DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

• RIPPA pinned and featured this topic
9 minutes ago, Victator said:

Blood Money is such a good name for a PPV, WWE should actually use it. Not like people could get madder about it. 

If the Saudi’s demand they get their own Money In The Bank, then Blood Money In The Bank is right fuckin’ there.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just to carry this over from April: the only thing that could’ve made that Jon Moxley video better is if it were set to “Welcome to the Jungle.” 

• Like 3

If that Moxley video was an AEW production, then color me impressed. 

But what’s with the Viper Room stuff. Are they going to ignore his WWE years, and pretend he served time in jail for spiking River Phoenix’s stash?

That would be impressive, considering Moxley was 7 years old when River Phoenix died.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

If the Saudi’s demand they get their own Money In The Bank, then Blood Money In The Bank is right fuckin’ there.

It'll take a dark turn when the winner opens the briefcase only to find Jamal Khashoggi's remains.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

Just now, Technico Support said:

It'll take a dark turn when the winner opens the briefcase only to find Jamal Khashoggi's remains.

I'm laughing, but I don't feel good about it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Meltzer thinks that WWE made an offer to Joey Ryan. I could actually envision someone showing Vince a video of the penis suplex and Vince thinking that it was the funniest thing ever while also being upset that he never came up with a grapefruits suplex.

• Haha 1

I know that everyone's excited about the Moxley vid, but wasn't the word when the "he's not resigning with WWE" news hit that he was just going to go out doing a couple death matches then hang it up for a bit? 

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

I know that everyone's excited about the Moxley vid, but wasn't the word when the "he's not resigning with WWE" news hit that he was just going to go out doing a couple death matches then hang it up for a bit? 

I thought the word was that he's done, period. But what you said seems to be more likely, especially since GCW is teasing people about the video as well.

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Meltzer thinks that WWE made an offer to Joey Ryan. I could actually envision someone showing Vince a video of the penis suplex and Vince thinking that it was the funniest thing ever while also being upset that he never came up with a grapefruits suplex.

dude bought a house last year, with indie wrestlig money, that was half a million dollars. I'll eat my words I guess, but I just can't see Joey Ryan giving up money like that to turn around and sell that house, move across the country to FLORIDA, and be a legacy act in NXT for a few years then transition into a training role.

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

No, that was everyone's assumption. 

1 minute ago, Casey said:

I thought the word was that he's done, period. But what you said seems to be more likely, especially since GCW is teasing people about the video as well.

dude bought a house last year, with indie wrestlig money, that was half a million dollars. I'll eat my words I guess, but I just can't see Joey Ryan giving up money like that to turn around and sell that house, move across the country to FLORIDA, and be a legacy act in NXT for a few years then transition into a training role.

Oh, I definitely don't think that at nearly 40 he's going to uproot himself and go work for WWE and deal with their bullshit. I'm guessing the obvious move is to be with his buddies in AEW.

I could see the Moxley vid being made by WWE. Who knows. Something doesn't add up about his exit from the company.

Regardless, a 2 minutes clip made Ambrose more interesting than he has been in several years. 

Bringing the discussion back to what troubles WWE, oversaturation is the real killer. Not only does it cause decreased interest, but it makes it that much harder to tell simple stories and WWE is not capable of pulling off anything complex. If there is a multi-faceted storyline (the rise of DBry) it is almost accidental. 

How simple is the Dustin v. Cody story? They literally sold the match in 5 minutes. No in-ring promo segments where they point to the titan-tron to catch everyone up. No multi-mans where the two wrestlers already face off before the actual match. 

Yet WWE could not figure out how to run Dustin v. Cody. If ever there was an indictment of how WWE does things, this would be it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AxB said:

That would be impressive, considering Moxley was 7 years old when River Phoenix died.

I can still see a 7 year Jon Moxley being traumatized at River Phoenix's death.  I just don't see him as a normal good kid who just got weird as a teen.  

I hate to agree with Jim Cornette on current wrestling but it does seem like bringing in Joey Ryan is done just to fuck with him and/or AEW and not because they actually think he has some use in the company

Edited by hammerva

The production values of the Ambrose video smell like Tony Khan money to me. If so, AEW need to piggy back off this momentum immediately. The tweet has 14k RT's as of now. When was the last time a WWE talent had that kind of engagement on social media? I know it's been a slow news week, but that's insane. I'm sure Niners can shed some light on this for us.

I know the promo game in the indies has improved massively over the years, GCW being evidence of this, and Ambrose being at Blood Sport during Mania week could fuel those GCW rumors even further. 

Cody has interacted with the tweet too.

Or it's a swerve. 

Exciting.

Edited by Rick

If that’s a WWE video, then that’ll be a dumbass swerve that makes no sense narratively, and creatively for Ambrose the person, and character. 

“He’s gone solo, AGAIN! But with a new name.”

Unless it’s a Bray Wyatt thing. So instead of Dean Ambrose, the lunatic fringe. It’s Jon Moxley, the obsessed escape room enthusiast.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

THE LUNATIC FRINGE IS BRINGING IT BACK OLD SCHOOL! THE MOXICITY IN THE AIR! CAN YOU FEEL IT, RENEE?! He then feuds with Lars Sullivan in shitty brawls. THE MANIACAL PERIPHERY, MOX!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The single greatest thing about the Moxley video is that he put it out at 12:05 AM May 1-- or, five minutes after the expiration of his WWE contract. Talk about momentum. It takes a lot for me to overcome my general cynicism lately, but I can say with confidence: this was really freakin cool.

• Like 4

A notable thing about that Jon Moxley video is that it's on the artist formerly known as Dean Ambrose's twitter as he doesn't do social media. I remember Ambrose first and only tweet saying he had to create an account.