DVDVR Message Board

Another Attempt at a MARCH Wrestling Thread

RIPPA

15 minutes ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

Wow.  That might....just.....work!!!  They can at least try it.  What if the hat talks and manages Roman?  Mania 34 main event...Brock versus Roman w/Hat.

I like the cut of your jib, you're gonna go places in this business. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

i don't know about that. this time they're going to really try to "make" him and give him a "wrestlemania moment.

the heart of the reactions to reigns is the inevitability of it all. nobody wants to be reminded that wrestling is a work. 

That's the biggest problem. The past few years, as soon as the Road the Wrestlemania line gets trotted out it starts the countdown to a Reigns push nobody wants but happens anyway. The rest of the year he's still kept strong (tm) but it's not nearly as forced or obvious. Hearing the Lesnar/Reigns plan a full year in advance just means I'll spend the next 12 months hoping they change their minds. And that's no way to be a fan.

After watching the last couple weeks and seeing him live last Friday, Caprice Coleman is amazing and oozes charisma, the guys turning 40 in a handful of days and I think has a second career as a manager in his future. I think Roman Reigns with his prewritten buzz word catch pharse promos are awful and he sounds like a pussy. Roman should have someone speak for him. i also liked the concept of his "THE Guy" gimmick but it wasnt really fleshed out. I think if they brought in Caprice Coleman as, lets say a sports agent who represents Roman and speaks for THE Guy maybe it will help Roman slowly turn face or turn into a cool heel. Caprice dressed as the LA agent with the dress shoes, dress pants, colorful dress shirt with the first couple buttons open and the sunglasses resting in that opening Standing in the ring with Roman standing there with his arms folded looking smug as Caprice lists his accomplishments and tells us why we should be rooting for THE Guy could be alot of fun and get over. Also from whati saw at the ROH 15th Anniversary Show, Caprice isnt afraid to take a crazy bump. He'd take an F-5 from Brock for sure. 

3 hours ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

Wow.  That might....just.....work!!!  They can at least try it.  What if the hat talks and manages Roman?  Mania 34 main event...Brock versus Roman w/Hat.

The hat's going to need a catchphrase. Also, it can't just be any hat. How about Bray gives up his because he doesn't want to hide his ash covered hair and face? One champion respecting another, or some such. Then we can have Cole and/or Mauro repeatedly say, "Hat's off to Roman."

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, zev said:

The hat's going to need a catchphrase. Also, it can't just be any hat. How about Bray gives up his because he doesn't want to hide his ash covered hair and face? One champion respecting another, or some such. Then we can have Cole and/or Mauro repeatedly say, "Hat's off to Roman."

After a Spear, he can yell, 'Hat's all, folks!'

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Roman said:

After a Spear, he can yell, 'Hat's all, folks!'

Well, he has previously shown no difficulty with Looney Toons catchphrases, "sufferin succotash, son" *wink* ...

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

Someone on Reddit made an interesting point about Roman's push. People obviously mentioned and we said the same things that they've coronated the guy multiple times now, including last year at WM and his face reactions are only going to get worse. So the response to that was if the goal is to make him "the next Cena" then that is going to include multiple coronations in consecutive or nearly consecutive years. Cena's coronation wasn't just defeating JBL at WM 21, it was that, defeating HHH at WM 22, and defeating HBK at WM 23. By the time Cena went into the program with HBK at WM 23, he was getting pretty negative reactions from the crowd and "LET'S GO CENA" "CENA SUCKS" had more meaning to it, as opposed to now, where it's kinda the way Cena gets cheered.

The difference is Cena was organically the most over face in the company for about 2 years before crowds started to tire of him. Roman hasn't gotten good face reactions since the Shield broke up.

Roman Reigns will never be as good as John Cena, and trying to force that is going to set the company back years.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

I was just watching a Goldberg match on YouTube and I hope he pulls off a military press into powerslam at WM. I'd forgotten how impactful that move looks 

I wish guys still did Press slams period.

Always impressive and guaranteed a pop. 

If Roman really is the next Diesel then would his match with Braun be this generations equivalent to the Wrath/Nash match from WCW? 

• Like 1

I wouldn't look too far into parallels between Cena and Roman. Yes, the they were both slotted as the top guy and the crowds turned on them but that's where the similarities end. Even when Cena was at his absolute worst, he still was a major all around draw (attendance, ppv, and ratings) and all-time merchandise mover. Roman is none of those things. 

What Vince isn't getting with Roman is that Austin was heel before becoming a mega face, Rock was heel before becoming a mega face, Cena was heel before becoming a mega face. Reigns hasn't had his heel run yet. give him Caprice Coleman as a mouth piece make him a cocky heel and they crowd will turn him face.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

The sooner WWE realizes Roman Reigns isn't the next John Cena, but the next Randy Orton - the better off they'll be.

I don't know if they ever will, though.  Vince seems to have gotten even more tone deaf and stubborn in his old age, not less.  Vince is a guy who thinks without a doubt that the fans will like what he tells them to like.  In his mind, he alone created the 80s and 90s booms, not a combination of his own talent plus timing, luck, and having the right wrestlers.  He seems to really believe he can create a star whenever he wants.  If they didn't realize Roman wasn't the guy their first six coronation attempts, I don't think they ever will.

They already have a John Cena on their roster.  His name is AJ Styles. He sells tons of merchandise despite receiving a quarter of the push Roman Reigns gets. the house shows and television that AJ headlines routinely outnumber RAW in attendance.  Plus, everyone loves him. Yes, he's almost 40.  But so what? Does he looks like he's about to slow down?

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They already have a John Cena on their roster.  His name is AJ Styles. He sells tons of merchandise despite receiving a quarter of the push Roman Reigns gets. the house shows and television that AJ headlines routinely outnumber RAW in attendance.  Plus, everyone loves him. Yes, he's almost 40.  But so what? Does he looks like he's about to slow down?

But at almost 40 it's more likely he's going to fill up his bump card sooner rather than later.

19 minutes ago, Casey said:

The sooner WWE realizes Roman Reigns isn't the next John Cena, but the next Randy Orton - the better off they'll be.

Being the next Randy Orton isn't a bad thing either. If Roman Reigns floor is being the next Randy Orton he's still a Hall of Famer and a top talent.

I never said it was a bad thing, but Orton hasn't been positioned as the "face of the company", or attempted to be pushed that way, in quite a while. They could benefit from applying some of the things they've learned over the course of Orton's career to Roman's character and whatnot. There are a lot of interesting parallels to draw between Orton and Reigns, and very few between Reigns and Cena.

Oddly enough, the only people out of those three that I've ever actively enjoyed is Randy Orton. In particular, 2009 Orton

There are times where I would say Randy Orton is a HoF level talent. And then other times I dislike him nearly as much as Ziggler. I will say this, never has one man gotten more out of chinlocks and restholds as Randy Orton.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

But at almost 40 it's more likely he's going to fill up his bump card sooner rather than later.

Then get that money now. 

Reigns is not the guy and never will be. 

Has anyone ever ordered from Pro Wrestling Tees before? How good are the shirts, will the pictures ever fade after washing?

I've ordered quite a few and generally go for the higher quality shirt option, they're the American Eagle soft, stretchy material that feels fantastic. The standard is very similar to a standard Gildan shirt in terms of quality, so thicker and firmer. Either way, the printing has never been an issue for me. High quality and durable.

• Like 1