DVDVR Message Board

[NOV 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

7 hours ago, turk128 said:

Watching this at work with no sound, it allowed me to see just how much Jericho can convey in his facial expressions.  The guy's really underrated when it comes to nonverbal communication both in the ring and outside it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Watching this at work with no sound, it allowed me to see just how much Jericho can convey in his facial expressions.  The guy's really underrated when it comes to nonverbal communication both in the ring and outside it.

I agree with this and think it is a mark of someone who has been around quite a bit. Here is one of my favorites, start at 4:10 of this clip. 

Short and simple but awesome. 

In his book he talked about doing acting classes and has done improv before.  I'd like to think that helped him a ton with stuff like this and his comedic timing.  The guy really is a treasure and I'm going to miss him when he stops this wrestling thing.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DTTW said:

Why is Jericho being great such a surprise to people? 

Definitely not a surprise to me, always been a fan.  He's had some kinda eh times, but for the most part he keeps reinventing himself in ways that make me go "Damn, didn't expect that."  He's a surefire Hall of Famer once his career is over.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Matt D said:

We lived through 2011-2015?

Yeeeeeeep. 

WCW heel Jericho is one of my favorite characters of all-time. His Nick Bockwinkle-esque heel run in 2009 and 2010 was outstanding as well. But man, I just was NOT into the Punk feud. He seemed like he was just collecting a paycheck in 2013 (Fandango; understandable) and 2014 (Bray Wyatt; less understandable). 

17 minutes ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

Yeeeeeeep. 

WCW heel Jericho is one of my favorite characters of all-time. His Nick Bockwinkle-esque heel run in 2009 and 2010 was outstanding as well. But man, I just was NOT into the Punk feud. He seemed like he was just collecting a paycheck in 2013 (Fandango; understandable) and 2014 (Bray Wyatt; less understandable). 

That was some of the eh moments I was referring to.  The only good thing about his Punk feud is he brought out Natty Boh to pour on him.  Shitty beer, yes.  Owned by another country, yes.  But at one time it was OUR shitty beer that we still take pride in.  And yes, I cheered when somebody tweeted "This beatdown was brought to you from the land of pleasant living."  And I think he brought that out in another state which kind of perplexed me.

Great, now I want to get a 6-pack of Boh, and I can barely stomach the stuff anymore.

• Like 1

The Briscoes probably work singles too much to get my vote, but they've been a favorite of mine since they were teenagers.  I like the Young Bucks when they actually wrestle, but their schtick just gets soooo tiresome it's distracting.  Their recent PWG outings were especially so, but when they're not doing incessant crotch chops and backrake spots they're a very entertaining duo.  I'd probably say The Revival, though if American Alpha get a decent push and time to really show their skills they'll be in my top sop easily.

The Revival are a great throwback team, classic old-school tag wrestling. If you don't appreciate that for whatever reason, then they're not for you.

I like the Revival and the Bucks. Two different styles, both fun. It's a big ol' world.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jstout said:

I like the Revival and the Bucks. Two different styles, both fun. It's a big ol' world.

The Bucks are fine for what they are, but I find that their shtick is generally tiresome and pandering, and they abandon ring psychology far too often in favor of crowd-pleasing highspots.

• Like 1

I kinda have divided wrestling into "regular" wrestling and "flippy" wrestling. The Bucks can get away with abandoning ring psychology because their opponents are doing the same thing. It's kinda like a car crash. It's "flippy" wrestling, my standards are lower, I'm watching guys fly around the ring defying gravity.

Did you see the Bucks in the Ladder War match or the PWG BOLA second-night match? Neither could be defined as "classic" wrestling matches, but they were both quite the entertaining spectacles. I guess I regard "flippy" wrestling the way some people regard "popcorn movies" - they're not classics, but who cares, let's watch the show.

And the Bucks have this great "meta" thing going on where they know they're polarizing, know there's a large chunk of wrestling fans who don't care for them, and know how to push those people's buttons. Don't like all the superkicks? Here's more! I think they're gonna be stars in the WWE sooner rather than later, and they're going to be hilariously polarizing as the ultimate "cool heels." I just hope they bring Omega with them.