DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Yeah, I could pretty much do without both of them.  It's a bummer watching this and getting excited for fresh new company and then we get this monotone charisma vacuum who's just "WWE HHH WWE HHH Dusty Dusty Dusty Dusty" every god damn second.  It's like finding the person of your dreams, just perfect in every way, and you're looking forward to this great life together, and then all they talk about is their ex.

I understand that pain and rejection can be motivators, but this is a new wrestling company and it's feeling so bogged down by Cody's bullshit and his desperate need to troll the company who saw him as nothing but a midcarder. 

Such hate for a worked attempt at declaring war, no?  Isn't it kind of a smart idea to get ppl thinking and talking in this manner?  It may seem far in the past for a contemporary fan, but for some of us Helmsley being force fed as the main star in the early to mid 00s was the end.  If you're trying to bring back the fans that left, and I am one of them, I don't think it's the worst idea to lay a surface level 'worked' attack on the WWE guy who is maybe most visibly responsible for the downfall of WWE (during his time as a performer).  Hunter bored me to tears with his awful promos and pedestrian matches, but also was legit responsible for so many guys hitting the proverbial glass ceiling.  Ultimately it's the Chairman's decision, but Hunter is not without responsibility.  

And 'monotone charisma vacuum'!? Ha, to each their own. Knowing he, Cody, will be featured heavily I'm happy to be a fan.  I think he does a lot with what he has in the ring, and is tremendous on the mic.  But again to each their own.  If I saw he and Brandi as even remotely as fun-sucking as Steph and Hunter I'd already be tuned out.    

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

On the other hand, Brandi I really don't care for. She's not that good in the ring, she's playing the same character Steph plays, and I would almost prefer if she weren't even a character on TV at all. Unfortunately, the women's division for AEW feels pretty threadbare so I suppose you have to keep her around for now.

Obviously she struggled in ring on that first go, and shows little to no potential of being any better down the road, but her promo ability, if that recent Road to means anything, is far superior to Stephanie.  Brandi is absolutely gorgeous and has at least a modicum of charisma.  Her work as a manager IMO has been excellent.  I'd love to see her stay in that role.  Steph this gal is not.  I'm of the belief that she's going to be busting her ass to not be seen as getting a political ride to the top.  I also believe if she continues to struggle in-ring while others progress that she'll be smart enough to remove herself.  All that said, I could be completely wrong.  Just a feeling.  

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

DX invading WCW was at least entertaining. Cody smashing a throne with a sledgehammer was goofy and labored.

I preferred Cody smashing the throne.  I thought it was amusing, and enjoyed the pop.  I've seen that WCW invasion clip more times than I care to remember, and I'm always amazed how such a meh bunch of skits has endured as something special.  In that moment on that Monday night it seemed kind of an exciting thing. Until nothing happened.  Nothing at all.  I never found it quite as hilarious as those who seem to think it was some sort of moment to remember. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

DX invading WCW was at least entertaining. 

That skit, looking back, was kinda lame. But it may seem more fun in my mind had it not been replayed ad nauseam for the last 20 years due to how "legendary" it was supposed to have been. 

• Like 3

I think the WCW invasion angle is to Triple H what Wrestlemania 3 is to Hulk Hogan. In both moments the guy felt he was the coolest person on the planet right then. So they mythologise it in their own minds, and having a platform also mythologise it to anyone who will listen. H being a better liar than Hogan, his exaggerations get called out less frequently. Although it must be said that it was a jeep, not a bloody tank.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Never thought a post claiming that Brandi was a better promo than Stephanie would ever see the light of day. This is some amazing Haterade being consumed. 

If Brandi has five minutes worth of material, her promo will be five minutes. Steff? Twenty minutes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Never thought a post claiming that Brandi was a better promo than Stephanie would ever see the light of day. This is some amazing Haterade being consumed. 

Brandi's promo work in AEW has been consistently good (not talking about her ring work) to excellent (see the Road To from a couple weeks back).  Stephanie McMahon is one of the most irritating characters and promos in the history of the industry.  That said, I was a non-viewer for about 15 years, did I miss some promo or hilarious skit from Steph that would suggest I'd missed the boat on her talents? 

16 minutes ago, Mr Harms said:

That skit, looking back, was kinda lame. But it may seem more fun in my mind had it not been replayed ad nauseam for the last 20 years due to how "legendary" it was supposed to have been. 

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

I think the WCW invasion angle is to Triple H what Wrestlemania 3 is to Hulk Hogan. In both moments the guy felt he was the coolest person on the planet right then. So they mythologise it in their own minds, and having a platform also mythologise it to anyone who will listen. H being a better liar than Hogan, his exaggerations get called out less frequently. Although it must be said that it was a jeep, not a bloody tank.

It was okay when it was happening. WWE trying to pass it off as revolutionary after the fact made it incredibly lame.

• Like 2

Apologies, if I missed this being shared...

PWInsider reports that Impact Wrestling will be keeping the LAX name now that Santana and Ortiz have officially left the company. So wherever they show up, expect them to have a different name. They previously used the name EYFBO on the independent scene.

PWInsider also reports that even though he had worked as an agent and producer for Impact recently, Lance Storm is not expected to come into the promotion full time. He had previously announced that he will shut down Storm Wrestling Academy and would work full time in wrestling, but Impact is not where he will be going.

Is Lance still in ring shape?  Any chance he's making a comeback in AEW?  He'd make a great Gino to Chris' Chris.

Perhaps Santana and Ortiz will benefit from losing that weak acronym.  

Edit: I mean in 'dynamic duo' theory.  Gino was one of the most charismatic performers in the history of the business, and well, Lance doesn't compare in that regard.  I guess in this silly comparison Chris would be Gino to a Chris Lance, if ya know what I mean.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

59 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Such hate for a worked attempt at declaring war, no?  Isn't it kind of a smart idea to get ppl thinking and talking in this manner?  It may seem far in the past for a contemporary fan, but for some of us Helmsley being force fed as the main star in the early to mid 00s was the end.  If you're trying to bring back the fans that left, and I am one of them, I don't think it's the worst idea to lay a surface level 'worked' attack on the WWE guy who is maybe most visibly responsible for the downfall of WWE (during his time as a performer).  Hunter bored me to tears with his awful promos and pedestrian matches, but also was legit responsible for so many guys hitting the proverbial glass ceiling.  Ultimately it's the Chairman's decision, but Hunter is not without responsibility.  

And 'monotone charisma vacuum'!? Ha, to each their own.

Yeah, I just don't like him.  Everything he does comes off and so tryhard and wannabe.  Wannabe Dusty, wannabe indy star, wannabe main eventer.  His whole act feels so put-on.  Nothing about him is believable to me.  No biggie, everybody has different tastes.  I don't like Will Ospreay either, and Meltzer says he's the best in the world right now.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Perhaps Santana and Ortiz will benefit from losing that weak acronym.  

If they come to AEW I wonder what video game they’ll be named after.

Mushroom Kingdom Killahz?!

Edited by OctopusCinema

That Kenny Omega promo was absolutely fantastic.  I've been catching up with Omega's NJPW run which I'd completely missed. His matches are, of course, spectacular.  But so are a lot of his promos.  He's absolutely hilarious without making himself a goof.  And gets across his determination without looking like a really bad actor.  At least what I've seen.

It's weird how the initial success of their TV show ticket sales has warped my opinion on Pittsburgh and Charleston. I was predicting 2-4k for their weekly show once they settled down and they've done 3 and 4k on the first weekend and I'm thinking it's a disappointment, more Pittsburgh than Charleston because of its size and proximity to the other big markets allowing for out of towners. It'll be interesting to see if their first two weeks on TV help sales at all.

• Like 1

Cody sounds like he's putting on an act. And not a very good one. I find it near impossible to hear authenticity in his voice. In the content in his words? Maybe when you trim some of the over-dramatic fat, sure. But his voice sounds like he's putting on airs. He speaks the way he hears other actors. 

Maybe this is what he learned from his experience on a CW superhero show. I dunno. 

• Like 2

If they aren't going to be LAX any more, presumably they'll just start using EYFBO again (they were EYFBO at Beyond Americanrana in July which I was watching this morning; They came to ringside to watch Chris Dickinson vs Daisuke Sekimoto, which was a good call because it was awesome). The real question is, is it Santana and Ortiz, or Mike Draztik and the Funky Monkey Angel Ortiz?

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

FIRE CONCERN TROLL TORPEDOES!  *aoogah aoogah aoogah*

How many tickets are left for WWE MSG? Last I heard, a fair few were unsold.

42 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

If they come to AEW I wonder what video game they’ll be named after.

Mushroom Kingdom Killahz?!

i don't see why they can't call themselves by their Beyond wrestling name.  Something like EYFBO.   Although I guess if you can't call the Super Smash Brothers that name then maybe it is an issue.

Or what the guy 2 minutes ago just said

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1