DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

These are the alerts I get from the ESPN app

JOHN CENA WILL HOST THE 2016 ESPYS!!!!!

I regret every decision I have made in my life that has lead to this moment

ESPN profiled Lucha Underground on Sportscenter not too long ago.

If an awards show can somehow end with Pentagon Jr. running in and breaking Cena's arm, then that alert was worth reading and sharing.

• Like 4

I was at the Portland show it was pretty packed I didn't know it was close to 5k though, but it makes sense us Pacific Northwesterners are starved for live wrestling. And it's cool it drew so well so now they will be back.

23 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

How big are these buildings?  Those are some sad numbers for WWE.  How long until they're back to playing the Cape Cod Melody Tent?

The Raleigh show was at the PNC Arena, which is the same place the Hurricanes play.  I'd say it could hold 18k-ish for a wrestling show, depending on the setup.  They probably curtained off the upper level, but still that's pretty damn empty.

Edit:  I just checked and Over the Limit 2012 was held there and only drew 8000, which seems awful low.

28 minutes ago, The Nature Boy said:

I love that Roman Reigns, World Champion, works in the largest city on the tour and only manages to draw 500 more people than the terrible card in the much smaller city. 

That guy is a draw, right? 

#Blamedanielbryan

22 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

The Raleigh show was at the PNC Arena, which is the same place the Hurricanes play.  I'd say it could hold 18k-ish for a wrestling show, depending on the setup.  They probably curtained off the upper level, but still that's pretty damn empty.

Edit:  I just checked and Over the Limit 2012 was held there and only drew 8000, which seems awful low.

Wow, so not even 1/4 full.  Damn.

7 hours ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

If I went to that Roanoke show I would want my money back.  What a shitty card.

Reminds me of the show I got conned into about 2 years ago(Natalya said she would get me a ticket and I showed up with a friend with no ticket being there). New Day, pre-popularity/New Day Sucks era, in the semi-main.

6 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

SummerSlam 2000 was also held there, which did draw over 18,000.

8 hours ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

If I went to that Roanoke show I would want my money back.  What a shitty card.

I live in Charlottesville and was on the fence about going to the show on Sunday. I looked up the results of the Roanoke show and figured we'd get the same card. I usually will go to any sort of live wrestling I can but I couldn't be bothered to go see a main event of Kalisto/Ambrose/Rusev or a Sin Cara vs. Whatever Ascension Guy is Still ARound match.

7 hours ago, Technico Support said:

How big are these buildings?  Those are some sad numbers for WWE.  How long until they're back to playing the Cape Cod Melody Tent?

John Paul Jones Arena (Charlottesville, VA) holds about 14,500. Don't know how many they drew for that show but I have a friend who went and he said the crowd was really sparse and they had a lot of the arena sectioned off.

I wish the stage setup/Titantron wasn't so big because there's a lot of 4,000-7,000 seat arenas out there that would draw some rabid fans that haven't seen a TV Taping in a long time.

I think there's no way Cena's done winning World Titles.  I mean, look at how much they've been hyping his return (multiple times a Raw, every Raw).  I don't think WWE puts that much effort into people in the upper card.  Look at Cena hosting the ESPYs and being in several big name films as of late, as well as hosting his own reality show.  He's still, by far, the biggest mainstream active wrestler they've got.

• Like 3

He'll tie the record within the next 12 months, lose it soon after, and then have at least one more run which they'll describe as history making and record breaking a thousand times when it happens.

• Like 1

Wrestling belts have been props forever.

As for Cena, I'm not really sure if he'll break the record or not. Whether he does win the belt again soon or not will be a nice measurement of how serious they are about the "new generation" though.

• Like 1