DVDVR Message Board

[NOV 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

13 hours ago, Matt D said:

We lived through 2011-2015?

Hey, Jericho was rock and rolling and being great long before then. So he had a few less than stellar years, how does that take away from the new list and the old list. That stuff was brilliant.

• Like 1

Obviously everybody doesn't praise what they do - hard to find praise here for what they do, for example. Any internet wrestling fan who keeps up with more than just WWE probably has an opinion on them one way or the other, which isn't indifference.

Talking of selling, I was watching an early Undertaker match against Tugboat on the Network last night and I've never appreciated how hard it must've been for Taker to bump without showing any kind of pain in his early years. Granted, he barely left his feet on TV and PPV in the early years but he's bumping LOADS for Tugboat and just kinda grimacing and that's it. And he used the rope-walk elbow as his finish on him which was great as I'd forgotten how spritely he used to be as Mean Mark in WCW

6 hours ago, jstout said:

I kinda have divided wrestling into "regular" wrestling and "flippy" wrestling. The Bucks can get away with abandoning ring psychology because their opponents are doing the same thing. It's kinda like a car crash. It's "flippy" wrestling, my standards are lower, I'm watching guys fly around the ring defying gravity.

Did you see the Bucks in the Ladder War match or the PWG BOLA second-night match? Neither could be defined as "classic" wrestling matches, but they were both quite the entertaining spectacles. I guess I regard "flippy" wrestling the way some people regard "popcorn movies" - they're not classics, but who cares, let's watch the show.

And the Bucks have this great "meta" thing going on where they know they're polarizing, know there's a large chunk of wrestling fans who don't care for them, and know how to push those people's buttons. Don't like all the superkicks? Here's more! I think they're gonna be stars in the WWE sooner rather than later, and they're going to be hilariously polarizing as the ultimate "cool heels." I just hope they bring Omega with them.

I've seen the BOLA match, but not the Ladder War.  It was fun, but not my favorite style of match.  I like the Bucks just fine in small doses, and there are elements of their gimmick that I enjoy.  I do tend to think they aren't as good as a lot of fans make them out to be, though.

I can't believe how large this crowd is.

I expect this Ellsworth thing to get old very fast and I expect Vince not being able to control himself and deciding to piss off everyone under the sun by putting the cruiserweight title on Ellsworth.

• Like 1

The guy has been wrestling for years, right? Is he actually good in the ring? He's obviously playing the part of a loser jobber now, but what if he gets in there with, say, Gran Metalik or Rich Swan and tears the place down. Would it be horrible if he were to win the Cruiserweight Title if that were the case?

6 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Talking of selling, I was watching an early Undertaker match against Tugboat on the Network last night and I've never appreciated how hard it must've been for Taker to bump without showing any kind of pain in his early years. Granted, he barely left his feet on TV and PPV in the early years but he's bumping LOADS for Tugboat and just kinda grimacing and that's it. And he used the rope-walk elbow as his finish on him which was great as I'd forgotten how spritely he used to be as Mean Mark in WCW

Was this before WM 7? If so, he might've done all that work since that was going to be his first Mania match, instead he fought Snuka. 

33 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

The guy has been wrestling for years, right? Is he actually good in the ring? He's obviously playing the part of a loser jobber now, but what if he gets in there with, say, Gran Metalik or Rich Swan and tears the place down. Would it be horrible if he were to win the Cruiserweight Title if that were the case?

Well, if that were the case it would be fine, but I would be surprised.

There are some matches of him out there on Youtube, though, whoever wants to do the research.

58 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

He almost killed himself on a Styles Clash so I don't know if you wanna throw him in with the cruisers. 

Something more akin to Santino is probably more of what to expect. Then when it gets tired and old and they've milked it for all its worth and then some he can go back to his fed or go be TNA champ. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Z said:

I expect this Ellsworth thing to get old very fast and I expect Vince not being able to control himself and deciding to piss off everyone under the sun by putting the cruiserweight title on Ellsworth.

He draws more than TNA does.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Z said:

The event was held in Altoona PA at the Joppa.  The show had the Hardy's, Sandow, Brooklyn Brawler, and Ellsworth  among others.   Ellsworth has been doing indy's around PA. WV under the name "Jimmy the Dream" For years.  He even runs a promotion. 

1 hour ago, Charlie M. said:

Chris Jericho did a 2 minute intro for Hockey Night in Canada tonight. That has to be a career highlight for him.

I had a quick wtf and then i realized Rogers is a WWE content partner. 

I know Eric Young was at Sportsnet yesterday too.