Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
RIPPA

AEW - SUMMER 2019

Recommended Posts

Petersen is a great building. I'm gonna try and roadtrip out for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you'd think they gotta be doing some sort of late November/early December Starrcade equivalent. That would then leave February as the probable outcome for the last PPV show to debut (SUPERBRAWL!). I get not wanting to be WCW mkII but there is some sweet and easy nostalgia to tap into without making brain dead decisions on the regular. They filed for Bash at the Beach, they should fucking use it. Same with Battlebowl, even if you moved away from the silliness of the "RANDOMLY DRAWN... OH MY GOD TAG PARTNERS ARE AGAINST EACH OTHER... AND TEAMED WITH HATED RIVALS" shtick of the first round. But yeah, I would be happy with just Bash at the Beach and Halloween Havoc (bring back the demon inflatable!). Schiavone's work in the '80s and early '90s gets kind of forgotten with the hyperbole madness of the Monday Night War, but he was one of the best (especially when teamed with Ventura) and when motivated he can still do the job. I imagine he didn't like working for hotdogs in MLW and will be a little more engaged now that he's making real money. I have no idea how they are going to set-up their commentary team now that they have four guys. Ideally this would mean Marvez is shifted into a studio/backstage role for now and JR would be trotted out for main events while Excalibur and Tony do the lion's share of announcing.

And, yes, I'm a broken record but they've talked up the AKI games, Kenny tweeted in Japanese that he'd like to talk to Syn Sophia, to which Syn Sophia said they followed him. They want it, it's just a matter of getting Syn Sophia on board and away from making anime girl games for a hot minute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

Does Vince own the Bunkhouse Stampede IP? 

I believe Cody was able to trademark it earlier this year.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bet they’ll announce the next ppv at all out, and that will be Madison square garden. Week 5 will be interesting, that isn’t a large market at all, right? That can’t be an instant sellout. Right? Maybe that’s the first real test. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, matt925 said:

I bet they’ll announce the next ppv at all out, and that will be Madison square garden. Week 5 will be interesting, that isn’t a large market at all, right? That can’t be an instant sellout. Right? Maybe that’s the first real test. 

In general - Pittsburgh is a larger media market than Baltimore which everyone was predicting (24 to 26)

Plus - again - they are supposedly using the streaming numbers to help drive their selections

Of those two - I would say West Virginia is a bigger "risk"

BTW - per the WON story about it

Quote

The Petersen Events Center lists a capacity of 12,508 for basketball and 9,000 for end stage concerts. The Charleston Coliseum has 13,500 seats.

EDIT - Okay for some reason, I had flipped the order in my head.

So yes - Week 5 is probably the first "test"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something to consider: Charleston has a bunch of colleges (Marshall, Morehead State, WVU, UK etc) within a decent drive. They may be trying to kill a bunch of birds with one stone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pete said:

Something to consider: Charleston has a bunch of colleges (Marshall, Morehead State, WVU, UK etc) within a decent drive. They may be trying to kill a bunch of birds with one stone.

Yeah, when this venture started up, I thought about all the college towns that WCW used to cater to, and how the WWF/WWE always ignored that market even at their peak success. It’s one of those demos AEW should be aiming at to build their future base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

If they do run Baltimore - I hope all the folks who bitch about the WWE doing things to hurt AEW respond in kind to AEW doing it to ROH

I think they have done enough damage to Ring of Honor by leaving the company to begin with.  You can also argue that they did enough damage to ROH when they WERE in the company by being booked like the only shit that matters.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I like X quite a bit but if they wanted to they could do a JR and Tony booth and it'd work well. They did it in Crockett and were a great team.  

Nothing against Schiavone really, and I'm sure they were great in the 80s, but fucking hell I don't think I can watch a wrestling show with Ross & Schiavone. We are not much more than 100 days from the Twenties.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AEW has been working on the chemistry of this commentary team, and All Out will be their third show together. I'm guessing Tony will be running the Control Center.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I think they have done enough damage to Ring of Honor by leaving the company to begin with.  You can also argue that they did enough damage to ROH when they WERE in the company by being booked like the only shit that matters.

Not trying to fully absolve them of it but wouldn't that be the fault of Delirious and whoever else instead of the talent?  I'm sure he could have found a way to elevate some non-Elite folks to put them on somewhat equal footing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Not trying to fully absolve them of it but wouldn't that be the fault of Delirious and whoever else instead of the talent?  I'm sure he could have found a way to elevate some non-Elite folks to put them on somewhat equal footing.

Definitely so.  I have never gotten the vibe that the Bucks or Kenny or Cody whined about their push in other companies.  

Oh and the Bucks better be scared a little bit.  Moving NXT head to head wasn't the first and probably won't be the last.

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once AEW TV starts up my eyes will be glued to that.    NXT I can catch anytime. I'm sure NXT will have the better ratings though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

Once AEW TV starts up my eyes will be glued to that.    NXT I can catch anytime. I'm sure NXT will have the better ratings though.

Is this because you think AEW "needs the ratings" or is it because you don't think they will have any sort of OnDemand service (even if it is just their website)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Is this because you think AEW "needs the ratings" or is it because you don't think they will have any sort of OnDemand service (even if it is just their website)?

I'm not sure if AEW will be up on B/R and I'm also just more intrigued by what AEW TV will look like. As for ratings,  I think NXT will have more of a built in-audience to start whereas AEW is going to have to work for theirs beyond the first show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm not sure if AEW will be up on B/R and I'm also just more intrigued by what AEW TV will look like. As for ratings,  I think NXT will have more of a built in-audience to start whereas AEW is going to have to work for theirs beyond the first show. 

I see your argument with the built-in audience, but I also think we've seen enough blown call-ups to WWE's main roster to know that NXT fans and the fans who watch WWE on cable are not the same audience. So I guess I sort of half agree: NXT may take a bite out of AEW's viewers, but I don't think it's going to automatically do Raw numbers. If anything, I wonder if WWE Network's numbers may suffer a bit. I don't necessarily see myself continuing to pay 10 bucks a month for 205 Live and shitty Vince-run Takeovers if that's the way she goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, and with all the stories going about Vince taking a more hands-on approach with NXT, I wonder how long until you see similarities between NXT and the main roster in terms of booking nonsense. I'll be very interested to see the ratings battle here, as I'm not so sure NXT will beat AEW out of the gates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, and with all the stories going about Vince taking a more hands-on approach with NXT, I wonder how long until you see similarities between NXT and the main roster in terms of booking nonsense. I'll be very interested to see the ratings battle here, as I'm not so sure NXT will beat AEW out of the gates.

I'd be shocked if they did. It won't take a whole lot of convincing from AEW that WWE is trying to put their foot down on the insurrection... that kind of "rally the troops" message is tailor-made for the AEW fan base.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say this as somebody who adores Omega and am fully on board with AEW, as well as not being able to stand anything WWE... I feel like if we're going off these shows since Double or Nothing, NXT will be the superior show out of the gates because of polish and being an established entity with tight understanding of what it is doing and how to achieve its goals. I deplore Gargano and think a lot of the Takeover matches don't live up to the hype, but I haven't been blown away with AEW's ability to pace a show yet and something feels off with it. I know they've been holding back their best matches but that Fight for the Fallen show hasn't aged well at all in my mind.

Edited by Oyaji

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

West Virgina? Maybe they'll get around to Tennessee sometime in the winter, hopefully. Realistically, if they're going to focus on college towns and stuff like that, if they don't do the obvious Bridgestone Arena/War Memorial in Nashville, maybe they can do the Murphy Center at MTSU in Murfreesboro.

I mean, the War Memorial has a lot of connections to WCW - WrestleWar, three Starrcade events, a Clash and the only PPV I've ever attended, SuperBrawl Revenge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm loyal to AEW first. If NXT doesn't end up resembling Raw and Smackdown, I'll catch up with it.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, WWE has burned me way too much in the past (and recent memory), and I've never been a huge NXT mark to begin with. An alternative emerging like this is a welcome change, and I'm going all in (pun intended) on this until I get fed up with it like I eventually did WWE. I can endure shit like Peter Avalon and Leva Bate's gimmicks, or Nakazawa, or whatever, because I've been watching WWE since I was a little kid and I've seen tons of bad comedy shit and that never stopped me from enjoying the product at that time. And it won't stop me from enjoying AEW, either.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...