DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

I was gonna start this up this weekend to go with the start of a new month but since y'all closed another thread - gonna start now.

This is going to be the catch all for all the AEW discussion. No need for separate show threads since it is basically just two PPVs until TV starts and once the weekly TV starts, I am probably going to reorganize again (as part of other board changes)

The Moxley on Jericho's podcast discussion is in the general thread so put that there.

A general word - the hyperbole (in both directions) regarding this company is out of control. Since I am tired of constantly closing AEW threads - I am gonna have to start send folks away if it doesn't change (and I generally like most of the people who post in the threads).

• Like 1

And this comment sorta touches on the Moxley/Jericho podcast but it is a general comment that is more fitting for here.

I know Jericho is trying to be a "True heel" now with his character but it still comes across as fake when he is yelling at fans but then still being all "Buy these products on my podcast. Oh and buy cruise tickets!"

I mean he being all "This podcast was recording before Moxley attacked me!" at the start of the podcast was so stupid because everyone could tell he isn't serious.

But Jericho is gonna Jericho

• Like 1

Getting irritated at a Wrestler for trying to work his fans is like getting irritated at a dog for being hairy and saying Woof.

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

Getting irritated at a Wrestler for trying to work his fans is like getting irritated at a dog for being hairy and saying Woof.

I think it is more the effort - or lack of effort in this case - being put in.

But this could also be me just being over Jericho's "act" for the last few years

37 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And this comment sorta touches on the Moxley/Jericho podcast but it is a general comment that is more fitting for here.

I know Jericho is trying to be a "True heel" now with his character but it still comes across as fake when he is yelling at fans but then still being all "Buy these products on my podcast. Oh and buy cruise tickets!"

I mean he being all "This podcast was recording before Moxley attacked me!" at the start of the podcast was so stupid because everyone could tell he isn't serious.

But Jericho is gonna Jericho

I don’t know. All I know is that ungrateful son of a bitch Jon isn’t getting that rib-eye pack from Omaha Steaks.

Edit: No wonder I dropped Jericho’s pod  quickly(And wrestling podcasts in general outside of Post Wrestling). It’s nothing but (For those about to rock)wall to wall advertising. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

There has been a lot of arguing going on in these AEW threads, but I'm just happy to be excited about wrestling again. I know there's plenty of good stuff on the indies (I've only just discovered Fite thanks to Double or Nothing), Japan (big shout out to my bank who stopped my card and my NJPW sub because they thought it was something dodgy), but I've needed a coherent, big-time, weekly wrestling show to get into for far too long. Its great that ITV are (likely) picking up AEW's TV, because here in the UK it hasn't always been easy to follow wrestling. 

AEW can only be good for pro wrestling. If WWE's ratings are tanking weekly, and AEW are going well, WWE will have to re-think their strategy. Maybe they won't. But I just want to watch a good wrestling product, and I'll happily tune in to WWE again if I hear about how good their show is getting. For now, though, it isn't the show for me. 

So hopefully AEW can continue the buzz and good vibes going forward with their summer shows leading up to their TV debut. Its all very exciting. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I think it is more the effort - or lack of effort in this case - being put in.

But this could also be me just being over Jericho's "act" for the last few years

I'm not going to lie - I'm not the biggest fan of the sanctity of kayfabe, but it is jarring and creates a disconnect when Jericho tries to have a hate filled feud with Kenny...and then has Kenny on his podcast a week after their WK match.

This is similar to that.

48 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I don’t know. All I know is that ungrateful son of a bitch Jon isn’t getting that rib-eye pack from Omaha Steaks.

Edit: No wonder I dropped Jericho’s pod  quickly(And wrestling podcasts in general outside of Post Wrestling). It’s nothing but (For those about to rock)wall to wall advertising. 

This is my other problem with Jericho's podcast and all of Conrad's podcasts. The constant barrage of advertisements. I know you can fast forward through them, but plenty of others put their ads up front and then the rest of the podcast plays ad free. That's better than the constant pimping of fucking Bluechew or Truecar or Four Hymns or whatever the fuck.

Since these are specific to AEW - I am mentioning them here (from the Moxley/Jericho podcast)

- It basically came across that Jericho is the one who pitched AEW to Moxley. It also was the perfect storm with Double or Nothing being in Vegas.

- Moxley looks at it as being in the position of wanting to do whatever he can to help get more eyeballs on the product. His example was basically if someone is flipping through and goes "oh that is the dude from the Shield. Okay who the fuck is this Hangman Page guy. AEW is awesome!" So he said he is excited to work with anyone in the promotion.

- Both Moxley and Jericho noted that perhaps one of their most important roles early on is going to be helping guys learn how to be on a live weekly TV show. (Jericho noted that Omega said to him a could of weeks ago that it would be an adjustment since he had never done if before). I really could only think of Cody and The Addiction as maybe done so (there are probably more)

41 minutes ago, Craig H said:

This is my other problem with Jericho's podcast and all of Conrad's podcasts. The constant barrage of advertisements. I know you can fast forward through them, but plenty of others put their ads up front and then the rest of the podcast plays ad free. That's better than the constant pimping of fucking Bluechew or Truecar or Four Hymns or whatever the fuck.

The argument the internet personality always makes is that the ads pay for the podcast/ channel/ whatever, and otherwise they'd have to charge a subscription fee, and they so love their fans they don't want to do that. Then they upload a house tour or do a My New Car video and you realise they're a millionaire and have been for ages, and they absolutely could afford to do ad-free content if they wanted. Just greedy. Or living beyond their means to a comical degree.

• Like 3

The worst thing about the Jericho is how he tries to integrate them into the show. 

And he seems to have more spots disrupting the flow than just about any other pod in my rotation. 

• Thanks 2

Who could the mystery partner be?

I hope they don't do something lame and put Jericho in the match. I want a debut.

I can think of a handful of people i'd love to see put in the match put they are all signed somewhere (ROH, Impact, MLW etc). Who is someone not signed anywhere that would be an actual surprise and generate buzz.

My guess is Joey Ryan. Yeah the dick spots would be abundant and some people think it contradicts the seriousness  but Joey Ryan would actually have to wrestle in the match and not just rely on the spots.

I know he's still signed to the E but for me Lio Rush would be who I'd book in the match. Be a spotty 6 man but a little spots never killed someone.

1 hour ago, chanandlerbong said:

I'm in love with this tron. It's so weird - it fits that team perfectly.

They talk about aliens and ghosts and how you wipe your butthole on their highspots series all of the time so the aliens stuff is a nod to that. So far I am incredibly unimpressed with the music of AEW though. That song sucks. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

They talk about aliens and ghosts and how you wipe your butthole on their highspots series all of the time so the aliens stuff is a nod to that. So far I am incredibly unimpressed with the music of AEW though. That song sucks. 

This is my biggest complaint. Outside of the songs for Cody, the Bucks, and Jericho, all songs they had before, I'm very underwhelmed by the music for wrestlers. CFO$ don't grow on trees, but it would be nice if they did.

That brings to mind another issue with DoN. It was the same thing as All In where the music volume on TV sounded low and/or hollow. I hope they let that play through more for broadcasts.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

- Both Moxley and Jericho noted that perhaps one of their most important roles early on is going to be helping guys learn how to be on a live weekly TV show. (Jericho noted that Omega said to him a could of weeks ago that it would be an adjustment since he had never done if before). I really could only think of Cody and The Addiction as maybe done so (there are probably more)

Dustin Rhodes would be be obvious one, but we don't know what his schedule is going to be. One more match and retire, Undertaker schedule for a few years, or fulltime weekly. Probably not the last one. He would make some guys look tiny though. Janela looked small next to Moxley, and Dustin's got a few inches on Mox.