DVDVR Message Board

[NOV 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

It's like when I hear stories of people messing with guys like Haku, Barbarian, Finley, etc. What's the thought process there? "Yeah, there's a giant Samoan guy here at the bar. I'm gonna pick a fight with that guy!" "Look at that big, craggy looking Irish guy. He looks like a soft touch."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

It's like when I hear stories of people messing with guys like Haku, Barbarian, Finley, etc. What's the thought process there? "Yeah, there's a giant Samoan guy here at the bar. I'm gonna pick a fight with that guy!" "Look at that big, craggy looking Irish guy. He looks like a soft touch."

It's part of the idea that they look tough but they do the fake pro rasslin stuff so they can't really fight.

8 hours ago, Brysynner said:

It's part of the idea that they look tough but they do the fake pro rasslin stuff so they can't really fight.

Was flipping through Bret Hart's biography recently and he talked about one of the things about being the top champ was knowing people were going to challenge you and being able to either beat them up, or intimidate them enough to make them back down.  He talks about Jake Roberts being their top champ and some guy challenging him, so Jake takes the guy outside and Bret and Terry Sawyer follow.  When they get to the alley they find Jake begging off from the guy, so Sawyer walked up, headbutted the guy in the face knocking him out cold, then turning to Roberts and saying "It's called protecting the business, Jake!"

• Like 4

On 11/2/2016 at 4:52 PM, JRGoldman said:

Does anyone else remember the contest that WCW had where you could write a rap for PN News and he would rap it at a PPV? The winner was hilariously bad, and it's been a point of fascination for me to see what the other entries were like, or if WCW just picked one essentially at random.

I have no clue how they picked a winner, but my friend Josh totally sent in a rap. He would have been 9? And he was VERY confident that he would win. He kept coming up with more and more unlikely scenarios where WCW would contact him in time to fly out to Havoc. Even up to the day of show. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, caley said:

Was flipping through Bret Hart's biography recently and he talked about one of the things about being the top champ was knowing people were going to challenge you and being able to either beat them up, or intimidate them enough to make them back down.  He talks about Jake Roberts being their top champ and some guy challenging him, so Jake takes the guy outside and Bret and Terry Sawyer follow.  When they get to the alley they find Jake begging off from the guy, so Sawyer walked up, headbutted the guy in the face knocking him out cold, then turning to Roberts and saying "It's called protecting the business, Jake!"

I can just see Jake being all "Oh come on, I was just having some fun. I was gonna sucker him in and do a DDT out here...Jesus man".

Bret also told the great Jake story about Roberts hurting his knee while he was champ.  And how he really seemed to be struggling to come back from it.  Bret and Jake were living together at the time and the Stampede guys were about to go on tour and left Jake hobbling around at home.  Bret forgot something, went back to get it, and found Jake happily moving about the kitchen, no limp, no crutches.  Bret says he never knew if Jake heard him come home that day, but Roberts very quickly was back wrestling after that.

• Like 1

Just now, mattdangerously said:

Yeah, I don't think what he said is worth getting fired over... but he was told specifically by his employer that politics was off-limits, so he kind of had it coming.

I get the feeling this may be like the Daniel Bryan/necktie deal. Give it some time to smooth over and he'll be back to work eventually.