to use other...methods...of watching Impact, but I feel like I'm so out of the loop now. Has the quality still been up there?

Download the Pluto TV app.  There's an Impact channel that shows new and old TNA/Impact episodes 24/7.

41 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'll watch RAW as I usually do.  Don't have AXS anymore so can't watch Impact. On Wednesdays I'll watch AEW maybe flip back and forth or watch NXT the next day on the network.

I'll have to DVR Smackdown most weeks.  

I've thought about doing the sports nerd thing of having two screens up for NXT/AEW this Wednesday. I'm curious what AEW can do, but I'm not a huge fan of that roster overall from what I've seen. I think WWE does a great job of keeping NXT engaging even when you're not sold on people. Will be an interesting period in wrestling history.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I've thought about doing the sports nerd thing of having two screens up for NXT/AEW this Wednesday. I'm curious what AEW can do, but I'm not a huge fan of that roster overall from what I've seen. I think WWE does a great job of keeping NXT engaging even when you're not sold on people. Will be an interesting period in wrestling history.

The only issue for NXT right now (unless something like Vince getting involved) is the first few weeks they've been throwing out Takeover type cards.  Tomorrow is basically an NXT Takeover type of card.  If they do that too often they are going to burn through potential match ups without building up new people to take their place. 

I've touched Raw a couple times in the last few weeks, but it really didn't do anything for me. I'll try SD if the word is good, but for me Wednesday nights is where it's at as far as WWE goes.

I'm gonna go two TVs side by side like I did for the head to head Fyter Fest and Evolve PPVs. It was always a dream of mine as a kid to somehow facilitate watching Nitro and Raw side by side so even though I'm a shitty grown man now, I'm giving that to little me as a gift.

• Like 4

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

The only issue for NXT right now (unless something like Vince getting involved) is the first few weeks they've been throwing out Takeover type cards.  Tomorrow is basically an NXT Takeover type of card.  If they do that too often they are going to burn through potential match ups without building up new people to take their place. 

It's funny and sad too because every interview from WWE and especially HHH has been "good for them. We're going to keep doing what we do." Yet, like you said, they're overreacting to these blowout cards. It's probably also indicative as to why Takeovers are not going to be bundled with the Big 4 shows anymore.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'll watch RAW as I usually do.  Don't have AXS anymore so can't watch Impact. On Wednesdays I'll watch AEW maybe flip back and forth or watch NXT the next day on the network.

I'll have to DVR Smackdown most weeks.  

You can always watch on Impact Plus without signing up. I never had Pursuit and I don't have AXS.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Yep, this is NXT becoming just another WWE show.  Names and matches overexposed until there's nothing special to offer, and then Vince steps in because the show needs some of that Raw/Smackdown magic.  I think everyone saw this coming.

• Like 2

If you notice the enhancement talent matches were kept mostly on the network.  We'll find out soon if they are planning on changing their territory style model.  Hunter was quoted before saying that what NXT is on the network wouldn't work for RAW on USA.  Well now NXT is on USA.  So we'll see what he does. 

Off-topic: Pluto TV now has an American Gladiators channel and this is an indisputably great thing that I found out about the world today.

On-topic: Mike Adamle was admittedly not prepared for his WWE job and made too many flubs and was not good, but he would have been awful in that position anyway, which requires you to shrilly yell company-wide catchphrases and act in general like an over-emotive asshole. Adamle was quite good at PBP in AG and at Pure Sportz Build, which is what AG was really all about, and I wonder if he would have been at least decent in a wrestling company that took that route instead.

(Of course, Adamle would have had to take pro wrestling seriously enough to know it better on his end as well.)

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Thanks 1