DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

WWE is really good at giving us one fucking awesome thing just often enough that I stay hooked.

While that's true, I just can't support WWE anymore. What they present on TV is bland as all hell, the format hasn't changed since I was a kid. While they have a crazy deep roster and do things I really love, like the Mae Young Classic, it's getting harder and harder for me to justify giving them $10 a month when they go do things like Saudi Arabia or (potentially) cover up the rape of Ashley Massaro by US soldiers. Add my disillusionment with the product and their ethical choices... it's a good thing AEW is coming at the time it is, because if it wasn't, I'd likely stick to streamable links on Reddit of what's happening on the weekly shows and PPVs, etc. I've already cancelled my Network subscription (moreso because I rarely use it, and I work weekends anyway so I miss all the PPVs now), and RAW/SD are so boring and a chore to get through that I turned the recording of the shows off on my DVR.

Going forward, I think I'm going to put that $10 a month that I've been wasting on WWE towards an indie wrestling service. Hopefully one with some good women's wrestling (or maybe one dedicated entirely to women's wrestling? does that exist? SHIMMER?).

If I'm being honest, my interest in WWE has been sliding slowly downhill ever since CM Punk left, and he's the main thing that got me back into WWE after the Benoit stuff happened. Daniel Bryan and Seth Rollins were nice placeholders, but it's just not the same as Punk. No character has done for me what that one did to a lapsed fan like myself all those years ago. I mean, I'll miss Liv Morgan being on my TV weekly, but from what I understand she hasn't been on TV since she was drafted to Smackdown anyway. Fuckers.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, just drew said:

Jericho’s podcast w Jon Moxley dropped this morning....that dude ain’t going back...

Never mind. Found a few things via google. None of it is really surprising. Its basically just further confirmation of Vince being the main issue in WWE at this point.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

What did he say?

I havent heard it but heres a rundown blatently stolen from Reddit

• He knew he wanted to leave the company in July 2018 when he was out with an injury
  • Refused to read a scripted promo because he believed it was idiotic/ridiculous whilst Vince believed it was great
  • Talks about the promos he read whilst feuding with Seth late last/early this year, and how they made no sense, tried to rewrite them and got frustrated when he couldn't
  • Says he thought him cutting the promo talking about Romans cancer was distasteful
  • Says he felt like walking out on the Raw where he got shots during a promo, and that was the day he 100% knew he was leaving and not coming back
  • Vince tried to talk him into saying another cancer remark about Roman, says it was so bad they could have lost sponsors, refused to say it (34 minutes into the podcast)
  • Says he was excited to return to wrestling when he was injured, but not excited to return to WWE
  • Says if there was no other promotion other than WWE, he still would have left
  • Vince "didn't know" he was unhappy, even with Jon/dean being open with his frustrations to Vince about scripts
  • Was happy to take bumps from Nia, but felt like it was them punishing him for leaving
  • They offered him a new contract, he didnt look at it
  • His goal in AEW is to be the best version of himself, looking forward to creative freedom
  • Says Tony Kahn is the exact opposite of Vince, likes him and the fact hes a huge wrestling fan
  • Talks about using social media now that hes out of WWE
  • He told Seth hes a wild animal thats been domesticated for too long when Seth was upset about him leaving
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

And apparently Nick Mondo filmed the video that Moxley released on his Twitter when his contract was officially done with WWE.

EDIT: Wow, he got a check for $500 for that final Shield show or whatever that was basically a house show.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, just drew said:

Jericho’s podcast w Jon Moxley dropped this morning....that dude ain’t going back...

I'm listening to it now and I thought, well, this isn't bad...

And then he starts making fun of Vince and confirming everything some of us have said about Vince.

Yes. He ain't going back. And I'm 20 minutes into it.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Casey said:

And apparently Nick Mondo filmed the video that Moxley released on his Twitter when his contract was officially done with WWE.

EDIT: Wow, he got a check for $500 for that final Shield show or whatever that was basically a house show.

Never knew Mondo was that good.  I’d seen some of his earlier stuff and wasn’t impressed.  I’m not sure if Mondo still lives in Japan and that’s where it was filmed, but he’s always seemed a creative guy.

Edited by Ultimo Necro

46 minutes ago, Casey said:

“Sick” Nick Mondo?!? Would he take an offer from Turner/AEW to come work for them?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Oooh he takes a shot at Austin too.

Yeah, I heard that too. Good. That was bullshit how Austin hung him out to dry on that podcast.

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm listening to it now and I thought, well, this isn't bad...

And then he starts making fun of Vince and confirming everything some of us have said about Vince.

Yes. He ain't going back. And I'm 20 minutes into it.

ThAt FiTs tHe NaRrAtIvE!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

34 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Never knew Mondo was that good.  I’d seen some of his earlier stuff and wasn’t impressed.  I’m not sure if Mondo still lives in Japan and that’s where it was filmed, but he’s always seemed a creative guy.

As someone who’s done a lot of video production, that Ambrose one was well crafted, but there weren’t any especially difficult cuts or after effects tasks in that clip that would’ve required a ton of special ability. I was honestly more impressed by the NJPW “times up” one, which I’m assuming he did too.

im not disparaging Mondo at all. It was well planned and executed. I just wasn’t particularly surprised when Jon said they got it done in two days. 

7 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

"Vince is out of touch in several different ways" =/= "Literally every bad thing and borderline insane conspiracy we've ever had about Vince is true"

Did you listen to the podcast yet?

• Like 2

I mean Nick Mondo did create a movie about himself that was released to a couple places.   he had a film degree before he was having people slice his stomach with a weedwacker and falling 25 feet onto a table.    So the idea that he couldn't have made that 4 minute video isn't that far-fetched.    

9 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I mean Nick Mondo did create a movie about himself that was released to a couple places.   he had a film degree before he was having people slice his stomach with a weedwacker and falling 25 feet onto a table.    So the idea that he couldn't have made that 4 minute video isn't that far-fetched.    

Honestly, I was never that into cZw. So it’s not like I knew too much about his background. I just remember seeing him in magazines, and having a very eye catching memorable look about him.

I did enjoy that Moxley basically started with "the last 8 years were great and I will be forever grateful and now I am going to shit on the company for the next two hours"

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

There is a shared mindset amongst the small group of people online, or maybe a larger group, that most of these guys and girls at WWE should just sit back and collect the fucking paycheck. I hope a lot of them hear this podcast and really listen to Moxley about the idea of being a creative type and being told to take on that kind of role where you just shut up and show up. Really listen, digest that, and maybe give a little more understanding to the people they constantly criticized for being openly unhappy with the job.

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5

11 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

There is a shared mindset amongst the small group of people online, or maybe a larger group, that most of these guys and girls at WWE should just sit back and collect the fucking paycheck. I hope a lot of them hear this podcast and really listen to Moxley about the idea of being a creative type and being told to take on that kind of role where you just shut up and show up. Really listen, digest that, and maybe give a little more understanding to the people they constantly criticized for being openly unhappy with the job.

Amen

• Like 3

Have no desire to listen to today’s pod, but the one Jericho did last week with Dave about Owen was pretty good. Weird that Jericho said he actually only Met Owen a handful of times ever.