DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Some try to compare ADR/Paige to Punk/AJ. There are major differences. Punk and AJ are married.  They were and are in a committed relationship. Also, AJ doesn't seem like the overly-rebellious type.  She left WWE because she realized it would be uncomfortable knowing her husband was being whispered about in corners. You can't work for a company that your husband is suing. She took a mature route and got away from a volatile situation.  Paige somewhat comes across as the sulking teen storming to her room because her parents won't allow her to pierce her nose.

I don't blame Paige for not appreciating WWE's busybody ways regarding her private life.  If she and Del Rio had been together for a couple of years and were discussing marriage, I would better understand her POV.  That's not what's happening.  There's nothing to indicate that this relationship will go the distance.  ADR is currently going through an ugly divorce that will impact his financial resources and access to his children.  Who knows how all this will affect his relationship with Paige? WWE has no right to invade her life like that.  But they aren't wrong with their overall assessment of the situation.

Paige had reached the pinnacle in terms of working with the company that would allow her to make the most money and gain the most fame. It really does feel, in part, that she's throwing away 2-3 years of her prime for someone she won't be with in 15-18 months.  She can and likely will get back in good standing with WWE.

I wonder how much becoming part of Total Divas derailed Paige.  In that she was being promoted as the Anti-Diva before that, but then she was parading around in front of a camera while getting drunk and hanging out with hipster rock band guys.  She lost the narrative in what made her different regarding actual wrestling.

It can't be overlooked that Paige was pushed as being several levels better than the other women pre-Divas Revolution.  Then, overnight, she became an also-ran.  Perhaps the biggest atrocity regarding DR is that they pretty much shat on the other womens' abilities.  Regardless of what anyone thinks of those abilities, you can't have a women's revolution where only 3 of them are considered important.  I don't think Paige was equipped to handle being placed on the backburner and felt that she was being wasted.  It wouldn't surprise me if that's what brought her and ADR together at first--a kinship of being put in bad angles and such (Paige's Reid Flair moment, MexAmerica for ADR).

It's fascinating to watch ADR/Paige in a vacuum, but it does make one wonder how she is going to make out in all this.  The potential for her to be OK in the long run is there.  But she could also find herself wandering around aimless for a while.  And that can be dangerous.  Ultimately, one hopes that it will all work out for her in a way that makes her happy.

• Like 1

The fact that you're not considering is they both suspiciously got popped for wellness violations. For that to happen you would expect it to be some sort of recreational drug they both tested positive for.  ADR is saying for him it was a prescription that WWE wasn't notified of. Who knows what the true story is but there is definitely the impression that WWE brass suspended them for drug violations over their unhappiness with the relationship. And knowing the way WWE operates, that is probably accurate.

If that is true, just think about how screwed up that is. 

I don't think the intention of the Divas Revolution was to crap on the rest of the division. They tried to pair them off and create factions, it just didn't stick. Paige got lost in the shuffle because of how unremarkable she is on the main roster. Even when Emma was in C-show purgatory she was still interesting in the ring. Paige on the main roster post-AJ has been dull.

41 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

The fact that you're not considering is they both suspiciously got popped for wellness violations. For that to happen you would expect it to be some sort of recreational drug they both tested positive for.  ADR is saying for him it was a prescription that WWE wasn't notified of. Who knows what the true story is but there is definitely the impression that WWE brass suspended them for drug violations over their unhappiness with the relationship. And knowing the way WWE operates, that is probably accurate.

If that is true, just think about how screwed up that is. 

I don't think the intention of the Divas Revolution was to crap on the rest of the division. They tried to pair them off and create factions, it just didn't stick. Paige got lost in the shuffle because of how unremarkable she is on the main roster. Even when Emma was in C-show purgatory she was still interesting in the ring. Paige on the main roster post-AJ has been dull.

She is the goth/misunderstood/loner/shy/unpopular girl.  It is hard to book for wrestling unless you understand the character and motivations.  Booked right and she goes over huge.  We all know WWE booking so she gets lost in the shuffle.

2 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Plus, they're like really public about it.  There's another relationship in wrestling happening outside of WWE that is slightly more scandalous/entertaining/trainwreck but nobody is really talking about it because they're not putting everything on blast themselves even though everyone knows what's happening that can even slightly read between the lines.

Only slightly more? Well then I have no interest in kno--OHGODPLEASETELLME

Sorry. What I meant to say is it's obviously none of my business. Carry on. 

52 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

ADR is saying for him it was a prescription that WWE wasn't notified of.

"Prescription I didn't tell the company about, "TRT I didn't tell the company about" and "tainted supplement" are all up there with "my Twitter was hacked" in the "bullshit excuses nobody ever believes" department.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

"Prescription I didn't tell the company about, "TRT I didn't tell the company about" and "tainted supplement" are all up there with "my Twitter was hacked" in the "bullshit excuses nobody ever believes" department.

I would agree with you except this is WWE we are talking about. The last three people I can recall being popped for wellness (Rose, Eva Marie and Reigns) all had prescriptions for adderall that werent properly filed with the office. So saying you tested positive for a drug you had a prescription for is not that big of a stretch.

Are you of the belief that it is a coincidence that Paige/ADR both failed the wellness policy at the exact same time for what looks like different drugs?

Still, at this point, if people aren't properly filing prescriptions when the policy's been around for a decade, it's on them.

The timing of Paige and ADR's is still REALLY suspect though, especially if they popped for different things (do we know what Paige popped for yet?)  Coincidence is possible, but not very likely..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

The last three people I can recall being popped for wellness (Rose, Eva Marie and Reigns) all had prescriptions for adderall that werent properly filed with the office. So saying you tested positive for a drug you had a prescription for is not that big of a stretch.

Last I heard, we still didn't know what Roman got popped for. I know Eva Marie's husband went on twitter about the adderall thing for her, but can you point me to where it was confirmed that Roman got popped for adderall?

21 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

Are you of the belief that it is a coincidence that Paige/ADR both failed the wellness policy at the exact same time for what looks like different drugs?

Well, if Alberto's really was TRT, I don't think Paige was getting testosterone replacement therapy.

Not that I believe it but that's the latest excuse per Luchablog

So Ryback announced that he is legally changing his name to Rybaack Allen Reeves.

Interesting, wondering if the WWE will challenge that trademark. I really think it should Ryback Allen Reeves III (The Third). Like change his gimmick to being Booston articrat or some shit who ahs to wrestle to get back into Daddy's will

James

17 minutes ago, J.H. said:

So Ryback announced that he is legally changing his name to Rybaack Allen Reeves.

Interesting, wondering if the WWE will challenge that trademark. I really think it should Ryback Allen Reeves III (The Third). Like change his gimmick to being Booston articrat or some shit who ahs to wrestle to get back into Daddy's will

James

So many questions....

If he changes his name to "Rybaxel Allen Reeves", can he charge double on the indy circuit?

Ryback Reeves?  WWE Legal may have something to stay about that.  Why go through the hassle?  "Ryfront" is right there for the taking.

Is that pronounced "Ryback" or "Rybaaa-aaa--aaaa-ck"  or "RYYYBBAAAAACCCCKKK".  Y'know, like "KHANNNN!!"."  Is William Shatner still alive?  Is he busy?  Maybe he could pick up a paycheck as Ryback's personal ring announcer.

I'm sad.he isn't changing his legal name to "Da Big Guy".  Was that already taken?

Finally, is changing your legal name to a slight variation of your shoot name better or worse than AJ Lee's title win tattoo?

This is too funny.  Now I want Jeff Hardy to legally change his name to "Deleted".  Can you do that, or do you have to legally have a first and last name.  I guess "Deleted Deleted" would work.

10 minutes ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Finally, is changing your legal name to a slight variation of your shoot name better or worse than AJ Lee's title win tattoo?

About a billion times worse. Not sure why people give AJ shit about her tattoo. It's a small, discreet tattoo of a date that symbolizes a significant professional/personal accomplishment for her. It's in no way on par with literally living your gimmick.

Ryback having to change the spelling makes it extra sad. Is he really going to get that much more money on the indy circuit as "Ryba(a)ck" than he would as "Ryan Reeves, formerly known as Ryback in WWE?"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Still, at this point, if people aren't properly filing prescriptions when the policy's been around for a decade, it's on them.

The timing of Paige and ADR's is still REALLY suspect though, especially if they popped for different things (do we know what Paige popped for yet?)  Coincidence is possible, but not very likely..

If it was this suspect, and given everything else on the relationship, it would honestly seem equally likely for one of the two to go in:

If it was recreational: ADR gets a suspension after he tests positive. He pulled the same thing as that anecdote Marty Jannetty had when he tested positive for cocaine and went to Vince saying "this is bullshit, I was doing it with Jake Roberts, The Iron Sheik, etc.". Vince said "Oh really? Tell me more..." -and those people got busted shortly after.

If it was prescription: ADR gets busted. Paige calls on his defense complaining, trying to get a sympathetic ear. WWE tells her "nope, not happening, it changed". Paige finally gets fed up, says "then...then I did it too! What're you going to do about it?". WWE, trying to pull some sense into her, called her bluff when she tried it and suspended her. 

Given the short difference in time before the announcements, and all the signs WWE isn't releasing Paige mostly because the stance seems to be "we know you're willing to throw everything away for him, but we're certain this won't last and we won't LET YOU do something you're going to regret"- those don't seem AS unlikely as it'd think.