DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

I mean Nick Mondo did create a movie about himself that was released to a couple places.  

It's been on YouTube for eight years, I watched it last month. It's letterboxed because he didn't shoot it in Widescreen, and he shot it on VHS so it looks terrible by current standards. There's a bit at the end where he talks about how he's leaving the biz, but he got put in a Videogame so he knows his legacy will live on.

The videogame in question is 'Backyward Wrestling - There goes the Neighborhood'.

No, me neither.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AxB said:

It's been on YouTube for eight years, I watched it last month. It's letterboxed because he didn't shoot it in Widescreen, and he shot it on VHS so it looks terrible by current standards. There's a bit at the end where he talks about how he's leaving the biz, but he got put in a Videogame so he knows his legacy will live on.

The videogame in question is 'Backyward Wrestling - There goes the Neighborhood'.

No, me neither.

No.

• Like 1

I've started to listen to the Jericho podcast with Moxley and it's the first time I've listened to Jericho's promo since near the start of it and holy shit is the theme "song" terrible, just awful. I nearly turned it off just cause of that, but so far the interview is pretty decent. I figured Mox was never coming back before this. Him talking before about how he said he thought none of his promos in WWE were great because there was always some scripted part that ruined it plus his video featuring him breaking out of prison told me that he never would go back because he felt too confined in WWE's environment. Plus he's probably made that fuck money so he can do what he wants now. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sublime said:

I've started to listen to the Jericho podcast with Moxley and it's the first time I've listened to Jericho's promo since near the start of it and holy shit is the theme "song" terrible, just awful. I nearly turned it off just cause of that, but so far the interview is pretty decent. I figured Mox was never coming back before this. Him talking before about how he said he thought none of his promos in WWE were great because there was always some scripted part that ruined it plus his video featuring him breaking out of prison told me that he never would go back because he felt too confined in WWE's environment. Plus he's probably made that fuck money so he can do what he wants now. 

I thought maybe at some point he’d come back for a “victory lap” with Roman and Seth, but barring a leadership change I think he’s done...

• Like 1

Just now, just drew said:

I thought maybe at some point he’d come back for a “victory lap” with Roman and Seth, but barring a leadership change I think he’s done...

At the very least, he's done until Vince is finally gone and the infrastructure of writers and micromanagement changes.

Nothing Moxley said on TIJ surprised me in the slightest. It pretty much confirmed (if we needed any confirmation) that WWE is being held back by Vince and his methods. Vince is sitting there laughing because he's rich, pal. But for every week those TV ratings drop, when negotiations come around, the likelihood of getting the same TV deal next time drastic go down. Then you throw AEW into the mix, and there's a potential competitor. Maybe AEW do good ratings on TNT. Maybe TV companies want their signature instead. Maybe Tony Khan walks out on Raw one day (i kid). 

But seriously, WWE need to buck their ideas up. Yeah they have sponsors, and merch, and all kinds of different ways of making money. While they had the monopoly, that's all fine, they can keep on chugging along, what else are wrestling fans gonna do? watch Impact? But now, there's a bit of competition. It's all very exciting. This could be the beginning of a new golden age. Or, AEW could absolutely bomb, the Khan family pull out, and the Young Bucks are doing jobs to the Ascension on Main Event LIVE on the WWE NETWORK!

• Like 4

Just to clarify on some of the points from that Reddit summary. I am using "Ambrose" instead of "Moxley" because that is what is coming naturally to type

Refused to read a scripted promo because he believed it was idiotic/ridiculous whilst Vince believed it was great

Basically - Vince kept saying (in regards to the scripted promos Dean was getting) that "this is who you are!" and Ambrose said "So I am an idiot" (because he thought scripted comments made him sound stupid)

Says he thought him cutting the promo talking about Romans cancer was distasteful

He went to Vince to say he wouldn't do it and Vince "Jedi mind tricked" him into thinking it made sense (Which Jericho noted has happened to him and several other wrestlers have said that Vince has this way of convincing you to do things you don't want to do). Ambrose 

Vince tried to talk him into saying another cancer remark about Roman, says it was so bad they could have lost sponsors, refused to say it

This one Vince was all "Oh! if it makes you uncomfortable you don't have to say it!"

Says he was excited to return to wrestling when he was injured, but not excited to return to WWE

Ambrose said he hadn't watched the "product" in months but it was during rehab that he watched everything (he noted he watched Impact, ROH, Japan). He also got excited for ideas he could do and then depressed because he knew the WWE won't let him do any of the ideas he was coming up with.

Vince "didn't know" he was unhappy, even with Jon/dean being open with his frustrations to Vince about scripts

This was one of those times where Ambrose was mad that Vince didn't know how he felt but admitted he hadn't directly told Vince he was unhappy. Basically Dean was like YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN WHY I WAS UNHAPPY!!! since he had been going to Vince so often to try and get things changed. So everything ended up getting said Rumble weekend when Ambrose had told them he wasn't going to resign. He also said that at the time only Vince, Triple H and one other person (who I can't remember) knew that he was leaving. Said he didn't tell Rollins because Seth was going over at Rumble and didn't want him thinking about other things.

Was happy to take bumps from Nia, but felt like it was them punishing him for leaving

He said he would have gladly worked a program with Nia (he made sure to note she had done great in the Rumble match) but he knew it was "punishment" because it was a last minute change and the way that TV works people started getting "thrown out of the room" as you get closer to TV and the writers are the first to go. It basically gets down to just Vince so he knew the change came from Vince. Vince insisted it wasn't punishment and they were going to do a "program". Ambrose said fine and just had fun with it (he said he and Nia had a great time in the ring - noting he kept telling jokes to crack her up). Said he never got an answer to why the proposed house show matches never happened.

There are other interesting points that haven't been mentioned yet that I might mention when I am finished listening

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

At the very least, he's done until Vince is finally gone and the infrastructure of writers and micromanagement changes.

I don’t think that will end when Vince is gone, but I can see the creative direction changing drastically to the point wrestlers will be happy that the storytelling is closer to what they want when Hunter is in charge. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

4 minutes ago, matt925 said:

I cringed towards the end when Jericho says “hey Renee” and she says “hi.” Wouldn’t be shocked if she gets some kind of juvenile punishment out of this. 

Hey, I’m sure the woman who has been coveted by ESPN in the past would love to take a job with Turner Sports, and AEW to work close with her husband. So let them try to fuck with her.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 6

What are WWE gonna do about it? I know they're petty as hell, and would love to do something, but realistically, what can they do? She's not a worker, so she's not doing jobs on her way out. They can say to her "ok, tonight you're taking a pie to the face" and she could say "... no i'm not". What are they gonna do?

People here have shared moving stories of loved ones with cancer and those who sadly passed away from it. I lost my best friend to the big c, only 26. I dread to think what the line was that was so offensive, Jon Moxley wouldn't say it and might have lost sponsors as a result. Awful exploitation of someone fighting for their life. As ever, fuck cancer.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 7

Yeah, what’re they gonna do to Renee? It’s pretty common knowledge she has a standing offer from ESPN, and whoever mentioned Turner sports is dead on. Maybe she could parlay an NBA on TNT gig w an AEW postgame show. She’s incredibly gifted at everything but what she’s doing right now, and she’s an employee, rather than a contractor, so I’m assuming any repercussions against her could be grounds for a workplace harassment suit...

• Like 1

Vince probably thinks people who get it are secretly pussies and that he's immune to all diseases or something bat shit insane.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Mr Harms said:

What are WWE gonna do about it? I know they're petty as hell, and would love to do something, but realistically, what can they do? She's not a worker, so she's not doing jobs on her way out. They can say to her "ok, tonight you're taking a pie to the face" and she could say "... no i'm not". What are they gonna do?

Exactly that. Tell her to take a pie to the face and when she says no they send her home for the rest of her contract. At least she can collect paycheck after paycheck with Peter Avalon, but I could see them trying something petty as hell. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The way Vince gets vindictive is he’ll have Corey say “Hey, Renee, is that a zit on your forehead?”, and then it’ll drag on for weeks into an onscreen joke about Renee’s zit. Then she’ll wear a prosthetic zit, and eventually it’ll get dropped after it pops into someone’s face on commentary. 

She can probably sue them and get out of it if they try something too far. She's rather bright and not likely to be badgered into anything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

The way Vince gets vindictive is he’ll have Corey say “Hey, Renee, is that a zit on your forehead?”, and then it’ll drag on for weeks into an onscreen joke about Renee’s zit. Then she’ll wear a prosthetic zit, and eventually it’ll get dropped after it pops into someone’s face on commentary. 

She'll just ignore him and refuse to wear it. They can't do anything about it.

• Like 1

It's a really interesting listen so far.  I like how he wanted to make sure to let the contract run out so they wouldn't mess with Renee.  But from what I heard so far they're going to find some way to retaliate and it'll be ugly.  I could definitely see Renee going to AEW or ESPN depending on her preference and good for her.

And it could be due my "Fuck VKM" mentality but I wonder would have happened if Dean did say the cancer remark that would get sponsors to pull out.  Part of me would kind of like to see how that played out and see if that knocked them down a few pegs.  I'm sure Jon would have found a way to let it be known that wasn't his doing.  It was best he didn't say it but was something I couldn't help but think about.

• Like 2