DVDVR Message Board

[NOV 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

What's "amusing" to me about the CZW doc is that the fans really seem to genuinely hate DJ Hyde. He goes out there and just busts his ass, bleeds all over the place, and there seems to be no respect, no "wink wink, we know you're the bad guy so we'll boo you, but we like you and respect you anyway." He keeps the show going and keeps the blood flowing for all those freaks, and they seem to have no appreciation for it whatsoever.

That and I'm totally smitten with Mrs. Hyde. I'm rooting for the guy as an "independent businessman," but Jeezis, that vampire deathmatch bullshit has got to go. Different strokes, I guess.

• Like 4

"independent businessman,"

Read: Felon who can't get a job anywhere else even though he was a banker and to-be pro baller. Telling you, guy is smart... resourceful more than anything but still. He's made the most lemon juice with the lemons given possible (yes, lemon juice, not lemonade). 

What's kind of touching is that the Zandig marks are like real old-school marks that seem to almost believe in kayfabe, and of all indie promotions where that's pretty much only found in the smallest, it's showing up in CZW. Dunno what that says about the fanbase but if the promotion can get away with it it's admirable. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DTTW said:

Last time I checked, doing a parody/mockery of someone, was still a joke. Jokes can be clean, dirty, racist, whatever. If this gets you upset...you wouldn't last an hour in my world. I also don't recommend you watch comedies from the 80's and 90's.

Edited.  if you don't understand, you never will

Despite much of the focus being on this Sunday's Survivor Series pay-per-view, WWE is already making plans for next year's event.

The Houston Chronicle reported on Wednesday night that Survivor Series 2017 is set to take place at the Toyota Center in Houston, TX. Like this year's show, WWE is planning a marathon weekend around the "big four" PPV but will instead run four straight nights in the building in 2017.

The Toyota Center also confirmed the news on Twitter.

Kicking off the weekend will be an NXT TakeOver special, which is set for Saturday, November 18th. Survivor Series, Raw, and SmackDown will then take place on successive nights. Tickets for Survivor Series go on sale at 11 a.m. ET on December 9th, and WWE will also have travel packages for the event going on sale at 12 p.m. ET on December 6th.

With next year's Royal Rumble already announced for San Antonio, this news means that WWE will be bringing two of their biggest weekends of the year to Texas in 2017.

Following this year's event headlined by Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar, the Chronicle notes that next year will be the 30th anniversary of Survivor Series after the show originally debuted in 1987.

22 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It seems that Mick Foley is the one who poured the kerosene on that fire as he was all "I TALKED TO LEON!!! HE HAD TOLD ME ABOUT HIS HEALTH!!! HE NEEDS TO BE IN THE WWE HOF NOW!!!!"

And of course - since I am cynical as shit (especially around Vader) my first thought was "That is exactly why this motherfucker said it..."

I am not proud of myself

I am also not proud either because I thought the exact same same thing.

This really does feel like the wrestling equivalent of the Oral Roberts debacle (If I Am Not Inducted Into The HOF This Year, God Will Call Me Home!), but if this is legit and White actually dies, I will feel absolutely horrible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

I dunno about that, I always heard things got heated and Vader squared up to Orndorff and he knocked Vader out with one punch (while wearing flipflops, the most impressive/important part of the story)

As a guy who sucks in his mma efforts....what's so Impressive about kicking ass in flipflops when I see dudes doing it barefoot constantly.

17 hours ago, Thunderlips said:

I wouldn't believe Manny if he told me that snow was white.

:lol: OK, fair point. I just mentioned Manny's shoot since Orndorff has a pretty well-established rep, and Barbarian is pretty much at the pinnacle of legit badasses in wrestling. 

Still, I think you no-sold the main point: Paul Orndorff beat Nick Saban! 

21 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

the difference was that the common fan did not like HBK. The fans from that era (and we are tbose same fans), could never fully embrace the same coward that threw his tag team partner through the barbershop window. 

That had nothing to do with it.  Hell, Shawn was getting cheered in early '95 when he basically blew all over Diesel at WrestleMania; it's part of the reason they turned him face to begin with.  

The common fan just didn't want to cheer a guy coming out doing a striptease in chaps.  He wasn't "cool" anymore to the men in the crowd.

Quickly skimmed the last page and thought I read that Paul Orndorff had once thrown a man out of a 3rd story window during a fight and that Tim Donst was in a Deathmatch tournament.

Re-read it turns out I got one correct, but surprisingly not the more realistic one.

I know Tim Donst has had his fair share of personal problems over the last few years but the guy is a talented wrestler. 

5 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I thought the whole thing with the Vader/Orndorff incident was that Vader didn't fight back out of fear of being fired/respect for a veteran?

There is a detailed first-hand account in Kanyon's book. (Recommended read, btw) I don't remember all of the details, but Orndorff actually whooped Vader twice on the same day. Vader actually came back for seconds after getting pounded the first time. 

15 hours ago, jstout said:

What's "amusing" to me about the CZW doc is that the fans really seem to genuinely hate DJ Hyde. He goes out there and just busts his ass, bleeds all over the place, and there seems to be no respect, no "wink wink, we know you're the bad guy so we'll boo you, but we like you and respect you anyway." He keeps the show going and keeps the blood flowing for all those freaks, and they seem to have no appreciation for it whatsoever.

That and I'm totally smitten with Mrs. Hyde. I'm rooting for the guy as an "independent businessman," but Jeezis, that vampire deathmatch bullshit has got to go. Different strokes, I guess.

100% agree, I thought Mrs. Hyde was freaking cute. I wanted to see more of her, and the wrestling too I guess, butr there needs to be a doc on her day-to-day life:)

• Like 2