DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

1 minute ago, Dewar said:

He tweeted that he went and saw Hobbs and Shaw, and that there was no reaction in the theatre when Roman was on the screen. Like mother fuckers jump out of their seats at a cinema when they see an actor. 

You say that. But I've seen enough phone video of Endgame screenings to know there are a lot of obnoxious people out there. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dewar said:

He tweeted that he went and saw Hobbs and Shaw, and that there was no reaction in the theatre when Roman was on the screen. Like mother fuckers jump out of their seats at a cinema when they see an actor. 

You made search Twitter for this and the results have me in tears.

Hulk Hogan got a pop for his Gremlins 2 cameo. Hugh Jackman’s cameo in First Class got a huge reaction at my screening. Kylo Ren got massive heel heat for killing Han.

Let’s not act like people don’t mark out at theaters. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Hulk Hogan got a pop for his Gremlins 2 cameo. Hugh Jackman’s cameo in First Class got a huge reaction at my screening. Kylo Ren got massive heel heat for killing Han.

Let’s not act like people don’t mark out at theaters. 

Let's not also act like the people that were in Meltzer's theatre not cheering for Roman is indicative of anything.  

Unless you could somehow figure out the reactions of every audience member in the tens of thousands of movie theatres and screenings of Hobbs and Shaw around the world that have occurred, Meltzer's take means absolutely nothing and is thus, terrible.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Let's not also act like the people that were in Meltzer's theatre not cheering for Roman is indicative of anything.  

Unless you could somehow figure out the reactions of every audience member in the tens of thousands of movie theatres and screenings of Hobbs and Shaw around the world that have occurred, Meltzer's take means absolutely nothing and is thus, terrible.

I’ve spoken to many a casual fan, and I’ve basically heard the same thing... “There was another wrestler in the movie? Listen, I remember The Giant in Jingle All The Way. I don’t remember that Roland Regis fellow in Hobbs & Shaw.” They all said it exactly like that. One guy said he heard “Who are you” chants at his showing. Might’ve been an influx of European filmgoers that day.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

On 8/22/2019 at 6:22 AM, HarryArchieGus said:

I agree, but that promo was pretty cornball. He’s presenting himself like a desperate loser.  I can feel in his voice that he knows he isn’t going to win. Having his parents ringside is like Steamboat brining out his little steamer only to lose.  Page seems capable of talking but they should have tried a few tales. Page is gonna get booed in Chicago if he keeps presenting himself as a loser.

So to the Bucks promo.  Just as cliched as possible.  Even suggesting a team they’ve pretty much exclusively battled has never been in the ring with a team like them.  Not horrible but certainly a lame duck promo 

Weak road to this week.

I agree, especially given how Page said Jericho’s weakness was how he was physically desperate for the title, then said Jericho wants the title but went on and on about how he needs it, making himself sound more desperate for the title than he said Jericho was.

The Bucks saying the Lucha Bros were “real life brothers” got an eye roll from me, as did JR casually calling Jericho a sonofabitch in his jacket that was too small for his shirt. At least it was an improvement over all the chest hair in the Spears interview.

Edited by JonnyLaw
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

The Bucks saying the Lucha Bros were “real life brothers” got an eye roll from me

I'm glad this rankled someone else too. I get that the Bucks are as modern as modern can be, and kayfabe has changed, but to say something that basically translates to 'real life brothers, because they're not fake brothers, because this is all fake, remember?' in a promo is pretty jarring.

Maybe there's something to be said for all the Being The Elite filming making it harder for them to switch in and out of kayfabe, so it all becomes one big hodgepodge.

• Like 2

I don't get it. Wrestling has a long history of fake brothers, but more importantly there's the "brotherhood" that long-term tag teams forge that they're saying being actual brothers trumps. This seems like nitpicking.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I don't get it. Wrestling has a long history of fake brothers, but more importantly there's the "brotherhood" that long-term tag teams forge that they're saying being actual brothers trumps. This seems like nitpicking.

It sounds worked-shooty. The fact that it clearly wasn’t intended that way, and they just casually sound like that makes it even worse, IMO. 

Nitpicking would be pointing out they need a tailor and personal shopper for all their announcers because they mostly look unprofessional.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gorman said:

I would understand the Bucks' comments as "they don't just call themselves Lucha Brothers, they are actually brothers, like we are."

Right. Compare them to the Hell Brothers, Brothers of Destruction etc...

Just now, EVA said:

Moxley is officially out for next weekend.

Be interesting to see what they try to throw together for Kenny.  Maybe insert him into the title match to make it a 3-way?

Yeah that’s a bummer. We’ll see what audible they go with. There’s gonna be injuries and monkey wrenches to mess up the best of long term plans. 

31 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Yeah that’s a bummer. We’ll see what audible they go with. There’s gonna be injuries and monkey wrenches to mess up the best of long term plans. 

Not bad...

• Like 3