DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

15 minutes ago, KidNatural said:

I'm sure Styles, Bryan, the Revival, Sasha Banks, Nak, Balor, Rusev and Harper all came up as well... Harper seems to be the only flight risk currently.

How much of a risk is a guy they're paying to sit at home? WWE dropped the ball with Harper. The angle with Harper and Rowan seeing through Bray's lies and breaking away from the family was always right there. It should have been so easy to book it, and it never happened. I think it's pretty much a lock we see Brodie Lee show up in AEW. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Regarding the 'anaemic' ticket sales, surely it's calculated and built into their business plan that the buzz and (hopefully) solid quality of the first couple of shows on TNT will draw in the remainder of the crowd. With the anticipated TV viewership, by definition there has to be some viewing for the first time, a portion of those will live locally and enjoy enough to fork out a modest sum.

Nobody could reasonably argue (yes, I know, internet) they should run 1500 seat venues in the first several weeks.

Please keep Johnny Whatsisname away from AEW, he is the opposite of 'fresh' and would take a sizable paycheck that could be given to a game-changing WWE or NJPW renegade.

Brandi's Road To promo was fantastic but also clashes with the persona she has presented so far. Like I said before with MJF, a heel character with certain absolute 'red lines' and fierce loyalty can bring three dimensions to the storytelling if done right, but the rest of Brandi as a character is quite flat and her wrestling is so uninspired I don't know if that's the place for her.    

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

Finally got a chance to watch the Kenny Omega promo. Whew! Hot dog! Good stuff! Editing was spot on with jump cuts to blend it all together.

Meant to say, between the 'I won and have the t-shirt' line in this promo and the 'damaged goods' line in the last one, Omega is so on his game with the promos leading up to All Out. They really are making the best of the situation as you can imagine Mox just wanting to eviscerate Kenny after that verbal beatdown.

Edited by Custos
  • Like 3

I watched the video but I didn't see the part that said Johnny Impact was coming to AEW. Where was that stated or implied? I am not opposed to anyone showing up on AEW tv. I am more concerned where they are positioned on the card. Johnny coming in and putting over fresh new faces or entrenched in a veteran/rookie tag team? Cool. Johnny coming in as a main eventer challenging for the AEW title? I'll pass. 

It was implied by the fact that he was in the video. When was the last time anyone was on BTE who wasn't signed to AEW? Joey Ryan doesn't count.

• Like 1

His wife, Taya Valkyrie. Current Impact Knockouts Champion.

Spoiled for size:

Spoiler
Spoiler

DwR3_aJUcAAzQBs.0.jpg

Which actually answers my question about non-AEW contracted Wrestlers on BTE.

Edited by AxB
Pressed Quote instead of Spoiler

That promo from omega was awesome. I’m more excited for that eventual match now than I was last week. 

They've advertised a promo by Moxley for the debut show. I think the intrigue before was “oooooo what’s he gonna say about wwe on live tv?” Now it’s gonna be all about omega and that will be so much better. 

Edited by matt925
  • Like 2

I like that they're touring the south. It's only a matter of time before they run a city in Tennessee.

EDIT:

11 hours ago, AxB said:

Moxley claims he'll be ready for Bloodsport in mid September.

Moxley was pulled from Bloodsport like three days ago.

Edited by Casey

8 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Weird that the designated hardcore match of the night gets the big sponsor but sure

They had a product placement in the Janela/Page match from All In last year.... that can only mean that Cracker Barrel is a mark for Joey Janela.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I hope it's a Cracker Barrel themed death match where your weapons selection is limited stuff from their store, like plates, rocking chairs, Christmas ornaments, etc.

They hit each other with those over sized checker board pieces that are in most buildings 

• Haha 1

Cracker Barrel sponsored the whole show at All In. But they actually used a barrel as a weapon a bit during Hangman vs Janela. I have a sneaky suspicion Darby Allin might have been watching Great Sasuke matches though.

In other news, apparently the press release that went out about Schiavone being on the announce team wasn't accurate.

• The current line up planned is Jim Ross, Excalibur, and Goldenboy moving forward.
  • Tony Schiavone will be helping with backstage segments and video packages. But is on a limited schedule as he can really only do Wednesday’s for now. (He works for MLW, University of Georgia’s college football announce team, etc.) But will most likely also do some announcing depending on the match. (Think how WWE would bring in JR for big match ups at Mania as an example.)
  • Alex Marvez is still with the company and will most likely help with backstage interviews & video packages. There is still thought that he will do some announcing in the future.