DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

5 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Now hold on just a minute, pal. We want to be treated as though we're legit. But we certainly don't want to conduct ourselves as though we're legit! 

Exactly.  I really hope they can pull off this "let's become mainstream" thing just so they'll face the same scrutiny as other entertainment and sports platforms.   Like if they get an Emmy and that brings their independent contractor practices to light in some real way, that would be incredible.  I don't think my body would be equipped to process the shit-ton of schadenfreude I'll be experiencing.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Victator said:

Did you ask him about Sullivan having an alibi of being in a separate state? I'm always amazed they never have an answer for that. 

Obviously, he had the Yeh-Tay or maybe Mark Lewin do it for him.  Did anyone check their alibis?

I assume Lewin was chilling on the ocean floor, but I dunno if the cops would be able to verify that.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Who would stretch his missing “i“ out of you.

I see no missing I/i. :unsure:
This of course means Suzuki will add an eye patch and pirate hat to his entrance for the match. Luffy would approve.

Basically you have to get signed on as an actor in a SAG signatory film (which WWE films might not be), pay 3 grand, and agree to pay the yearly fees which is a percentage of your earnings or a couple hundred bucks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

Cue match at WK vs I dunno...someone who will punish him. Minoru Suzuki will do.

If he couldn't hack Ryback working a little tight...

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:06 PM, nofuture said:

This feels more like a Steph and HHH move.  Steph is in charge of WWE's branding and they want mainstream acceptance just as much if not more than Vince does.

It feels like 90% Steph, which makes sense with the push to look inclusive toward women, however one wants to take that.

Judging from his podcast and the fact he seems to be turning into Billy Jack Haynes 2K18, I'm guessing Ryback behind the scenes was a liability hence them cooling him off. But I agree with you, they were on the verge of having something special with him but rather than let him be his own thing they tried to shape him and ruined anything unique

• Like 1

6 hours ago, L_W_P said:

I miss Ryback.

Of all the missed opportunities to make a star in recent years his handling stuns me the most. On his way to being a legit main eventer, he had a great look, solid power moveset and more than enough charisma to get his gimmick over. Then all of a sudden he is in a jobber tag team with Axel and working the pre show, before that was a decently hyped segment on the network, and then released.

As someone slowly working their way through 2014 episodes of Main Event, Rybaxel were a really great team to watch, lots of fun as two dumb meatheads. Should have been given a tag title run.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

FWIW, I still think Bad News Barratt is the biggest missed opportunity of the past decade. I'd really like to know who and why they cut the legs out from under him

Before the Bad News Barrett gimmick but the Nexus led by Wade Barrett losing quickly after forming in 2010 didn't help matters. WWE vs. Nexus at SummerSlam 2010.

Also getting over by yourself is a no no. See: Zack Ryder and Rusev.

37 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

FWIW, I still think Bad News Barratt is the biggest missed opportunity of the past decade. I'd really like to know who and why they cut the legs out from under him

He was on Jerichos pod this week.  

Yeah, I just got listening to it after I made my comment on Ryback. The gimmick was so over Vince, Steph and Triple H used to say the catchphrase all the time, then all of a sudden he wasn't allowed to say it!