DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

As I said, I don't know which of his assistant ls were good or bad, since I don't watch football anymore. 

Should I have done Tom Landry coaching tree instead? Or Lombardi? No one knows who Jim Howell is, but he made Landry and Lombardi his coaches for the NY football Giants in the mid 1950s. 

You might have been right on the first go round 🤣.

However, I would say I haven't watched enough Florida when Eddie was alive to say whether or not Graham should be up there.

13 minutes in and the Borne episode is brought to you by Brian Blair implying that Matt Borne was on angeldust (or some other drug) trying to fight him

also, what is Jim Duggan's accent now? he's a native of Upstate NY but he's lived in the south for years, so..

edit: shocking 90s USWA cameo from a Matt Borne girlfriend

Spoiler

the police report makes it sound like the former USWA Nurse Krachet did a Death of Stalin (or Walt with Jane in Breaking Bad) to Matt Borne

Edited by Cobra Commander

Two episodes in a row where you're set up to feel really bad for one surviving family member for the whole episode and then they reveal in the last few frames that the person in question is doing great.  They're really exposing their formula here. 

Good episode, though.  Thanks to (the excellently-named) @Cobra Commander for the Walt/Jane explanation.  I was sleepy when watching this and couldn't put it together why Borne's ex and daughter kept saying the other girlfriend had "killed" him.

Also, LOL at the shot of the guy's eye popping out.  You can tell they spent money on that shot and wanted to get the most of it; they showed it like 8 times.

I love old time wrestling etiquette.  Did Ivan Koloff write a Miss Manners type column in PWI? 

"Dear Ivan: I want to get dusted and fight another worker in a bar.  Possibly three times.  There's a chance that, if I don't win, I might go for his eyes.  Is this proper?"  -Matt in Portland

"Dear Matt in Portland: Da, comrade, bar fighting with other workers is not exactly encouraged, but it's not necessarily frowned upon.  It's really taken on a case by case basis.  Did said worker fleece you out of training money, steal your rat, or pull a particularly ruthless rib?  Tread lightly but to your question of attacking his eyes, I say nyet."

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Forgot about the somewhat legendary Jim Duggan vs Matt Borne/Doink "shoot" match in PWS many years ago.  That was something that got way more hype then it really deserved.   It did bring up a great line on here where Mick Foley mentioned something like 'you really have to some issues if you don't like Hacksaw Jim Duggan'

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Had no idea Borne was so influential to Mick Foley

Cagematch says they only wrestled one-on-one once, and I'll have to try and track that down

2/19/1995

Cactus Jack vs. Doink The Clown - No Contest (18:46)
PCW - Event @ Packard Music Hall in Warren, Ohio, USA

My neck of the woods.

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

Forgot about the somewhat legendary Jim Duggan vs Matt Borne/Doink "shoot" match in PWS many years ago.  That was something that got way more hype then it really deserved.   It did bring up a great line on here where Mick Foley mentioned something like 'you really have to some issues if you don't like Hacksaw Jim Duggan'

Just watching his WCW run I would suppose that at least professionally there had to be a bunch of people who were not very happy about him. Often he gave his opponents very little in the ring, even in matches that were designed to be competitive. I don't think I have ever seen it, but there is the Berlyn debut match where Duggan apparently sold little - in a match where Duggan's only job was to get Berlyn over. I have seen a bunch of matches where you think that on paper "that might have been a fun match" but in the end Duggan took 90% of the match barely selling anything.

• Like 1

Steve Austin got injured wrestling Duggan in WCW, and then did a magazine interview where he said "I kind of slipped on Duggan in there".

It feels accurate to say that Duggan was pretty much cashing checks for most of his WWF/WCW tenure but that he's a nice enough guy in the realm of 80s wrestlers that he'll get a pass. Anyways Duggan spent a few years killing himself with Watts so he could get a less strenuous spot.

Anyways, Borne and Duggan were on whole other planets when it came to personal habits and likability. Duggan became a good ol boy over time and Borne is became a shithead thanks to drugs.

DSOTR might have soft-sold some of parts of the Borne story as a result of having family members on the show. Like not mentioning a certain thing Borne did that opened the door for the Road Warriors. That certain thing involving kidnapping.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hammerva said:

Here is the full match:

https://youtu.be/mSry3u57TRY

I think the most shocking thing was that Borne was still doing the Whoopie Cushion off the top rope right before he died

Kind of a shame more indies didn't use him - looks like he had a couple matches with Jimmy Jacobs including a Ladder Match (!)

If Mike Graham of all people is getting a career re-evaluation, I think Borne definitely deserves one

Even being a preteen at the time I thought Doink was corny as hell and didn't pay much attention to his matches on Challenge or whatever. Then he had two King of the Ring qualifying matches with Mr. Perfect that ended in time limit draws and a third that Hennig won but was a solid match, then all of a sudden I thought, holy shit this guy is actually decent. Looking back I've seen other clips of his jobber matches where he'd hit some nice looking stuff, and I think he was the first person I can remember using the Stump Puller submission.

8 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Even being a preteen at the time I thought Doink was corny as hell and didn't pay much attention to his matches on Challenge or whatever. Then he had two King of the Ring qualifying matches with Mr. Perfect that ended in time limit draws and a third that Hennig won but was a solid match, then all of a sudden I thought, holy shit this guy is actually decent. Looking back I've seen other clips of his jobber matches where he'd hit some nice looking stuff, and I think he was the first person I can remember using the Stump Puller submission.

Big Bully Busick also used the Stump Puller. 

16 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

DSOTR might have soft-sold some of parts of the Borne story as a result of having family members on the show. Like not mentioning a certain thing Borne did that opened the door for the Road Warriors. That certain thing involving kidnapping.

If you're talking about what happened while he was in Georgia that got him fired, I was going to mention that.

Matter of fact, I believe I brought it up earlier in this thread on whether or not they would bring it up. Turns out they didn't.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2023 at 2:28 AM, Dolphman 3000 said:

Had no idea Borne was so influential to Mick Foley

Cagematch says they only wrestled one-on-one once, and I'll have to try and track that down

2/19/1995

Cactus Jack vs. Doink The Clown - No Contest (18:46)
PCW - Event @ Packard Music Hall in Warren, Ohio, USA

Looks like they were on opposite sides of a bunch of tag team matches while both were in Dallas 1989 during the World Class to USWA transition. 

That just fuckin killed me, especially everything Tony had to say.

And I've been drinking and I'm watching the Grahams episode again. Wonderful day.

EDIT: I'm okay, don't worry about me. I don't want to alarm or trigger anyone, I'm just depressed. As always.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That just fuckin killed me, especially everything Tony had to say.

And I've been drinking and I'm watching the Grahams episode again. Wonderful day.

EDIT: I'm okay, don't worry about me. I don't want to alarm or trigger anyone, I'm just depressed. As always.

Some W.O.W. will be coming on shortly. No one can cheer you up better than David McLane.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2023 at 3:03 AM, hammerva said:

I can't stand real-life Brian Griffin Foley or Duggan. Lot to unpack apparently.

Duggan saying he didn't get addicted to the drugs he was using because of his personality is what it is... Jake Roberts was sorta in business for Jake Roberts on this episode

I guess you don't need Bill Watts on this episode as long as you have JR, and Bill would have taken up a lot of the oxygen in the room if he had appeared on this episode.

Assuming that the JYD story in New Orleans with the gun is true, that is a hell of what if from Bill Watts.   I mean Watts has fired people who broke kayfabe for a lot worse.  But even if you are trying to pretend to be blind, maybe letting people know about a gun pointed at the ring isn't the worse thing.   Luckily the cops were probably expecting that shit

By the way is there any footage of the JYD vs Michael Hayes feud that wasn't the actual blinding angle?  Probably some promos out there but as far as matches I can't think of any

Also like the narrative that JYD joined WCW while Bill Watts was running things.  I mean he was there for a good 2 years before Bill.   Although the point of him of being a complete mess then was true.  

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 2