DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

18 hours ago, Casey said:

I feel like there's going to be a flood of salty people in this section of the board, and the MMA part. The latter is already happening, and has been for a few days now. It's comparable to a few days ago when Del Rio held that press conference (AT A HOOTERS GUYS, LOL?) and Paige was there. Did anyone care? No, not really - but everyone seemed to find the need to chime in and comment on how "dumb" Paige is for following her boyfriend and making jokes about "dead eyes" and other stupid, horrible things.

I know the Punk hatejerk won't reach that, because it doesn't involve a female, but I missed that entire debacle when it happened (thank god) and just remembered it and wanted to comment on it. Pretty gross how many people were making jokes and fun of Paige and Del Rio for making grown-up life decisions on their own personal careers and relationships.

As for Punk, so I don't clutter up the ongoing UFC 203 thread... Still my favorite wrestler, and I'm super proud of the dude. Some people want to believe he did this just to get that Lesnar status so he can tell WWE to fuck off (stupid) or just to spite Vince/WWE (stupid), but I believe the guy when he says he loves MMA and wants to do it professionally and see this through to the end of his UFC contract. I'll always support the guy - except for buying a comic book about Drax the Destroyer.

Well, it's just the whole problem.

Why does every bit of news in fighting this week have to surround a notorious asshole former WWE Champion in 2011 who got destroyed in MMA who's dating a black-haired Diva who was popular with the fans?

• Like 2

Paige is potentially ruining her career for the sake of a guy she's been dating for a few short months.  Some people may think it's noble and romantic, others may think it's stupid as hell.  Who are we to judge?  The heart wants what it wants.

But if you can't find the humor in a "Mexican aristocrat" holding a presser in a breastaurant while even the people in his entourage can't be bothered to act like they give two shits, then your soul is dead and I pity you.  Because that shit is hilarious.

• Like 15

Maybe Punk should have fought someone his age and also matching his experience level. That would not have been hard to find with the zillions of MMA gyms and independent promotions. A fair fight. You know, instead of a 24 year old crowbar grappler who usually wins by rear naked choke and has potential to be a real UFC star.

UFC booked Punk in a squash to make pro wrestling look inferior. If a guy is learning to drive a car you don't put him in a NASCAR race, unless you want to make him look bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

Paige is potentially ruining her career for the sake of a guy she's been dating for a few short months.  Some people may think it's noble and romantic, others may think it's stupid as hell.  Who are we to judge?  The heart wants what it wants.

The first half of this directly conflicts with the second part. Who are we to judge... but she's potentially ruining her career because of a guy!

I also don't see how it's potentially ruining her career. Yeah, poor Paige, not getting to do 10 minute matches on TV and being in the backseat to people like Bayley, Sasha and Charlotte. WHEN she does end up quitting, why is it over for her? Because it's not WWE? I've never gotten that thought process. It's not like she's getting paid millions or anything.

• Like 1

Along those same lines, nothing anyone posts here will change either of these two people's ability to make a buck in wrestling. I also highly doubt either of them will read any of the posts. If they did? They would just say it's the internet and people are just assholes. 

I didn't write any of those posts but I laughed at a bunch of them so guilty as charged. 

22 minutes ago, Casey said:

The first half of this directly conflicts with the second part. Who are we to judge... but she's potentially ruining her career because of a guy!

I also don't see how it's potentially ruining her career. Yeah, poor Paige, not getting to do 10 minute matches on TV and being in the backseat to people like Bayley, Sasha and Charlotte. WHEN she does end up quitting, why is it over for her? Because it's not WWE? I've never gotten that thought process. It's not like she's getting paid millions or anything.

Well, she's locked into a long contract, so if she decides she doesn't want to work there anymore, there's a good chance they're going to prevent her from working anywhere for quite a while.  

Also, saying she's potentially ruining her career over a relationship is merely stating a fact.

51 minutes ago, Matt788 said:

Maybe Punk should have fought someone his age and also matching his experience level. That would not have been hard to find with the zillions of MMA gyms and independent promotions.

Well, Kimbo Slice was not around so they were limited in their options.

Come to think of it, Shamrock would have been a great option too.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bazzil said:

Sheamus goes to irish whip him but Cesaros hand detaches and sand falls out!

and then James Mitchell can do a run in and cut a promo about the crowd felching their dog.

ok, maybe not.

Dude, you may have something here.

Hear me out: what if Cesaro's new gimmick is he has attained mastery of Egyp-Tsu which he learned from Grandmaster Carnovan.

11 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Also, saying she's potentially ruining her career over a relationship is merely stating a fact.

:rolleyes:

Good god. It's almost like some people think she can't work other places and make money and be happy. WWE doesn't equal career, not for everyone. 

• Like 2

Until her contract is up. Which is what, 2019 probably? That's what most reports I've read have said. I'm not of the opinion that she has squandered all of her money. She can survive.  She was supposedly making $250K a year (yes I realize the take-home is smaller after travel and all of that). Add that in with her supposed injury, maybe some time off like this is a good thing for her. WWE would probably go the Rey Mysterio route since she's injured and still has a contract, but she's hired an attorney already apparently.

Point is, her career isn't over just because she won't be on WWE TV or not able to work for a few years. If anything, it'll do her some good.

4 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

I just want to point out the indy scene isn't as financially lucrative for female wrestlers as it is male wrestlers.  Being packaged with The Whole F'N No Show isnt gonna help with that.

Losing her WWE and Total Divas money is going to be a major financial hit for Paige. I can't see her making as much money on the indies as she does in WWE.

I know we often treat peoples real lives like entertainment so I can understand why that would rub some people the wrong way. We don't personally know any of these people or their situations. We're just having fun.;

The ADR/Paige stuff is the pinnacle of treating peoples personal lives like entertainment. It is far more fascinating than anything they've done with either character in years. You have the age difference... both getting popped for wellness violations... being put on separate brands... the hooters press conference with Paige in the shadows... ADR popping up in Paiges family's promotion. 

Plus, they're like really public about it.  There's another relationship in wrestling happening outside of WWE that is slightly more scandalous/entertaining/trainwreck but nobody is really talking about it because they're not putting everything on blast themselves even though everyone knows what's happening that can even slightly read between the lines.

24 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Plus, they're like really public about it.  There's another relationship in wrestling happening outside of WWE that is slightly more scandalous/entertaining/trainwreck but nobody is really talking about it because they're not putting everything on blast themselves even though everyone knows what's happening that can even slightly read between the lines.

I wish I was better than sitting here reading this and being like

Spoiler

latest?cb=20160122071120

• Like 5