DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

The WWE webpage just throw up a brief story that Emma suffered a back injury at the house show last night

Who knows what is going on with that

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The WWE webpage just throw up a brief story that Emma suffered a back injury at the house show last night

Who knows what is going on with that

Wwe.com updated the story to say that Emma ruptured a disc in her back and requires surgery.

3 hours ago, Patrick B. said:

Mark Henry will be the special guest at World League Wrestling in Troy, MO on August 27th.

I anxiously await your sign suggestions.

Make sure it's a salmon colored sign in case he's sporting his retirement jacket.

• Like 1

Emma has the worst luck. 

Dana should be sent back down because she needs seasoning in the ring and there aren't enough women built up on NXT television anyway. I'd be down for a Bayley/Dana Brooke feud for the next month or two. 

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

So they can find a story for R-Truth but they can't find a story for Sasha Banks. WTF. Have her squash some people, little mini feud with someone, anything.

I don't think it's so much that they can't find a story for Sasha, as it is them fearing a Sasha storyline will distract away from Nattie and lead to crowds hijacking the (surprisingly decent) Charlotte-Nattie feud with "We want Sasha" chants.  They also probably figure Sasha will be less likely to get hurt working (theoretically) lower impact house shows rather than TV matches where the tendency might be to go a little harder, a little riskier to keep the crowd into it, knowing how capricious Vince can be with stuff that he feels is killing the live audience off.  Lastly, having Sasha lose TV matches to someone like Summer Rae or Naomi won't keep her as strong, and beating them, right now, does nothing for Sasha and makes it even harder to dig Naomi/Summer Rae out of their respective creative ruts.

I kind of have a feeling WWE is going to start a New Era/Old Era feud that culminates at Summerslam.  The way they keep bringing it up, seems like something they might do and Sasha's being kept off TV could be related to that and bringing her back as a "surprise".

6 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Emma has the worst luck. 

Dana should be sent back down because she needs seasoning in the ring and there aren't enough women built up on NXT television anyway. I'd be down for a Bayley/Dana Brooke feud for the next month or two. 

I think Dana actually looks fairly ready for WWE TV.  She's not going to be asked to carry workrate-ish matches the way she'd be expected to in NXT.  She can just be a solid, hateable bad girl.  I'd love to see her become Charlotte's bodyguard/muscle or just buddy as their gimmicks would play off each other quite well.  I actually think Charlotte forming her own clique of her, Dana and Eva Marie (Would've been Emma but the injury puts an end to that) would be excellent.

Lastly, isn't it about time for them to introduce Women's Tag Titles?  So much of their booking/storyline issues would be taken care of that way.  An uneasy Becky/Sasha alliance to be the first Women's Tag Champions, Team BAD, Team Blonde (Dana/Summer), it seems like a really easy way to keep the women on TV without having to make any half-hearted "She stole my shampoo commercial"-type storylines to explain away feuds.

29 minutes ago, Red is Dead said:

A question for the thread, while I'm bored off my napper at work.

Is the Brooklyn NXT Takeover the best one of the lot?

I think Dallas is #1 and Brooklyn is #2, but I was in Dallas so I might be biased.

1 hour ago, Red is Dead said:

A question for the thread, while I'm bored off my napper at work.

Is the Brooklyn NXT Takeover the best one of the lot?

I think Brooklyn is #1 and Dallas is #2, but I was in Brooklyn so I might be biased.

I think Brooklyn but it isn't outrageous to think Dallas

Bayley/Sasha is better than Bayley/Asuka, Joe/Corbin is better than Corbin/Aries and Balor/Owens is better than Balor/Joe so those favor Brooklyn

The tag title match from Dallas is much better than Brooklyn (hot crowd for Blue Pants aside) and Zayn/Nakamura is better than anything on Brooklyn (except Bayley/Sasha but that is again a huge bias on my part because Bayley/Sasha 1 is probably my favorite match of the last 25 years)

Brooklyn also had Liger

Definitely Brooklyn for me.  Aside from the points Rippa made, that was the night where I really felt like a fan who hasn't been jaded by all the insider stuff over the years.  It made me think back to how I'd get into wrestling when I was a kid and it was a wonderful feeling.  I wouldn't be mad at those who thought Nak/Zan was better than Bayley/Sasha.  But the women's match was something special that I'll remember for many years.  Heck, if I can get out of work I'm going to meet Sasha Monday morning at this store just to tell her that (she's doing a meet a green with Natalya).

I vote Dallas.  The first show since maybe WM30 that I literally went back and watched all the way through the next day.  I think it's a show that literally hit on all cylinders and was booked almost flawlessly.  The only nitpick I have is that Corbin/Aries went too long.  Shave five minutes off that and it might be the perfect WWE show.  Every match was great, I think the right person won in almost every instance (Joe prob should have gone over), and I was never bored.  And I wasn't even against the blood stoppage since it made Joe look like more of a monster.

Brooklyn had the best match and the most emotion with Sasha/Bayley but I honestly had to go back to remember what else was on it aside from the ladder match and Liger.

That's tough. I like Balor/Joe more than Balor/Owens, but Joe/Corbin was better than Corbin/Aries. The tag title match and Sami/Nakamura were both insane and the latter of those was almost as good as Sasha/Bayley. Sasha/Bayley had a feel good moment that blows away everything in wrestling except for DB winning at WM and is obviously a better match than the excellent Sasha/Asuka. Another feather in the Brooklyn show's cap is how much fun Breeze/Liger was.

Top to bottom, Dallas was consistently excellent all night, kind of like Calgary Stampede, but Brooklyn had higher highs that made you have to get through face Vaudevillains and an OK match with Crews and Dillinger.

• Like 2