DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

It sounds like Punk wants to be done with wrestling and if he has any connection to wrestlers (especially anyone connected to WWE), the "when is Punk coming back" rumors start up. Look how fast people were talking about Punk being at All In once it was announced that it was near Chicago. The easiest way for him to do that is to completely cut them out.

It is pretty jerkish to cut off people that ostensibly or genuinely care about you just because of their professional associations, but I understand why he would want that amount of separation if he truly wants to be done with wrestling.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Here we go

I have been around Punk and Graves (SJK)  and they were extremely close.  Punk was also extremely close with Hero and remember when Punk stood up for Hero after what happened in CZW and Ian Rotten and IWA-MS  didn't   it pissed Punk off and he left IWA-MS for awhile over it.   Any one who has met Punk will tell you he is his character. He is extremely hot headed and you never know what mood he will be in.   Matt Pollinsky on the other hand has a huge heart.  He once cancelled a booking to do a piercing for a friend of mine.  He will do anything for his friends and his family and knowing how close he and Punk were it had to crush him when Punk said he no longer wants to associate with him.   I wonder if Punk told Joe and AJ the same things?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I really wish the whole "Punk and Colt aren't friends anymore" thing would die. It was bullshit to begin with and Colt pretty quickly shot it down saying he wasn't even where that WWE show was at.

If they stopped publically hanging out then it's because they had to lie low for the lawsuit. Even when they did the podcast it was their first time hanging out in a little bit. Punk has moved, started training in Milwaukee nearly full time, and had time to hang out with the one person not implicated in anything, his wife. I don't think it's fair to say it's symptoms of CTE that's driving this.

Sometimes you have an extraordinarily awful experience with where you work and want to detach yourself from everything and everyone about that place. Combine that with not knowing if Punk stayed friendly with anyone there that whispers wouldn't make it back to Vince and that hurting his friends or himself then I totally understand cutting that part of your life out. Punk is a protective guy. Sometimes you have to do things you don't like to protect yourself and anyone you like even if it makes you look like an asshole.

• Like 2

Corey Graves is lame for airing this shit out on Twitter, Punk is lame because, I mean, look at that dude, but ultimately, I don't think attributing Punk's loss to "Punk didn't return my phone calls" is either accurate or warranted. 

A dude doesn't want to be friends with you anymore. Get over it instead of getting in your feelings and going on Twitter like a jilted boyfriend. 

• Like 1

My impression is Punk was a mentor and an inspiration to many in the industry which led to a lot of hurt feelings when he closed the door.

He's also the guy who never made it a secret he was a temperamental miserable dick who played around with the idea of getting up and leaving.

It's complicated.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

A dude doesn't want to be friends with you anymore. Get over it instead of getting in your feelings and going on Twitter like a jilted boyfriend. 

Why? Why can't he work thru this the way that is best to him. "Get Over It" is the worst fucking phrase. As if people don't try to recover after bad things; It comes from people who prefer others suffer in silence. 

That is not even related to Graves or Punk, its just normal stupid shit people say. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

My impression is Punk was a mentor and an inspiration to many in the industry which led to a lot of hurt feeling when he closed the door.

He's also the guy who never made it a secret he was a temperamental miserable dick who played around with the idea of getting up and leaving.

It's complicated.

You summed it up way better than I could and in far less words.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Punk hasn't talked to me since I banned him from the board

You magnificent bastard. I legitimately laughed out loud at work reading that. 

• Like 2

There are guys I worked with at my last job that were in my wedding that I see a couple of times a year now. Some of it's just hectic schedules, but there's something to be said for work-related friendships, even good ones, dissolving after the biggest thing that the parties had in common is no longer there. 

Anyway, I don't like 30+ year-old dudes on twitter proclaiming what is or isn't Punk Rock behavior and I kind of feel bad for Punk because his punches looked like those ones you have in nightmares when you have to defend yourself and you can't hurt your attacker at all. 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Victator said:

Why? Why can't he work thru this the way that is best to him. "Get Over It" is the worst fucking phrase. As if people don't try to recover after bad things; It comes from people who prefer others suffer in silence. 

That is not even related to Graves or Punk, its just normal stupid shit people say. 

Because doing this online is fucking tacky? Your personal pain is not something to be worked out in "the way best to you" because sometimes, those ways are destructive or immature. 

Going online and shitting on a former friend because he doesn't call you anymore after he loses a fight is pathetic. I expect better from an adult. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I kind of feel bad for Punk because his punches looked like those ones you have in nightmares when you have to defend yourself and you can't hurt your attacker at all. 

Most of my nightmare deaths involve drowning. Maybe I'll have more to say if Punk tries out for the Olympic swim team next. 

• Like 2

A few years ago, one of the more infamous bands out of this area - composed of many good friends of mine and others in the scene - had this great lineup with this BOSS drummer dude. Good times, good shows, but a shit ton of alcohol was involved, and drummer dude eventually quit the band and got sober. Dude needed it, he was a wreck, and shit, he THRIVED in sobriety. Everyone around thought it was great that he got his act together... but then dude started talking soooooo much shit about everybody he used to claim as a friend, and in as public of forums as possible. He got on this high horse and shat all over every relationship he had. It was truly a douchey, obnoxious thing to do, and completely unnecessary. Lots of people were hurt, he fucked up a friend's wedding, and really, nobody had a kind word for him anymore, and deservedly so.

Have any of us put him on blast publicly? Nah, but even if somebody did, even in a kind of immature way, you can bet a whole lot of us would still be nodding our heads in agreement. 

Graves picked a lame way to air his grievance but I bet soooooo many of his peers are happy SOMEBODY said something. 

• Like 1

Super didactic, but CM Punk's reign wasn't a record in any way and Brock has a different belt anyway.

Punk being the "longest champion of the 'modern era'" or the "longest reigning champion since Randy Savage" is just made up corporate-babble. 

It was like when Floyd fought Conor and people were talking about him "beating the record Rocky Marciano set" as if no other fighter had ever gone 50-0 or if Rocky had any record. 

I always hated those "sandbags for arms while throwing punches" nightmares. This reminds me that a few weeks ago I had some goofy dream where Roman Reigns was on the Dan LeBatard Show, Stugotz had apparently come into possession of a Money In The Bank briefcase, hit Reigns with the title belt, DDT'ed the motherfucker on a chair, and pinned him to win the Intercontinental Title. Or maybe the Intercontinental Title was under some super secret clause where select media members could challenge for it under the old Hardcore Title rules. I attribute it to my hatred of both as well as some leftover mental residue from the utter shittyness of John Stewart's Summerslam cameo and pathetic excuse for a chairshot.

It was contrived dogshit because if they were doing things organically, Ryback should've won the belt in that cage match whether he only kept the title for a day or until the next pay-per-view. Then you can still run the same ladder match Ryback and Punk had the next night on Raw or even a Last Man Standing match where the Shield incapacitate Ryback to help Punk get the belt back, and then run Punk/Rock at the Royal Rumble. The only good thing to come out of that whole lame mess was getting the Shield over as royal shit disturbers. At some point, Punk became every other generic chickenshit heel champion and worst of all it was known well beforehand that Rock was going to take the belt off him at the Royal Rumble. Now most of that was due to the WWE's inflexibility about their plans to have Cena/Rock II be for a World Title at WrestleMania, but Ryback got screwed far worse in the whole deal by being skipped over than Punk and his phony baloney longest modern title reign where he had to keep the belt warm for the Rock.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Because doing this online is fucking tacky? Your personal pain is not something to be worked out in "the way best to you" because sometimes, those ways are destructive or immature. 

Going online and shitting on a former friend because he doesn't call you anymore after he loses a fight is pathetic. I expect better from an adult. 

There was nothing really destructive or immature about it though. Well actually it might be destructive if he gets blow back at work. 

14 minutes ago, Victator said:

There was nothing really destructive or immature about it though. Well actually it might be destructive if he gets blow back at work. 

Yeah, if Vince knew about it then, he’s already forgotten about it now. He’s preoccupied on making Reigns/Jinder tonight, better than Omega/Okada from Saturday. 

(I haven’t seen it. I’m just being snarky.)

• Like 1

I was just thinking to myself, "Wait, was Money in the Bank tonight?!" but then I remembered Raw and Smackdown didn't have people randomly climbing ladders to deliver promos in the most inorganic way possible and neither episode ended with someone who has no prayer of winning sitting on top of a ladder holding a briefcase.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2