DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

The only thing I'll add to the Invasion stuff: I'm pretty sure it was the highest non-WM PPV in history. My opinion is you bring in Goldberg, figure out the finances, put him against Austin and you have the largest buyrate ever that still would stand. IMO. 

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

The when of this would be tricky. Dusty came to WWF in 5/89. The Harts turned in 88. Dusty turned heel in 98 but Bret was more heel than not and Dusty was just managing. It'd have to be earlier and in most places, Bret would have been a face. Maybe in Japan? They were on NJPW tours in the early 80s, and on a couple together. But it looks like they just teamed.

You kinda missed the most important one:  Rhodes/Harts/Koko vs. DiBiase/Taker/Valentine/Honky at Survivor Series 90.  That to me was the match where Bret became BRET.  That final 4 minutes with Bret vs. DiBiase was when he absolutely became a singles star.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Well, I'll just take a few wild guesses and ask some people. @Greggulator, @Burgundy LaRue, @Eivion  what wrestling do you watch besides WWE?

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to take this. If you're actually curious I mainly just watch WWE and Stardom. I watch other stuff, but there is so much of the other two that I don't get to much else, even stuff I would probably love like BJW & AJPW. Occasionally I'll watch NJPW's AXS show, but fell quite a bit behind (I have quite a few episodes I'll need to catch up on soon). I watch current joshi matches others seem to rank high if I can find them on youtube. Occasionally  I'll catch a women's indy match, usually because the talent involved got my interest from working Stardom. With the summer coming up I'll probably make time to start watching older stuff again like I normally do around this time. That has leaned towards joshi the past couple of years (early 90s AJW mostly). May try to catch something else this time around. There is a ton of NA wrestling I have never caught. I really should take advantage of the WWE network subscription beyond current events  more and check out whats on there. There is also plenty of lucha libre I've never caught. Feel free to make some suggestions if you have any.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

You kinda missed the most important one:  Rhodes/Harts/Koko vs. DiBiase/Taker/Valentine/Honky at Survivor Series 90.  That to me was the match where Bret became BRET.  That final 4 minutes with Bret vs. DiBiase was when he absolutely became a singles star.

The question was times Bret faced Dusty, right? I added some bonus Japan stuff when I went looking for possible times that they had faced each other. To be fair, I never went looking for times that they faced each other in the WWF. You could potentially have some battle royals maybe?

Hey, here we go:

WWF @ Boston, MA - Boston Garden - November 11, 1990 (6,500; 5,000 paid)

Earthquake won a bunkhouse battle royal; other participants included: Roddy Piper, the Legion of Doom, Tugboat, Jim Duggan, Saba Simba, Dusty Rhodes, WWF Tag Team Champions Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart, the Black Demon, Dino Bravo, Demolition Ax & Crush, Tito Santana, the Warlord, Boris Zhukov, Ted Dibiase, Virgil, Greg Valentine, & the Honkytonk Man

There's your answer. It's possible?

I watched a Hashimoto vs The Barbarian match tonight? It was ok but just ok. Next up is Cam-Am Express vs the State Patrol. Since we're publicly shaming people or something. I've never seen Kenny Omega wrestle. I'm good.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Eivion said:

There is also plenty of lucha libre I've never caught. Feel free to make some suggestions if you have any.

I watch the AAA channel on Pluto sometimes, and generally I find their house style to be inscrutable, but sometimes, there's a bloody brawl that's cool or some rudo walks around booting dudes stiffly in the face, and it's entertaining enough. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Matt D said:

The question was times Bret faced Dusty, right? I added some bonus Japan stuff when I went looking for possible times that they had faced each other. To be fair, I never went looking for times that they faced each other in the WWF. You could potentially have some battle royals maybe?

Hey, here we go:

Earthquake won a bunkhouse battle royal; other participants included: Roddy Piper, the Legion of Doom, Tugboat, Jim Duggan, Saba Simba, Dusty Rhodes, WWF Tag Team Champions Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart, the Black Demon, Dino Bravo, Demolition Ax & Crush, Tito Santana, the Warlord, Boris Zhukov, Ted Dibiase, Virgil, Greg Valentine, & the Honkytonk Man

I watched a Hashimoto vs The Barbarian match tonight? It was ok but just ok. Next up is Cam-Am Express vs the State Patrol. Since we're publicly shaming people or something. I've never seen Kenny Omega wrestle. I'm good.

Me neither. Will try to tonight however.

There's a big difference between only watching WWE and being a "total disciple of McMahonism," whatever that even means. I'm halfway through Double or Nothing. I don't post in the AEW threads and probably won't until the weekly show, because all I ever saw in those threads when I checked them was fantasy booking and people arguing with Thibs. 

46 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

There's a big difference between only watching WWE and being a "total disciple of McMahonism," whatever that even means. I'm halfway through Double or Nothing. I don't post in the AEW threads and probably won't until the weekly show, because all I ever saw in those threads when I checked them was fantasy booking and people arguing with Thibs. 

Yeah. Even if you only find the time to watch WWE programming, I don't think it's possible to like pro wrestling enough that, you know, you post on a third-party message board dedicated to pro wrestling and not be a little aware of the major things what's going on in other promotions. Maybe you can't wax poetic about midcard or lower-storylines, but I'd assume everyone here can at least tell you who the World Champ is of the major other promotions.

• Like 2

With Moxley, Jericho, (and eventually Omega) doing NJPW, I'm wondering if AEW's weekly show will borrow a talent and book Pillman Jr. vs. Liger to open their TV show.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

AEW will put wording in their talent's contracts to work outside events like NJPW, but AEW is to be their priority. So expect Omega v Ibushi for the Dome.

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

Hey, here we go:

I want to believe in a timeline where Bret didn't get injured by Goldberg and never had the stroke, Bret still was wrestling in the mid 2000's and he and Dusty ended up having a match in some random indy in Kentucky.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I want to believe in a timeline where Bret didn't get injured by Goldberg and never had the stroke, Bret still was wrestling in the mid 2000's and he and Dusty ended up having a match in some random indy in Kentucky.

And it stole the fucking show.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, nofuture said:

Looks like AEW isn't the only place Ambrose is showing up:

gaXdK-1518819695-11430-list_items-3_spit

While it’s not a full-time partnership yet. These “Independent” bookings are a nice apology to New Japan for leaving them high, and dry before the MSG show.

@Ace is right, Omega Vs. Ibushi at the Dome has to happen now.

Poor ROH... The partnership with New Japan isn’t dead yet. But like a disinterested romantic partner, they too are showing signs of wanting out of this relationship. The only thing I can see saving ROH is if the Sinclair Network actually develops sympathy for ROH’s current plight, and opens up the money bags for them.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Rocco said:

So whats the deal with AEW and New Japan then?  

More interested in whether this is the beginning of the end for Ring of Honor and New Japan.  

Moxley working New Japan makes me think that maybe that hope he is working GCW shows is becoming slim to none.   Although he is working a NEW show against Pentagon so hopefully I am wrong

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

Posting this in two spots...because it's fucking awesome.

I can’t help but resurrect the old “why doesn’t WWE just let people cut promos” talking point. Moxley can do that, he could always do that, and WWE signed the dude largely because he COULD do that. So why didn’t they just tell the guy to cut a promo and get out of the way? 

Just crazy.  

• Like 2