DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

He’s possibly the GOAT oldschool mysterious/psycho/monster/freak/animal/whatever else you call it heel of alltime. And he’s that without appreciating his in ring ability really. I hate it but it’s true.

Who would the other contenders be? The Sheik? Firpo? Wild Bull Curry? The Stomper? 

Abby was a genius. Look at how he protected himself: In that Baba match, he was up against the second biggest wrestler in the country at that time, and managed to lose because he slipped on a banana peel instead of really losing losing. I mean I'm sure that goes to Baba booking it like that but he probably would have balked at anything else. 

there's literally 4 Adonis results on TheHistoryOfWWE post-WM3

1. April 23rd: a squash win (his only televised match in the WWF after WM3)
  2. April 25th: beating Brutus Beefcake in Adonis' home town (Buffalo)
  3. April 26th: a draw with Brutus in Indianpolis
  4. April 27th: the match in London, Ontario that got Adonis fired

One can only imagine how much of a pain in the ass Adonis had to be to somebody in that period to get fired so quickly. Like did he negotiate his way into not jobbing in his hometown shortly before they fired him?

• Like 1

Glad we finally got an Adrian Adonis episode. This was definitely a no-brainer topic for Dark Side, and a little surprised it took until S4, but glad we finally got it. Also nice to see some Bret Hart interviews this week. I recall him not being very high on the Montreal Screwjob episode.

Adrian Adonis in the WWF post-WM3 has the look of a deranged Curly Howard

Gomer Pyle from Full Metal Jacket also comes to mind as a comp for bald WWF Adrian Adonis, and that movie was released a few months after this interview

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

Has Bret Hart ever admitted that he did coke in the WWF before?  I know he admitted to roids and I think pills but never that

There was a part in the Bret book where he said he kicked it in a room with a bunch of guys doing coke I think, where I recall Iron Sheik was doing a bunch of squats or something, but people handing him 8-balls? Not at all. That shocked me. 

• Like 1

I wondered if Bret and Adrian ever wrestled in the WWF but cagematch says no aside from some battle royals. Adrian's last six matches were an NJPW run featuring him, Dick Murdoch, and Owen Hart as a trio which is one hell of a random pairing.

Nope not a single reference to that.  While it would have been a nice touch to show he actually was a heavyweight champion,  I don't know if that would fit their narrative.   It really was built on how tough and when coked up how crazy he was.  I mean in the grand scheme of his career, winning the Southwest title was probably more important then him getting beat up by Dan Spivey.  But doesn't fit the narrative. 

I just watched it on YouTube, and I don’t usually watch wrestling on YouTube but I couldn’t look away. Such a good episode. I buy his flawless reputation as a family man back home 100% because of at least 1 thing in that video for sure. When his wife was talking about being in shock, the barely remembering the funeral, then her moment in his closet after everybody had went home, and it was over, etc...that’s how it goes. Believe me I know. 

Also since the Dan Spivey story is true by all accounts, does that mean him and the Road Warriors story is true?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boydy said:

I assume Rocky Johnson talking was recorded a few years a go as he died in 2020.

Ricky Johnson was recorded for this episode. He is still alive.

His brother Rocky Johnson died in 2020. 

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

There was a part in the Bret book where he said he kicked it in a room with a bunch of guys doing coke I think, where I recall Iron Sheik was doing a bunch of squats or something, but people handing him 8-balls? Not at all. That shocked me. 

From all indications of how his career started and stopped and the reason behind it, Neidhart basically did a fakeout.

"Yeah Bret, man, I'm quitting too.." **covertly slides a small baggie into his back pocket**

11 hours ago, Peck said:

Ricky Johnson was recorded for this episode. He is still alive.

His brother Rocky Johnson died in 2020. 

Hold on was that not Rocky Johnson then?

It looked exactly like him.