Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Elsalvajeloco

[MOVIES] DECEMBER 2018 DISCUSSION

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

John-Cena-Hailee-Steinfeld-Bumblee-Londo

 

"Tragedy at Madame Tussaud's as Roger Moore 007 wax figure abandons long time Jane Seymour wax figure bride to run off with half melted gummi figure Halle Berry from Die Another Day. Pierce Brosnan figure still unaccounted for and unmissed."

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched Event Horizon again for the first time in decades. Probably Paul WS Anderson's best work, but you'd be hard pressed to make a bad one with Laurence Fishburne and Sam Neill as your headliners. Wasn't as scary as I remembered, although that's probably more about who I am now and was when I first saw it. Great set design. And with all the Alien rip-offs that have come out since, it seems like a lot less of an Alien ripoff than it used to. It's the lack of monster. Life had a monster.

What I loved at the time, and still liked, was the way how it resisted the morality play aspect of the Horror genre* and killed indiscriminately. There are characters who in a traditional horror set-up would obviously live, because they are virtuous, but they die. There are characters who would die in a horror movie because they are lascivious and boastful who survive. It always seems a lot nastier when that happens.

* It's Sci-Fi movie with horror elements, not a Horror movie. So it's in this thread 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cena and Hailee Steinfeld were guests on The Graham Norton Show over in this neck of the woods and, man, I know it's been joked about before but dude is basically a robotic simulation of what a human being should be. My damn teeth were itching over how cheesy and cringeworthy he is. He can't even sit on a fucking seat like a normal human being without looking awkward as fuck.

Anyway, the only thing we learned was that fellow guest, Matthew McConaughey was once thrown out of a building for throwing rotten tomatoes at Skandor Akbar.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In that case, book McConaughey on Austin's pod to tell Sportatorium stories.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, AxB said:

Watched Event Horizon again for the first time in decades. Probably Paul WS Anderson's best work, but you'd be hard pressed to make a bad one with Laurence Fishburne and Sam Neill as your headliners. Wasn't as scary as I remembered, although that's probably more about who I am now and was when I first saw it. Great set design. And with all the Alien rip-offs that have come out since, it seems like a lot less of an Alien ripoff than it used to. It's the lack of monster. Life had a monster.

What I loved at the time, and still liked, was the way how it resisted the morality play aspect of the Horror genre* and killed indiscriminately. There are characters who in a traditional horror set-up would obviously live, because they are virtuous, but they die. There are characters who would die in a horror movie because they are lascivious and boastful who survive. It always seems a lot nastier when that happens.

* It's Sci-Fi movie with horror elements, not a Horror movie. So it's in this thread 😛

Event Horizon is pretty much about a haunted house in outer space. 

It's a horror movie at its core that just happens to take place in a sci-fi setting just like Alien. 

The deleted footage would've made Event Horizon feel even more like a horror film than it did during it's release as there was a lot more gore including an infamous "bloody orgy" scene which was condensed into a recording of the original crew.... well... we'll keep that hush for people that haven't watched this movie yet..

I didn't really see Event Horizon so much as shedding horror tropes in it's selection of victims as it was jockeying for a sequel with its ending.  If it had been better received critically, there would've been an Event Horizon II.

You could've discussed this in the Horror Movie thread.

Too bad that there will never be a director's cut as Anderson has stated in the past that the majority the deleted footage was destroyed during final editing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you guys are looking for more haunted house movies like Event Horizon that are set in space, then let me recommend the superior anime short story Magnetic Rose from the anime anthology film Memories. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The missing footage from Event Horizon being found in a Transylvanian salt mine is somehow incredibly fitting.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoyed Can You Ever Forgive Me? Not sure it's the "oh wow Melissa McCarthy in a serious role" hype that it gets. It's a classic soundtrack away from being every other Chris Farley script she takes. Great supporting cast though. 7/10

Left an hour into Fantastic Beasts 2. Johnny Depp pretending to be David Bowie in Labryinth did nothing for me at all. Overcomplicated script and one-dimensional characters. Nay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you're saying JK Rowling learned nothing from her books being hugely successful?  I'm shocked.  SHOCKED!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

 

Left an hour into Fantastic Beasts 2. Johnny Depp pretending to be David Bowie in Labryinth did nothing for me at all. Nay.

I swear he was channeling Lost Boys Kiefer Sutherland in his look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2018 at 3:11 PM, HumanChessgame said:

The missing footage from Event Horizon being found in a Transylvanian salt mine is somehow incredibly fitting.

Wait, what? Does that mean they're gonna put it back together again sometime? 

Personally I always thought of it as Hellraiser in space, from the turn it takes at the end. And what's funnier is they actually made a Hellraiser in space around that same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Curt McGirt said:

Wait, what? Does that mean they're gonna put it back together again sometime? 

Personally I always thought of it as Hellraiser in space, from the turn it takes at the end. And what's funnier is they actually made a Hellraiser in space around that same time.

Nah, this happened several years back and apparently the footage was too degraded to be usable.  Supposedly there was an uncut version on a tape the producer had but it also ended up being unfinished. This is one of those movies with all sorts of urban legends and holy grail type stories about the supposed full version that will never see the light of day. 

Spoiler

Known deleted scenes include a meeting scene between Weir and people in charge of the mission in which they discuss Event Horizon, some dialogue of which remained present in the theatrical trailer;[11][12] more backstory for Cooper and Justin, including a stronger explanation for Justin entering the black hole; a deleted backstory of the relationship between Starck and Miller; additional scenes explaining what the gateway to hell/black hole is;[13] Miller finding a tooth floating in Event Horizon,[7] a longer version of the scene in which Peters hallucinates that her son's mangled legs are covered in maggots;[6] a scene in which Weir hallucinates that Justin turns into his wife Claire;[14][15] a bloodier version of Weir's wife Claire's suicide; a longer version of the scene where Miller finds D.J.'s dead body with his guts on the table; and a longer version of the "Visions From Hell" scene during Miller's final fight with Weir with more shots of Event Horizon crew being tortured.[better source needed]

The "bloody orgy" video was also longer. As Anderson was sometimes too busy filming other scenes, second-unit director Vadim Jean filmed some parts of this scene.[7] Real-life amputees were used for special effects scenes in which Event Horizon crew members were mutilated, and pornographic film actors were hired to make the sex and rape scenes more realistic and graphic.[6]

The film's final ending was a combination of two unused alternate endings that were filmed. One did not have a jump scare at the end when the last two survivors are found by another rescue crew and Starck hallucinates that she sees Weir, although there was a similar version of the scene included in this ending where she hears screams of Event Horizon crew and screams in fear before Cooper wakes her up. This was the original ending of the film included in the shooting script.[16] The second ending had Miller fighting with the burned man from his visions at the core instead of with Weir, but this was changed due to the negative test screening.[15]

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking of Sci-fi with horror elements, what did everyone think of Pandorum when it came out? I remember loving it (apart from that mega out of place probably-contractually-obliged Cung Lee fight) and thought it was really smartly told but it never seemed to find an audience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched Rampage last weekend since it's on the movie channels - it's not that bad of a movie. I mean, it's not going to win an Oscar or get a Criterion blu-ray, but it's basically a Godzilla movie, with Godzilla replaced by an ape, an alligator and a wolf.  Probably doesn't help that I loved the shit out of the video game when I was a kid, so...

My "recently watched" says I've seen the new Tomb Raider, but I don't remember anything about it, so I'll have to watch it again I guess.

Oh, and A Bad Moms Christmas is as funny as the first one.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:44 AM, CreativeControl said:

Talking of Sci-fi with horror elements, what did everyone think of Pandorum when it came out? I remember loving it (apart from that mega out of place probably-contractually-obliged Cung Lee fight) and thought it was really smartly told but it never seemed to find an audience. 

It was a story that tried a bit too hard to be clever, but at least it was original.  It also helped that Antje Traue was pretty awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2018 at 5:44 AM, CreativeControl said:

Talking of Sci-fi with horror elements, what did everyone think of Pandorum when it came out? I remember loving it (apart from that mega out of place probably-contractually-obliged Cung Lee fight) and thought it was really smartly told but it never seemed to find an audience. 

I really enjoyed it and it's a shame it was released with next to no promotion (was this even in theaters?). A few elements of the story got a bit convoluted or overly ambitious but was original and came together in the end. Apparently it was supposed to be the first of a trilogy which I really would like to have seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw The Mule this morning. I liked it except that

 

Spoiler

the family stuff seemed unnecessarily forced.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roma was as good as advertised. Cuarón's camerawork isn't as showy as in Children of Men, but it's equally impressive. The camera just lingers in a way. He uses light in such a unique way. Definitely recommend it.

Also, I went down a Wikipedia rabbit hole to learn more about that Mexico City riot in '71. Wild. CIA involvement, trained killers, officials resigning etc, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched Downsizing for the first time a few nights ago. I was really interested in the world they set up, and thought they did a good job creating talking points that people would really be arguing about a concept like that. I was looking forward to watching a movie about that world. Then they went on and told a story about Matt Damon's character that really had nothing to do with them being small and that could've been told in any other movie. It was like at the half way point, it became a completely different movie and they all forgot they were "downsized" at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I caught The Favourite yesterday. I enjoyed it a lot. Olivia Colman is amazing and Nicholas Hoult was hilarious.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

Watched Downsizing for the first time a few nights ago. I was really interested in the world they set up, and thought they did a good job creating talking points that people would really be arguing about a concept like that. I was looking forward to watching a movie about that world. Then they went on and told a story about Matt Damon's character that really had nothing to do with them being small and that could've been told in any other movie. It was like at the half way point, it became a completely different movie and they all forgot they were "downsized" at all. 

Yes! I had the same gripe. Great story idea thrown away on nonsense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mortal Engines had a reported budget of somewhere between $100-$150 million (which is probably much higher than that).  

It made $7.5M in this, it's opening weekend. Now, I'm no accountant, but that does not seem like a good ROI. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Mortal Engines had a reported budget of somewhere between $100-$150 million (which is probably much higher than that).  

It made $7.5M in this, it's opening weekend. Now, I'm no accountant, but that does not seem like a good ROI. 

It is a great ROI for what most accounts say is a pretty bad movie.

Sad, because I like steampunk and was hoping that Mortal Engines would work out as a franchise.

That way, I MIGHT get my film adaptation of the Dishonored games before I died.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...