DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

22 hours ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

Lol.  I'll defend Dave Meltz to the death, but that was the dumbest argument ever.  Same thing when Zack Ryder said winning the IC belt at Mania was the greatest moment of his life and Dave had a fucking aneurysm over it.  

To be fair, the "Greatest Day" before that was going to Disneyland during the Star Wars promotions.

Enjoyable Twitter Q&A from Orton last night...

He doesn't like Punk but he respects him for fighting someone more experienced. He'd never do UFC himself because he prefers making money over a long period of time and he'd probably "fake punch" the guy and get choked out. He'd like to see Cesaro as champion and he's very pro-Heath Slater. He also insinuated that he was drunk and that's why he was tweeting so much.

• Like 1

The making fun of ADR and Paige is just the same wry humor that pretty much everyone here has about stuff. Personally, I laughed at all the Paige jokes not because I'm laughing at Paige, but because they're funny and because there is some humor in the whole thing. When I was 22, I made terrible relationship decisions, too. I get where Paige is coming from. Hell, she even got what is usually the kiss of death: a tattoo of her partner's name. Come on! That's too cliché not to laugh at. 

I do hope HHH and Stephanie get that Paige's brain is still developing and that she's something of a slave to her lizard core right now, and even if she sort of torches a bridge on the way out, they leave the door open for her to come back someday. She's young, sometimes you make dumb mistakes when you're young. 

Hell, I know old people who make worse mistakes, for that matter. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

The making fun of ADR and Paige is just the same wry humor that pretty much everyone here has about stuff. Personally, I laughed at all the Paige jokes not because I'm laughing at Paige, but because they're funny and because there is some humor in the whole thing. When I was 22, I made terrible relationship decisions, too. I get where Paige is coming from. Hell, she even got what is usually the kiss of death: a tattoo of her partner's name. Come on! That's too cliché not to laugh at. 

I do hope HHH and Stephanie get that Paige's brain is still developing and that she's something of a slave to her lizard core right now, and even if she sort of torches a bridge on the way out, they leave the door open for her to come back someday. She's young, sometimes you make dumb mistakes when you're young. 

Like Mae Young with Mark Henry?

• Like 1

A lot of the humor of the Paige and Del Rio story is related to how mercurial and weird celebrity is in pro wrestling. They've just ceased to exist to a lot of people who will never watch anything outside of WWE. When a television star quits or is fired from a show, they have a lot of opportunities elsewhere to at least seek work with the same amount of exposure. Wrestling is like an actor losing a high profile job and immediately having to hustle dinner theater and convention gigs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Charlie M. said:

Enjoyable Twitter Q&A from Orton last night...

He doesn't like Punk but he respects him for fighting someone more experienced. He'd never do UFC himself because he prefers making money over a long period of time and he'd probably "fake punch" the guy and get choked out. He'd like to see Cesaro as champion and he's very pro-Heath Slater. He also insinuated that he was drunk and that's why he was tweeting so much.

Usually, it's a given that being a favorite of top guys makes you a top guy yourself. Or at least it's perceived that way. (Maybe that's simply not the case?) Basically every wrestler interviewed goes on record as a Cesaro fan--including guys like Orton, Cena, and Austin--and yet it never seems to move the real decision makers much. I'm not saying it ought to, in and of itself, but it feels strange. 

16 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

The Necro thought made me think of Reckless Youth... and how I've known about him for almost 20 years and still have never seen one of his matches.

Do yourself a favor and Google "Steel City Wrestling Reckless Youth." You can watch him wrestling Mike Quackenbush on Episode 3 with me and Mark Madden on commentary.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, (BP) said:

A lot of the humor of the Paige and Del Rio story is related to how mercurial and weird celebrity is in pro wrestling. They've just ceased to exist to a lot of people who will never watch anything outside of WWE. When a television star quits or is fired from a show, they have a lot of opportunities elsewhere to at least seek work with the same amount of exposure. Wrestling is like an actor losing a high profile job and immediately having to hustle dinner theater and convention gigs. 

Thanks a lot. Now all I want to see is the Rybaack solving a whodunit while I enjoy a savory salmon fillet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I'm a firm believer of this.  Life is for positive experiences and a hearty chuckle now and then.  And every joke is not at a person's expense or to belittle their decisions.  A life lived without even a sense of reflective humor is like holding a cone of your favorite ice cream and never getting to eat it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

If Warrior and Sable came back, anyone can.

Difference being they made WWE lots of money. Paige can probably come back but without a spoonful of crow and humility in her, it's not like she was that special.

4 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I'm sure they do.  And Stephanie had children with a guy that drugged and married her against her will when she was Paige's age, so there's still a chance that whatever mistakes Paige makes can work out alk right in the end.

• Like 16