DVDVR Message Board

[NOV 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Yeah, I know when I have a brain fart, I just default to the most disgusting, sexist shit possible.  Just yesterday, in a meeting, instead of asking a coworker a question, I blurted out something about her "sweet sweet snatch."

Seemed perfectly in line with the character I saw on tv numerous times mocking the times and saying something outrageous and crazy to get the crowd hot.

8 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Yes, I read his response.  Regardless of why he said it, he and everyone else was told specifically do not talk about politics.  Gabe had every right to fire him for not doing what he was told.  

Oh I agree he had every right to fire him, but it seems a little lame given he's talented, it's not out of range for his character, his presence adds a value you that's exceedingly hard to find now a days, and he's not a known trouble maker that I'm aware of - is this a pattern for him bucking rules from management?  Fine the guy or some other amends making deal and move on. This isn't a guy zonked out on pills putting people's lives at risk, it's a bad attempt at humor. People make mistakes.

Also, why did he get fired from the other two gigs? Are they all connected companies?

8 minutes ago, DTTW said:

Seemed perfectly in line with the character I saw on tv numerous times mocking the times and saying something outrageous and crazy to get the crowd hot.

Oh I agree he had every right to fire him, but it seems a little lame given he's talented, it's not out of range for his character, his presence adds a value you that's exceedingly hard to find now a days, and he's not a known trouble maker that I'm aware of - is this a pattern for him bucking rules from management?  Fine the guy or some other amends making deal and move on. This isn't a guy zonked out on pills putting people's lives at risk, it's a bad attempt at humor. People make mistakes.

Also, why did he get fired from the other two gigs? Are they all connected companies?

Chikara has always presented a kid friendly/family friendly atmosphere, so it's pretty easy to see why Joey's comment wouldn't fly with Quack. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Phil Schneider said:

That is total bullshit, watch the clip. He gives this big set up about how he was told not to talk about politics, but nobody tells Joey what to do, and then he makes the joke. No chance he was caught off guard.

Hey that's the story he gave. Do you have the clip?

You are switching up your argument, before you were saying he was just a poor guy who made a mistake, now you downplaying the comment. The point is, his boss asked him not make any political jokes, not only did he make his gross joke, he basically told the guy who hired him to fuck off before he did it. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

He's a guy who got a job for ten years because he was so outspokenly conservative and Vince got a kick out of. There's bias when it comes to Styles but it's an image he created. It doesn't help here.

I wonder how he got along with Paul E. for so many years. Paul is as outspokenly liberal as Joey is conservative apparently; the unauthorized ECW book has a former writer saying he was the first guy he knew to pimp Cornel West and he would crush openly conservative board members (I'm thinking probably Dusty) in arguments around the meeting table. 

EDIT: Listened to the audio. Yeah, that motherfucker was asking to get fired. Literally.

This doesn't have much to do with Styles but I was in the camp who felt maybe people in general were overreacting a lot to language but then I watched a year and a half of this election cycle and it put things in perspective. Freedom of speech yeah okay whatever, but common decency has been lost which angers me and when your boss tells you don't do something and you do it anyway you deserve what's coming.  

12 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Yeah, I know when I have a brain fart, I just default to the most disgusting, sexist shit possible. 

See, that's the kind of over the top hyberbole bullshit that annoys me.  Joey Styles fucked up, but you LITERALLY think THAT was the most DISGUSTING, SEXIST SHIT he could POSSIBLY say?  Give me a fucking break.  He would have said that shit to ANYBODY if he thought the crowd was going to erupt.  And that was clearly what he was going for.  

He tried to make a Trump joke and he thought it was 1999 ECW hoping to get the crowd to lose their shit.  And it wasn't.  And they kinda didn't.  It was a dumb move and he deserves what he got.  But listening to the audio, some of you are making Mt Everest out of a molehill.  

The more you complain on either side, the more Joey Styles ends up a martyr.  Do you really want that?  Because that's where this ends up.  

8 hours ago, DTTW said:

The announcer for a company that died a decade and a half ago adds value?  Holy shit, somebody find Matty in the House and pair him with Joey for Mania.  Buys!

• Like 1

I'm not trying to change my argument, just pointing out that in the big picture, I've experienced worse things at a wrestling show. Truly scary and offensive things. Jack was trying to incite violence in the crowd between people of different races - joey told a sexist joke. Jack didn't get fired for what he did. That seems a little off when I compare them. 

Joey has been involved in multiple aspects of the business from on screen to behind the curtain. I'd like to think that experience is still worth something in this time of moral decay where people say dirty jokes at wrestling shows. Maybe the times have just passed me by.

Joey Styles: A guy who assumed Donald Trump winning the election gave him a reason to be as rude and vulgar to women ON LIVE TV as he could be. Consequences-free. 

Turns out it didn’t, Joey.

I don't want to get too into the politics here. But Trump's victory certainly did embolden a lot of awful, dumb people and let them vent out their awful, dumb thoughts. 

Because if a President can say these things, why can't you?

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, DTTW said:

I'm not trying to change my argument, just pointing out that in the big picture, I've experienced worse things at a wrestling show. Truly scary and offensive things. Jack was trying to incite violence in the crowd between people of different races - joey told a sexist joke. Jack didn't get fired for what he did. That seems a little off when I compare them. 

Joey has been involved in multiple aspects of the business from on screen to behind the curtain. I'd like to think that experience is still worth something in this time of moral decay where people say dirty jokes at wrestling shows. Maybe the times have just passed me by.

"Told a sexist joke."  You're seriously downplaying it.  If you don't get the difference between telling a joke and saying something gross and misogynist directly to a woman who has to sit there embarrassed and take it, then I don't know what to tell you and I wish you luck in your real world interactions with people.

• Like 5

No woman in this world wants to be casually referred to as a "p****" by a smug guy in front of a room full of people.

Then everyone cheers it on. 

Does no one understand that?

Joey Styles is simply a terrible, pathetic person. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

"Told a sexist joke."  You're seriously downplaying it.  If you don't get the difference between telling a joke and saying something gross and misogynist directly to a woman who has to sit there embarrassed and take it, then I don't know what to tell you and I wish you luck in your real world interactions with people.

The key here:

Styles knew the power he had. He humiliated her. She couldn't say or do a damn thing to him in response.

This was a long way off from Jerry Lawler making jokes about "puppies" on WWE TV.

It's nauseating.

Christ, she looked horrified. 

• Like 2

It's unfortunate how you respect and like a lot of what somebody does back in the day, only to see them now and look at what they've become.  I'm sure that there's people Joey worked with recently that thought he was a great guy to work with.  But then he does shit like this and all that goes out the window.  I talked to Joanna Sunday and said sorry for what happened.  She said she wasn't offended so much as baffled to why he'd do that.  But no woman should be in that situation and it's sad that she had to stand there and hear that.

Oh, and fuck Joey Styles.  If he feels the only way he can leave a company is to get fired for being "edgy" then he really needs to re-think his life choices.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

It's unfortunate how you respect and like a lot of what somebody does back in the day, only to see them now and look at what they've become.  I'm sure that there's people Joey worked with recently that thought he was a great guy to work with.  But then he does shit like this and all that goes out the window.  I talked to Joanna Sunday and said sorry for what happened.  She said she wasn't offended so much as baffled to why he'd do that.  But no woman should be in that situation and it's sad that she had to stand there and hear that.

Oh, and fuck Joey Styles.  If he feels the only way he can leave a company is to get fired for being "edgy" then he really needs to re-think his life choices.

"I just say what I want" almost always means "I am a rude sociopathic asshole." 

Because if you truly care about your fellow human beings, you think before you speak. 

• Like 3

Did anyone grab pre-sale WrestleMania tickets?? I just grabbed mine, sooooo...

I AM GOING TO WRESTLEMANIA!!!!!

I'm freaking stoked no matter how much the card can possibly suck.

On 11/15/2016 at 6:55 AM, RIPPA said:

That is the legit Vader account

But it is also Vader who desperately craves attention and worked his way into a big UK pay day this year (while - shocker - dicking over the promotion)

So while I totally believe his health is shitty - I also take everything he says with about 2 tons of salt

What Rippa said.  Given Leon's past carny shenanigans, part of me is like yeah whatever, man while the other half is PLEASE DON'T FUCKING DIE~!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

Did anyone grab pre-sale WrestleMania tickets?? I just grabbed mine, sooooo...

I AM GOING TO WRESTLEMANIA!!!!!

I'm freaking stoked no matter how much the card can possibly suck.

Congratulations. I went to the Atlanta Mania and while it wasn't anything special match wise, it was still a fun experience and I would definitely do again when i can.

• Like 1