DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Krzystof Soszynski wrestled in Canadian indies before becoming an MMA fighter and making it to the UFC, where he was pretty successful.

21 hours ago, Web Conn said:

i don't know if anyone here watching Viceland but theres a show on there called Traveling With Stars: Action Bronson and Friends Watch Ancient Aliens hosted by rapper and wrestling fan extraordinaire Action Bronson. The show is pretty self explanatory Bronson and his guests smoke pot and watch Ancient Aliens kinda like Mystery Space Science Theater 3000. This weeks guest were Rob Van Dam and Sabu. Enjoy.

I'm ten minutes into this and it's awesome. RVD is baked out of his head. 

31 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I love the shit out of Viceland it's a super fun channel but I think they need start airing an indie wrestling promotion, Evolve or Beyond would fit perfectly IMO. 

I love VICELAND too, but they need to turn it down a notch on the amount of weed shows they have. I'm looking forward to the daily VICE News show they're about to have on HBO, too. As for the wrestling show on the channel... if they're going to cater to the milennial/stoner crowd, just say fuck it and give CHIKARA a show. Or bring back Kajiu Big Battel.

• Like 1

Pancrase was partially worked shoot like RINGS if I recall, so Suzuki doesn't work. Shamrock started in pro (and was better at it before MMA than after IMO) and Sakuraba and Takayama started in UWFi which I don't think was ever really shoot. Whoever bought the Other Japan '80s set know this better than I do. Severn and Frye look to be the only guys I can think of that went MMA to pro instead of the other way around. 

Still, this is all a "who started where" question. Legit shooters have been the first pro wrestlers ever.

EDIT: and of course I went and looked and got the initial question around backwards. So, is there anyone who started in MMA and went in to find success in wrestling? Like I initially thought this might be harder than 'wrestling -> MMA' to answer

11 hours ago, Matt D said:

Was a great show. If you check the internet matches thead I posted a bunch of matches from that guys channel. Does the Lawler match start off with him on the stage?

Anyways it was kind of odd to see Jimmy and the band practice for bit over an hour for what was 25 minutes worth of music.

Well the Lord Humongous in the Lawler match was a last minute replacement. Was originally suppose to be Dough Gilbert. But he couldn't make the show. So the promoter had the gear and called in some local guy. Now I am 6'3" barefoot. And LH was at least 4 inches shorter than me. I was told the guy's name but don't remember it. But after seeing the match Gary "Lord HUmongous" Nations is mad and ranting about it.

The same channel with the concert and that match has the rest of that show.PLus Atlantis vs Ultimo Guerrero from a Memphis show this past Feb.

I feel like there's going to be a flood of salty people in this section of the board, and the MMA part. The latter is already happening, and has been for a few days now. It's comparable to a few days ago when Del Rio held that press conference (AT A HOOTERS GUYS, LOL?) and Paige was there. Did anyone care? No, not really - but everyone seemed to find the need to chime in and comment on how "dumb" Paige is for following her boyfriend and making jokes about "dead eyes" and other stupid, horrible things.

I know the Punk hatejerk won't reach that, because it doesn't involve a female, but I missed that entire debacle when it happened (thank god) and just remembered it and wanted to comment on it. Pretty gross how many people were making jokes and fun of Paige and Del Rio for making grown-up life decisions on their own personal careers and relationships.

As for Punk, so I don't clutter up the ongoing UFC 203 thread... Still my favorite wrestler, and I'm super proud of the dude. Some people want to believe he did this just to get that Lesnar status so he can tell WWE to fuck off (stupid) or just to spite Vince/WWE (stupid), but I believe the guy when he says he loves MMA and wants to do it professionally and see this through to the end of his UFC contract. I'll always support the guy - except for buying a comic book about Drax the Destroyer.

• Like 2

It's a shame it went the way it went but I think we all knew it what the out come was gonna be. from what i've heard it wasnt even closr would have been cool if it went to decision but hey that;s life it doesn't always go the way it should go.

25 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

I got to watch the fight with a bunch of pro wrestlers after a show, so that was kind of awesome.  Half the wrestlers were rooting for Punk, while the other half made fun of them for rooting for Punk.

Was the one group the babyfaces and the other the heels? Cuz that would be awesome...

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

Was the one group the babyfaces and the other the heels? Cuz that would be awesome...

Kimd of.  The loudest of the anti-Punk group was the heel tag champ, who was teasing the face woman's champ for being a mark in a Blackhawks t-shirt.

10 hours ago, jstout said:

Just watching Seamus-Cesaro from Raw on Universal's replay, and it would be awesome if by the 7th match in the series, Cesaro was covered head to toe in kinesio tape.

The Swiss Yet-TAY!

Edit: Super Weak Machine beat me to the joke. I regret nothing.