Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
RIPPA

AEW - SUMMER 2019

Recommended Posts

It's the greatest signing in the history of this great sport!

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's he going to be doing? Because I can't see a four man commentary booth being a thing. Excalibur is indispensable, Jim Ross is a legend and Alex Marvez also works there, for as long as he wants to apparently. Possibly move Marvez into a backstage interviewer role* and put Tony on the commentary crew? Or have Schiavone presenting the show and introducing segments, whilst throwing it to the commentary team for the actual matches, like Karyn Bryant on UFC on ESPN?

*  Was Alicia Atout just for DoN? Because I thought they'd given her the job long-term, but she's not been seen on an AEW show since. Admittedly there've only been the two, but still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AxB said:

What's he going to be doing? Because I can't see a four man commentary booth being a thing. Excalibur is indispensable, Jim Ross is a legend and Alex Marvez also works there, for as long as he wants to apparently. Possibly move Marvez into a backstage interviewer role* and put Tony on the commentary crew? Or have Schiavone presenting the show and introducing segments, whilst throwing it to the commentary team for the actual matches, like Karyn Bryant on UFC on ESPN?

*  Was Alicia Atout just for DoN? Because I thought they'd given her the job long-term, but she's not been seen on an AEW show since. Admittedly there've only been the two, but still.

I think one guy is going to have a reduced role and will fill in when necessary or they rotate them.

Bellator hired Mauro Ranallo AND Mike Goldberg (although I think technically it might be a Viacom crossover with Mauro also doing Showtime Boxing). I mean when it comes to MMA, Mauro is way better than Goldie, but they essentially do the same thing. Thus, when it came time, Goldberg did a vast majority of the shows while Mauro popped up every once in a while to the point where Mauro got frustrated enough to tweet about it. Bellator hired Goldie trying to earn brownie points after UFC unceremoniously dropped him with no proper send off. Hiring Mauro made no sense because they really only do a two man booth. I think they may have done a three man team once (IIRC one of the cards after the first MSG show where both debuted for Bellator), but it was horrible because Mauro didn't want to talk over Goldberg's already shitty commentary. With JR and Schiavone already knowing each other (unlike Ranallo and Goldie) for like 30+ years, I doubt it's going to be on the level where they're stepping on each other's toes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hour one, is Tony, and Arn. Where Arn slowly gets more, and more bitter week to week, until the only thing he looks forward to is hearing the fans chant his name, and the salute he does towards them.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on his work in MLW over the past year or so it appears that Schiavone really hasn't lost much of a step as a commentator and is probably better at the job than JR is at this point so I think he's a solid hire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like X quite a bit but if they wanted to they could do a JR and Tony booth and it'd work well. They did it in Crockett and were a great team.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2019 at 3:56 PM, Craig H said:

Sounds like Tony Schiavone is probably going to be working for WWE or AEW soon. They announced on the podcast this week that Tony's last live show would be in September, which usually happens when someone gets hired somewhere.

I posted about this on Wednesday, but I didn't expect it to be announced so soon. Good signing.

Edited by Craig H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would never happen because i don’t think it’s possible, but it would be wild to see AEW run the Ryman/Grand Ole Opry in Nashville.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Casey said:

It would never happen because i don’t think it’s possible, but it would be wild to see AEW run the Ryman/Grand Ole Opry in Nashville.

It's possible. Metal and hard rock bands do shows at the Ryman all the time. I saw video of The Scorpions playing there and I was like "wait, isn't that the Opry". 

I don't know if the renovations are finished yet, but if they're coming to New York I'd love to see them run at the The King's Theater here in Brooklyn. I mean the set up they had for Fyter Fest showed they're willing to do something unconventional show wise.

They could also run at Radio City. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2019 at 12:21 PM, Technico Support said:

No invasions.  No "second coming of WCW."  Just let it be a good wrestling promotion. 

 

8 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

According to the Observer, Tony Schiavone has agreed to a deal with AEW.

Oh well

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Craig H said:

I posted about this on Wednesday, but I didn't expect it to be announced so soon. Good signing.

Really? I watched a recent MLW podcast where  he stepped in to announce (the DBSJr/Thatcher show), and Tony sounded like he could fucking care less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He sounded real good on the first set of MLW episodes he did. Then he left for a bit, but came back, and sounded okay. ...and yeah, like @Marty Sugar said, he didn’t sound all that enthusiastic for the last set. But then again, the last few episodes of MLW have sounded awful. They’ve always been able to make it sound like they’re live for some shows, but these episodes sound like the commentary was recorded in a parking lot inside a Honda Fit.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, AxB said:

Less than 24 hours until we know the next two cities. Anyone want to make a prediction? I'll take New York City, then Baltimore.

I'm already going to the DC show (Yay!) but while the possibility of it coming to Baltimore is fantastic for me that's going to take a hit on my wallet (hoping to move out in a couple months)  But if they're gonna do it might as well do the Baltimore Arena (will always call it that no matter what they call it now) as I'm pretty sure they can fill at least most of it.  But the safe bet of UMBC isn't a bad option either.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they do run Baltimore - I hope all the folks who bitch about the WWE doing things to hurt AEW respond in kind to AEW doing it to ROH

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

If they do run Baltimore - I hope all the folks who bitch about the WWE doing things to hurt AEW respond in kind to AEW doing it to ROH

I get your point but ROH doesn't need AEW to hurt them.  They're doing a good enough job hurting themselves as it is.

But I would do Baltimore Arena anyway.  If they had strong PPV buys from Baltimore and other places then might as well go big for the first time there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

It's possible. Metal and hard rock bands do shows at the Ryman all the time. I saw video of The Scorpions playing there and I was like "wait, isn't that the Opry". 

I don't know if the renovations are finished yet, but if they're coming to New York I'd love to see them run at the The King's Theater here in Brooklyn. I mean the set up they had for Fyter Fest showed they're willing to do something unconventional show wise.

They could also run at Radio City. 

If they are running NYC, they have to do MSG or Barclays.  I like the idea of doing something unconventional but in New York, they need to stick to the big guns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The BTE where they announce the towns should be up now. Not that I can watch it at work exactly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charleston, West Virginia on October 30 per today's BTE. Skipped over a bunch of Cody signing to get to that 😆

Edited by chanandlerbong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Altoona, PA and Muncie, IN!

Muncie, IN would be great for the possibility of a Bob Ross tie-in. The Joy of Painting w/ Bob Ross was filmed in Muncie, IN.

The Joy of Wrestling w/ AEW

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I get your point but ROH doesn't need AEW to hurt them.  They're doing a good enough job hurting themselves as it is.

But I would do Baltimore Arena anyway.  If they had strong PPV buys from Baltimore and other places then might as well go big for the first time there.

"We need to sabotage a company we've already lapped not even a year into our existence to their seventeen and a half."

Those dudes are diabolical.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, chanandlerbong said:

Charleston, West Virginia on October 30 per today's BTE. Skipped over a bunch of Cody signing to get to that 😆

Moving down the East coast from the looks of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

October 23: Pittsburgh (Petersen Events Center)
October 30: Charleston, WV (Charleston Coliseum)

Going all "Backyard Brawl" on us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So yeah, they answered a question about whether the company would have a video game and Nick gave (even for the Bucks) a very cocky "yup". That AKI game is happening and there's nothing you can say to stop me from thinking that. 

The Cutler/Guevara bit was great! OC made me laugh. Pittsburgh on the 23rd, Charleston, WV on the 30th for the Halloween episode. 

So far we have late May and Labour Day weekend for PPVs and they've said they will be doing 4 a year. When do you think the other 2 should happen and what zany set props should they have? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...