DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

Nov 6th TV location to be revealed in 24 hrs. Or 23 hours and forty something minutes, anyway. I wonder if they'll keep this business model going throughout the life of the company, making TV announcements and ticket on sales as events that are built up in advance. Most companies just announce shows, they don't tease that there will be a show announcement. Makes sense though. Fyter Fest and FftF didn't do the immediate sell out thing because they didn't make a big deal of when tickets would be available, they just started selling them. Everything else has sold heavily first day (I don't think Pittsburgh or West Virginia sold out yet), so it looks smart to keep hyping.

• Like 1

Well, Khan (or rather, Tony's Dad) owns AEW, but everyone knows the EVP's and Brandi book it.  Ir doesnt help Brandi's case when shes basically been playing Great Value Steph on camera, giving herself the same corporate title Steph has IRL, and Cody has Triple H on the brain.

• Like 8

Dave said Pittsburgh sold about 4.000 tickets the first day.  I have to assume they will end up selling out or close to it.   Charleston sold about 3,000 tickets.   It's setup for 9,000+ I don't know if they'll be able to sell that one out,  that's a small area too.  I'm not sure why (outside of PPV buys) they wanted to go there when they could have easily sold out somewhere in the New York area and kept the streak going. 

44 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Dave said Pittsburgh sold about 4.000 tickets the first day.  I have to assume they will end up selling out or close to it.   Charleston sold about 3,000 tickets.   It's setup for 9,000+ I don't know if they'll be able to sell that one out,  that's a small area too.  I'm not sure why (outside of PPV buys) they wanted to go there when they could have easily sold out somewhere in the New York area and kept the streak going. 

This is where the tnt exposure hopefully comes in. They will have way more access to eyeballs on tnt than their YouTube channel. We have to hope they make a great show and create new fans and bring back some old ones. 

17 hours ago, Raziel said:

Well, Khan (or rather, Tony's Dad) owns AEW, but everyone knows the EVP's and Brandi book it.  Ir doesnt help Brandi's case when shes basically been playing Great Value Steph on camera, giving herself the same corporate title Steph has IRL, and Cody has Triple H on the brain.

Yeah, I could pretty much do without both of them.  It's a bummer watching this and getting excited for fresh new company and then we get this monotone charisma vacuum who's just "WWE HHH WWE HHH Dusty Dusty Dusty Dusty" every god damn second.  It's like finding the person of your dreams, just perfect in every way, and you're looking forward to this great life together, and then all they talk about is their ex.

I understand that pain and rejection can be motivators, but this is a new wrestling company and it's feeling so bogged down by Cody's bullshit and his desperate need to troll the company who saw him as nothing but a midcarder. 

Edited by Technico Support

27 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

his desperate need to troll the company who saw him as nothing but a midcarder. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

To be honest, the stuff with Cody doesn't bother me in the least. To an extent, and I think they're at that extent now, you need to let the audience know that you respect them and their other option on national TV has very little respect for them. You need to create that sort of buzz and get people talking and convince them and let them know that you care about them. Very rarely does WWE actually talk to its audience. The last time they did and when it was sincere was forever ago when Vince gave his address in front of Raw where he said WWF would insult the viewers intelligence anymore. Now though, the product is so homogenized and stale that any sort of address would just ring hollow. And seeing as how Cody is the most passionate person about these differences and the best talker it makes sense to have him saying what he's saying.

On the other hand, Brandi I really don't care for. She's not that good in the ring, she's playing the same character Steph plays, and I would almost prefer if she weren't even a character on TV at all. Unfortunately, the women's division for AEW feels pretty threadbare so I suppose you have to keep her around for now.

• Like 3

The issue with Cody's shots at WWE is that they're almost all directed at Triple H, not Vince.  Vince =/= Triple H, and most people that follow and know "Vince runs RAW/SDL, Triple H runs NXT, and NXT is usually better and more "fan oriented"", Cody's shots at Triple H in the "WWE abhors its fans" category rings Hollow, since Triple H is the guy that hires the people that Full Sail chants "Please sign ..." at during the invitational Tournaments and he's doing the Facebook lives post Takeovers and stuff, being more accessable to fans that Vince ever was.  Cody's obsession with Triple H gets even weirder considering the reverence that Trips holds Dusty in, it comes off more a jealously issue with Cody because Dusty taught Triple H how to book and produce a show and not Cody.  

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

DX invading WCW was at least entertaining. Cody smashing a throne with a sledgehammer was goofy and labored.

What did you think of HHH vs Sting at that Wrestlemania? Because "goofy and laboured" sounds pretty accurate to me. WCW was nearly twenty years dead at that point, and he still had a desperate need to prove he himself was better than a WCW Main Eventer.

• Like 2

Would seem that way. I loved him as Mundo but it doesn't feel like a great signing if this is a thing. He's the opposite of the "fresh" approach they want to present. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

BTW, that Omega promo was fire.

Fuckin A right it was. I want him so badly to be the heel final boss in AEW, at least to start out. I love him and his super dismissive, "fuck all you lames" attitude. I want more of that. I would be crazy juiced about a Hangman - Omega program that was just absolutely fucking hate-filled.

• Like 1