DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

14 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

It still needs a bit of work. 

By that logic, I could argue that any fight in a movie about boxing or MMA could be considered a wrestling match- they have worked punches, a predetermined finish, and are presented as a sport vaguely. 

I disagree. If you go see a movie about combat sports, you would say you were going to a movie, not going to a wrestling match or even going to watch wrestling. The map is not the territory. A movie is presented as fiction or a documentary, wrestling is presented (but not actualized) as sport competition.

- RAF

50 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

By that logic, I could argue that any fight in a movie about boxing or MMA could be considered a wrestling match- they have worked punches, a predetermined finish, and are presented as a sport vaguely. 

Make #3 read more like

C) presented in a live setting to the audience as sports competition

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Make #3 read more like

C) presented in a live setting to the audience as sports competition

You know how WWE likes to send a Title Belt to whichever team wins the Superbowl every year? In the unlikely event of the Jaguars winning this year's, do you think they'll still do it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, AxB said:

You know how WWE likes to send a Title Belt to whichever team wins the Superbowl every year? In the unlikely event of the Jaguars winning this year's, do you think they'll still do it?

I'm sure Jalen Ramsey would wear it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I disagree. If you go see a movie about combat sports, you would say you were going to a movie, not going to a wrestling match or even going to watch wrestling. The map is not the territory. A movie is presented as fiction or a documentary, wrestling is presented (but not actualized) as sport competition.

- RAF

I have nothing to contribute (when do I?), but I just want to see the APA formatted essay you will get which ends with the talk about wrestling sucking now because fans only want WWE to push indy darlings such as the Velveteen Dream.

3 hours ago, AxB said:

If I was them, I wouldn’t. You are just asking the Khan’s to instruct their players to throw it in the trash, and hold up a replica of the AEW Belt on national TV.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

Were you not around for the bizarreness of that whole segment? The fact he doesn't have to do anything but add that track says enough

The Benoit stuff happened a week later, yeah? That's when I stopped watching, until the Summer of Punk.

I have meticulously constructed this over the past five minutes.

How we will know when Vince Russo has been hired by AEW.

Step 1. Dustin Rhodes will disappear for a while.

Step 2. He will return doing a parody of Firefly Funhouse, only instead of Wonder Showzen, it will be exactly like Pee Wee's Playhouse with no actual parody.

Step 3. He will suddenly return as The Monster in a poorly designed mask created by some guy they found on Reddit.

Step 4. In his first appearance before a live crowd as he's about to attack Cody, Dustin will rip the mask off and cut a promo about how stupid this all is and verbatim do the Seven promo from WCW.

Step 5. Cody's dog will end up being the one wearing the mask after this for no reason.

Step 6. The dog will beat Cody for the world title as Dustin seconds the dog at ringside for no reason.

Step 7. Vince Russo will come out and babble about something or other claiming he's a genius for working the marks into a shoot. He will pin the dog and declare title belts worthless.

Step 8. AEW will have a lot of bad references to movies from the 80's.

Step 9. Profit.

Step 10. The Jaguars will win the Super Bowl with Vince Russo as GM.

Ratings NEWZ~! in three to four threads weekly is what is going to finally get me to nuke the whole board.

Now that being said - the thing that is still tickling me is Dave opens the radio show by talking about how everyone is going to over analyze the ratings this week when it should be next week and next month that they are looking at.

He then proceeds to spend the next three minutes on how AEW did on Playstation View. (Not to mention then writing the article above).

• Like 4
  • Haha 3