DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

The great thing about NXT and AEW going head to head is that the corny shit that doesn't work will be filtered out for stuff that does, on both sides. If they're serious about competing and the Librarians gimmick ain't flying, it won't be around for long. On the other hand, if the Librarians start pulling huge numbers, the people will have spoken and I'll have to shut the fuck up about how bad it is.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

I say this as somebody who adores Omega and am fully on board with AEW, as well as not being able to stand anything WWE... I feel like if we're going off these shows since Double or Nothing, NXT will be the superior show out of the gates because of polish and being an established entity with tight understanding of what it is doing and how to achieve its goals. I deplore Gargano and think a lot of the Takeover matches don't live up to the hype, but I haven't been blown away with AEW's ability to pace a show yet and something feels off with it. I know they've been holding back their best matches but that Fight for the Fallen show hasn't aged well at all in my mind.

I feel you, but that was my point earlier: NXT as it is now, extended to two hours *might* have a tight understanding of it's goals, and put forth a decent showing. NXT moving forward as "It's Raw now but everything's yellow" isn't going to achieve anywhere near as highly IMO. If WWE's regular cable/broadcast audience wanted more, their current shows would be doing better. Who knows, maybe WWECW or OG NXT would still be on Syfy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

The great thing about NXT and AEW going head to head is that the corny shit that doesn't work will be filtered out for stuff that does, on both sides. If they're serious about competing and the Librarians gimmick ain't flying, it won't be around for long. On the other hand, if the Librarians start pulling huge numbers, the people will have spoken and I'll have to shut the fuck up about how bad it is.

Absolutely!  This company has a mission to be the best.  Some healthy competition is sooo good.  As you’re saying this will keep them honest.  Especially after they get fully entrenched in their bubble.

I’ve been a fan of the NXT ppvs I’ve seen, but their weekly tv on the other hand (of what I’ve seen) is incredibly lame.  My hope is WWE learns something from the head to head and applies some new strategies (to all their tv).  Maybe forcing their hand to give wrestling fans what they actually want to see. - Some logical to exciting settings for talent to showcase their abilities both in ring and behind the mic.  That said, I don’t see WWE adapting.  I am also prepared for Helmsley’s booking to be exposed as pedestrian and ultimately very boring.  But I hope I’m wrong.  Anyway, very very exciting.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

The problem on wwe’s side, unless nxt steamrolls aew in the ratings, which I doubt, they’re going to start hotshotting and putting Rollins and reigns all over the show. They’re gonna take everything that makes nxt good and ruin it. This seems pretty inevitable to me. I hope I’m wrong, it seems fun to imagine flipping back and forth between live wrestling shows again. But I just don’t see how Wwe doesn’t end up screwing this up. I think they’re making a big mistake. They can’t creatively fill five hours of tv,  so lets make it 7!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, matt925 said:

I just don’t see how Wwe doesn’t end up screwing this up.

Exactly. As long as Vince is involved NXT will feature Rollins, Reigns, Orton, etc and a bunch of rehashed angles and lame outdated potty humor. 

• Like 1

What does everybody make of Kalisto and Gran Metalik tweeting their upcoming employment status?  I know neither, but from what I gather they’re more talent being wasted.  Would they be good pick ups for the Tony Khan group?  Any match recommendations for either?

13 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

What does everybody make of Kalisto and Gran Metalik tweeting their upcoming employment status?  I know neither, but from what I gather they’re more talent being wasted.  Would they be good pick ups for the Tony Khan group?  Any match recommendations for either?

For Gran Metalik just go watch his Cruiserweight Classic run on the network unless there's some good stuff on YouTube,  the lucha fans will weigh in on that.   Kalisto had some great matches in CZW on the main roster he's been pretty much a jobber outside of a quick U.S. title run. 

Why not both? Kalisto hasn't done much ever to impress me but Dorada was lights out great in CMLL and New Japan before wasting away in WWE. I'd be all over that shit if I were AEW. 

Dorada had great matches with junior heavyweight Omega in NJPW and vs. Rey Escorpion, Cavernario, and Hechicero in Mexico if memory serves me correctly. I mostly watched him in NJPW though. His CWC was also great, as Niners suggested.

50 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I've never gotten why WWE focused so much on Kalisto over Metalik. Metalik usually has an easier time getting over just on his wrestling alone than Kalisto does.

Kalisto speaks English and I believe I read that Metalk doesn't or doesn't very well so that's Vince. 

Kalisto is never going to sniff a push again after the "good lucha thing" gaffe. LHP is about as good as it will get for Metalik, Lince, and Kalisto. There really should be a CW tag title. That would be something for them. LHP vs. Burch & Lorcan would a fun feud if there was a CW tag title.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

22 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I’m really looking forward just to the physical act of changing the channel when one show or another is in a lull. As bad as Bischoff’s TNA was, that brief Monday night competition brought back a lot of memories and made me feel like a teenager again. 

I'm very much looking forward to doing this for the first time in 18 years.  It's going to be so, so nice to do and with DVR I won't miss anything.

As for pacing the shows based off of the specials I'm personally disregarding that as that's gonna be different from the TV shows.  I would imagine the pacing for TV will be more focused and even if it takes a couple episodes to get it right I feel it'll still be a great show on day one.

9 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Kalisto speaks English and I believe I read that Metalk doesn't or doesn't very well so that's Vince. 

Considering that he's from Chicago, I would certainly hope that was the case. (Just lost it picturing him cutting promos like Bill Swerski.)

The worst part by far of WWE scripted "comedy" is the announcers fake-laughing like 1975 Richard Pryor is out there. Contrast that to the R-Truth spiders bit years ago that had Cole legit crying with laughter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OWE-UK has announced tapings for London and Liverpool next month. They haven't said what they're taping for, mind. But they are pushing Marko Stunt & Luchasaurus vs Arrows of Hungary. Also Stronghearts vs T-Cool & Monkey King.

• Like 1