DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

13 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

Except for Dancing with the Stars, VH1 I Love The 80s, Battlebots, But I'm Chris Jericho, etc etc

Correct me here, but aren't those outside projects Jericho got on his own that the WWE had zero involvement in getting. I am under the impression these were things he did in his time away from the company to prove his value to them. The whole "get in to get out" mentality and what not.

13 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Since you've chosen to ignore everyone else defending their recent work in favor of your own "obviously they're whores" narrative, why should I bother?  You do you.

Recent improvements, that show came out in 2013. Even then, since when has workrate equaled WWE helps get you a show on another network. Where were Eddie and Benoits shows then?

Hey I'm not the one who dated up the food chain and have a few stories about me using my sexual allure to get me places in life. Golddiggers are a very real thing. Maybe they are maybe they aren't but it's kinda funny how they moved up the foodchain without exactly setting the world on fire in a highly political business.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think "Total Divas" is a WWE project either? I don't know any of the particulars of how that show came about, but "good looking sisters while at work" reality show seems like an easy rip of the Kardashians(spelling, I don't care). 

I also don't see how the WWE wouldn't really want either of them to come back, based on the current state of both brands. I don't even think they are very good, but they are still in the middle, work rate wise. To look at where they are at and think straight gold digger, I don't see it because of regardless of who they are dating/married to, they are marketable. 

5 hours ago, DTTW said:

Correct me here, but aren't those outside projects Jericho got on his own that the WWE had zero involvement in getting. I am under the impression these were things he did in his time away from the company to prove his value to them. The whole "get in to get out" mentality and what not.

Recent improvements, that show came out in 2013. Even then, since when has workrate equaled WWE helps get you a show on another network. Where were Eddie and Benoits shows then?

Hey I'm not the one who dated up the food chain and have a few stories about me using my sexual allure to get me places in life. Golddiggers are a very real thing. Maybe they are maybe they aren't but it's kinda funny how they moved up the foodchain without exactly setting the world on fire in a highly political business.

What channel does the magical WWE meritocracy air on?

Sounds like a hoot.

So Raw is just the old logo, except it's made of velvet, some people think the W looks like an M, and the bar is on the bottom

latest?cb=20120122181557

Smackdown is super boring and reminiscent of Impact.

I hate to be so critical about seemingly small things, like these logos, but to me the overall presentation of a show is huge, and these were a swing and a miss for me.

And as much as I'd love to see it, I really very seriously doubt they'll each have new, unique sets. I could see them pulling some half-ass move where they just use all the components of the current set in a different configuration

• Like 1

I just watched Shawn Michaels vs Jeff Jarrett for the first time in many years,took place 21 years ago today (7/23/95).   I really was not thrilled with it.   It's never been very high on my top Shawn matches list.   Does it still hold up?   Meltzer rated it 4 1/2 **** at the time and was considered a MOTY candidate.     If you love this match, please explain to me about its greatness.    Shawn took some cool bumps, but that was about it for me...

22 hours ago, AxB said:

True or false: when you look at the various wrestling brands on telly, from RAW to Smackdown to NXT, the one with the best Tag Team division is... IMPACT? Although as soon as Davey Richards comes back he'll immediately make it the worst one by the fact of his mere existence, obviously.

(nb: Lucha Underground isn't on telly over here, so I don't know how their tag division is).

True! But I am a huge Wolves fan and thought they were the best team going before Davey's injury.

*Shrug*  I like the Raw logo.  Smackdown one isn't amazing, but it's not terrible either.

Also, TNA has quietly become a totally watchable wrestling program full of young, hungry wrestlers with defined characters trying to get themselves over.  Bobby Lashley has morphed into this wonderful Brock Lesnar-y champion and Eli Drake is my favourite 'This guy has something' wrestlers who is pretty green but feels like he could be something.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Chikara did 2 shows today here in Toronto...and the first time I read about it was today. If I knew I might've gone to the afternoon show. 

I know Rob was going (perhaps against his will).

Dalton Castle is the sweetest fucking guy and he totally rules. I really think he has all the tools to be a big deal even for the shit stains running WWE.

DBS Jr. was also at the show in Vancouver and he stiffed the shit out of a dude after said dude laid a potato farm on DBS' belly. DBS is so strong and really projects great size. Damn good worker.

On 7/23/2016 at 10:06 AM, joseph2112 said:

Its official then. TNA has been purchased by the WWE and immediately put to work in the graphic design department. 

The RAW logo looks like a red ripoff of the 1994-1995 ECW logo.  That logo sucked too

13 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Dalton Castle is the sweetest fucking guy and he totally rules. I really think he has all the tools to be a big deal even for the shit stains running WWE.

DBS Jr. was also at the show in Vancouver and he stiffed the shit out of a dude after said dude laid a potato farm on DBS' belly. DBS is so strong and really projects great size. Damn good worker.

Dalton is a class act. I used to see him every month for shows and he is hilarious.  If you haven't listened to his AM Radio show you should check it out. Also his Youtube video's  Brotherhood of traveling tights are great too.

On Raw tonight I'd love to see it start off with the old Raw is War theme, with the current roster walking through the burning warehouse. I hope that there's a new set, and its a bit less polished, more rugged. Maybe playing to the fact Foley is the GM. Wishful thinking, maybe. 

Per Cageside

Due to mutual dissatisfaction with how his second stint with the company has gone, it looks like Alberto Del Rio's time with WWE may be winding down again. Some backstage believe he'll be gone when his contract allows it in October.

One would assume splitting him and Paige up was the final straw

• Like 1