DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

4 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Countering Concern Trolling with Whataboutism?

Why not? The best way to counter an irrelevant misinformed argument is with an even less relevant, even less informed one.

It is interesting that the people predicting AEW's rapid demise are completely ignoring that the Khan family is wealthier than the McMahon family. Much, much wealthier.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

Why not? The best way to counter an irrelevant misinformed argument is with an even less relevant, even less informed one.

It is interesting that the people predicting AEW's rapid demise are completely ignoring that the Khan family is wealthier than the McMahon family. Much, much wealthier.

Shahid Khan didn't get to be wealthier than Vince McMahon by pissing money away.  There's a time limit he's going to wait before he demands to see a return on his Investment.  He isn't Bob Carter either.  Tony had to pitch that the promotion would be able to turn a profit within a couple years before he forked over the cash.  

I'd be willing to buy Tony jettison the EVP's and try something else before shutting the doors.  And that would be at least a year out.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1

EYFBO? That doesn't quite have a ring too it.

27 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Cody sounds like he's putting on an act. And not a very good one. I find it near impossible to hear authenticity in his voice. In the content in his words? Maybe when you trim some of the over-dramatic fat, sure. But his voice sounds like he's putting on airs. He speaks the way he hears other actors. 

Of all the wrestlers you could complain about I think you're stretching your personal hate just a little here.  What you're saying is true of 98% of what I'm seeing of the industry right now, but to my eyes and ears Cody comes off as very natural and relaxed.  He talks without basing everything he's saying on cliches.  In my mind that's reason to cheer not jeer.  To be fair, I pretty much only saw Cody for the first time post-WWE in ROH.  I've seen some work in NJPW, and now AEW.  Perhaps I missed some crappy promos from his WWE run that has influenced your opinion?

My general opinion of Cody's promos is that he's gone full on trying to cosplay his old man, without any of the nuance.  But I do find generally your opinions of his promos depends on your opinions of him in general.

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Asshole Kenny is always the best Kenny.  Very good promo and it's probably better that it happened this way?   Moxley vs. Omega is a really great feud to start up TV with.   

Agreed. Even when he's a babyface, he needs a chip on his shoulder. Once he won the championship in NJPW he seemed a little content until the Tanahashi feud and that was just... weird though the initial stuff was well done despite being too inside baseball. It was, surprisingly, only when he went back in time to the cleaner shit around the NYE festivities that it got silly and failed to make sense.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Of all the wrestlers you could complain about I think you're stretching your personal hate just a little here.  

And yet I think he's had the most interesting matches on most of their shows so far. Not sure what "personal hate" you're talking about. 

Oyaji, your friend sounds very perceptive. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

4 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

All I hear imagining it in my headbrain is Old MacDonald Had a Farm. 

Remember the Australian wrestler Dingo that used to work ROH? If you don't, his ring introduction was D-I-N-G-O and Dingo was his name-o. Naturally being from Australia, his theme was Men at Work's "Land Down Under".

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Cody's promos typically sound very smooth and not forced. The only time something even sounded contrived, to me anyway, was at DoN when he shakily said "I need a brother!" And even then it worked because it was a fucking awesome moment.

• Like 2

I bought the voice crack as legit at the time. It only started to seem fake after Nick Jackson started mocking it every week.

27 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It does when you chant it E-Y-FBO with shorter gaps in between FBO.

Like that disco song, D-I-SCO. nb: I'm the only person who thinks the "The! Elite! The the Elite!"  chant is a messed up cover of (M)obscene by Marilyn Manson.

• Like 1

Perhaps.

As far as Johnny Impact/ Mundo/ Morrison/ Nitro goes, it was pretty obvious he was going to AEW when his Impact deal expired and nobody announced they'd signed him. WWE, ROH, NJPW and Impact would all have let people know the second he signed. AEW were the only ones who would keep him a surprise.

Also, seeing as he changes his surname often, but his wife never does, I'll be calling him Johnny Valkyrie for the next while.

Two things about this...

Shad Kahn hit a home run in life and in business... Vince thinks he hit a triple when he was born on third base. Kahn wants to make money and be profitable.

It's not surprising to me that ticket sales are slow in non smarky markets. Casual and lapsed fans don't know who most of these guys are. You have one major name in Jericho, a couple of guys who are instantly recognizable in Cody and John Moxley and that's it. Omega, the Bucks and Hangman Page may have been on ROH on Sinclair... but they still don't have the pull. I had a casual fan ask me if Hangman Page was DDP's son. It'll take time and good TV to get them going.

It's like the business plan was to rely on their buddies to leave the WWE and it hasn't happened the way they planned.

It’s better for everybody if AEW is forced to prove themselves before they steamroll these, as you said, non-smarky markets.  They’re selling tickets tho, so there doesn’t really seem to be any reason to worry.  However close they come to selling out will be just fine.

Not sure what you mean by their friends not jumping aboard?  Other than Gallows/Anderson who did you expect to jump?  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KidNatural said:

I'm sure Styles, Bryan, the Revival, Sasha Banks, Nak, Balor, Rusev and Harper all came up as well... Harper seems to be the only flight risk currently.

Rusev? He's asked for a hiatus and allegedly asked for his release last year. I'd say he and Harper are the likeliest, yeah. Wouldn't be shocked in the least to see Sasha or especially the Revival in AEW too though I don't think their contracts are up until next spring.

13 minutes ago, KidNatural said:

I'm sure Styles, Bryan, the Revival, Sasha Banks, Nak, Balor, Rusev and Harper all came up as well... Harper seems to be the only flight risk currently.

None of those names are free agents.  That’s not realistic.  There seems to be little question that both Harper and Revival will jump when their contracts expire.  Rusev seems to be a possibility- when of course his contract expires.  Is Sasha Banks a real get?  I’ve honestly never seen her.  And Danielson and Balor are locked in, but I’m sure if aew pull off their mission, come free agency both will be weighing their options.  Again I don’t think they failed on this front in any way but fan fantasy booking.

Edit: further, I like the roster.  I see lots of potential with what they have.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1