DVDVR Message Board

[NOV 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I have such a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of Tim Donst doing death matches. A collegiate wrestler doing death matches just doesn't add up to me. I thought he would get a shot in ROH at some point or have a chance at getting to WWE.

I had no idea DJ Hyde was on scholarship to play football at Penn State :mellow:

1 hour ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

You're not wrong on any of that. But when Shawn was getting shit reactions after Mania 12, I guess I don't understand not having Vader win the title at Summerslam and start grooming another face? Maybe turn Owen, who was more reliable and not a shithead out of the ring. 

Vader had several things going against him at the point.  Number 1: He was a big fat dude and Vince kinda soured on them after Yokozuna ballooned up the way he did (Since Yoko has there been a legitimately fat champ?!  Not like a chubby, but an out-and-out big fat dude?  I can't think of any outside of Big Show and he's not that big when you factor in how tall he is).  Number 2: He was a WCW guy.  Vince was always going to struggle to make a WCW guy his champ (Even Austin got his first run with the belt way later than he could have done).  Number 3: He was super-stiff so it was easy for backstage politicians to say "He doesn't know how to work, he just hits people really hard" and have Vince believe it.  Plus with him losing his backstage fight to Paul Orndorff, he could be painted as a guy who is super-stiff and can't back it up outside the ring.

• Like 1

Paul Orndorff was a legit, old school badass though. 

The WWF tried using the same monster vs babyface champ formula on HBK that worked for Hogan 10 years prior. the difference was that the common fan did not like HBK. The fans from that era (and we are tbose same fans), could never fully embrace the same coward that threw his tag team partner through the barbershop window. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Just ask Nick Saban, whose Kent State Golden Flashes got beat by Mr. Wonderful's Tampa Spartans in the 1972 Tangerine Bowl! 

Oh, and uh, more germane to the point: In a shoot, Manny Fernandez put Orndorff in the same category of Legit Badass as Barbarian. 

3 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Vice did a big documentary piece on CZW and their Tournament of Death - I'll spoiler the link as the Youtube capture is particularly bloody/gory

Hide contents

My buddy, who's the photographer for CZW, told me about this tonight. I really can't stand CZW, but might check it out to make him happy.

28 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

The WWF tried using the same monster vs babyface champ formula on HBK that worked for Hogan 10 years prior. the difference was that the common fan did not like HBK. The fans from that era (and we are tbose same fans), could never fully embrace the same coward that threw his tag team partner through the barbershop window. 

But by that point, Orndorff was basically a 1 armed man due to the atrophy in his arm. Vader should've been able to handle him.

23 minutes ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

Just ask Nick Saban, whose Kent State Golden Flashes got beat by Mr. Wonderful's Tampa Spartans in the 1972 Tangerine Bowl! 

Oh, and uh, more germane to the point: In a shoot, Manny Fernandez put Orndorff in the same category of Legit Badass as Barbarian. 

I wouldn't believe Manny if he told me that snow was white.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thunderlips said:

My buddy, who's the photographer for CZW, told me about this tonight. I really can't stand CZW, but might check it out to make him happy.

Whatever you do, don't look at the comment section, but that probably goes for YouTube in general.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Z said:

Whatever you do, don't look at the comment section, but that probably goes for YouTube in general.

Rare time I'm interested in the comments. Since the view count means a lot of people are new to this grotesque garbage. Not even sure a rational brain can process what it is seeing.

10 minutes ago, Thunderlips said:

It was a really good doc, except for the part where DJ shows you how to blade like 5 minutes in, in his bedroom, at his parents house:)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

I had no idea DJ Hyde was on scholarship to play football at Penn State :mellow:

I was even more surprised to find out he went into banking after that triple ligament tear (which sounds gruesomely painful). And then after that... well, lets just say, he seems incredibly smart and incredibly hard to kill, so I would never want him on my bad side. 

14 hours ago, Technico Support said:

"Told a sexist joke."  You're seriously downplaying it.  If you don't get the difference between telling a joke and saying something gross and misogynist directly to a woman who has to sit there embarrassed and take it, then I don't know what to tell you and I wish you luck in your real world interactions with people.

Last time I checked, doing a parody/mockery of someone, was still a joke. Jokes can be clean, dirty, racist, whatever. If this gets you upset...you wouldn't last an hour in my world. I also don't recommend you watch comedies from the 80's and 90's.

Why are we treating it as if his comments are actually what he thinks and not a portrayal of a character that might be out of the times in 2016? It feels like he's doing his routine shtick - does shooty name dropping, sets a windup for delivery, throws a pitch, and WHIFF... strike out with a line that's too tasteless in today's world. It's almost like he was following a formula for a joke because that's probably what he was going for. Good comedy is all about timing, and clearly, this was the wrong time.

I don't think the actual person playing the character, who has a wife, would say that in his personal life or actually feels that way, do you? I'm pretty sure he's talked about his character doing things he wouldn't personally do or agrees with it times, but his job was his job and he did it I think was his response. I know that's not completely what happened here, but it feels to me that he was just doing his job as the character has always done, only it's not "in" anymore. Times have changed, and we just heard it pass Joey's character right on by with a joke that would have popped an ECW crowd big time in 1999.

He was in front of a crowd, isn't that when guys are supposed to be in character, performing, and turning things up to 11?

This is wrestling where crazy always happens. She didn't have to sit there and take it. It's not like an audible hasn't been called before. Would the crowd have popped if she hit him over the comment or would that have died too?

5 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

The thing RE: Vader and the WWE belt. Vince has always had that weird thing about his champion being "mainstream" acceptable. Guys like Vader. Kane, Undertaker, and Foley never fit that mode. 

And that's a real shame because he missed out on so many chances to make so much money.

• Like 1

Fuck, I really didn't need to see a pair of scissors stuck through somebody's tongue or a lighttube shoved up somebody's ass. I've seen a shitload of death matches but that is literally nothing I've ever wanted to see in a wrestling match. Don't watch that preview if you don't want to see that.

Also, and I know you spoilered it and we all know what we're in for, but damn DTTW, I wasn't expecting THAT. Could have used an actual warning.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

I think a face Owen could have been champ in 1996.

Owen winning the Rumble and facing Bret in the Ironman Match at WrestleMania could have been huge in terms of build up and story. Owen can then have the same run as HBK, dropping the title to Sid and working into the build of Austin v Bret the following year.

Of course, don't forget the whole Owen heel turn was supposed to be Bruce Hart turning on Bret and "mopping the floor" with Owen to show the WWF fans how good he was, leading to Bret defeating him at WM.  It was Bret who suggested Owen would fit the role better, that he was a better wrestler, and Pat Patterson tried to shoot it down and Bret realized it had been Patterson all those years who he believes kept Owen down.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Edwin said:

Did anyone grab pre-sale WrestleMania tickets?? I just grabbed mine, sooooo...

I AM GOING TO WRESTLEMANIA!!!!!

I'm freaking stoked no matter how much the card can possibly suck.

where you sittin bro? I was wondering how much the tickets were going for this year not that I'm making the trip or anything.