DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

7 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

He'll still have nothing on Lawler.

Cena's reigns mean absolutely nothing to me. As do anyone's from the Attitude era onward. It became a prop after 1998.

It's always been a prop.  Flair dropped the supposedly sacred belt spur-of-the-moment once or twice to local yokels in foreign countries to avoid riots.  He wasn't thinking of the sacrosanct lineage of Gotch and Hackenschmidt when dudes were throwing rocks at him and trying to jump the barricades.

• Like 4

Another thing to consider is, even with the Rubicon of "16" looming, there's always that chance (with injuries and internal falling outs and whatnot) that Something Will Happen and Cena will be seen as the best option for a panic reign once more.  Hell, getting to 16 might even make that more plausible as it's an easy, ready-made, break glass in case of emergency storyline to go to.

6 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I know I've said this many times but I can't shake the feeling that Summerslam will be Cena v Roman

As that's the biggest possible match they have in the chamber, including part timers at this point,I'd agree that's happening either at Summerslam or next year at Mania.

I think Cena will be the defacto face for most of the audience vs Reigns. Booing Reigns is a thing and it's more pronounced than booing Cena was. Cena was always about 50/50, and he gets huge pops when he comes out which gradually turn to boos. Reigns is usually at best around 35/65 and is met with a chorus of boos immediately. The crowd has a level of respect of Cena that the do not have for Roman.

• Like 1

WWE in recent years has had difficulty understanding the concept of supply and demand. You can't just add a 3rd hour to Raw and expect is to have no effect on ratings. Viewers will begin to feel burnt out and tune out. And the effect on ratings follows to Smackdown. There is way too much supply. Even most of the matches on ppv have been run on free tv in the leadup to the ppv matches. If it wasn't for the network who would be buying these things?

The same can be said of the house show business. Every week it seems like they are plugging some house show when I'm watching Raw. All the while they are running their roster into the ground. How much profit are they actually making on a house show that draws 4-7k? If you start playing with a calculator it can't possibly be very much. If they decrease the frequency they hold house shows in some of these markets I don't see how you don't increase attendance simply by lowering the supply.  

Then you have nxt. Who has a one hour show every week and talents who don't get overexposed largely because of it. When they run a house show in your area you have no idea if/when they will come back. This is a much healthier supply/demand relationship. 

5 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

WWE in recent years has had difficulty understanding the concept of supply and demand. You can't just add a 3rd hour to Raw and expect is to have no effect on ratings. Viewers will begin to feel burnt out and tune out. And the effect on ratings follows to Smackdown. There is way too much supply. Even most of the matches on ppv have been run on free tv in the leadup to the ppv matches. If it wasn't for the network who would be buying these things?

Reports are that the USA Network is responsible for the third hour and either gives or gave WWE a considerable amount of money for it - and as far as the USA Network is concerned, the lowest rated hour of RAW is almost certainly more lucrative than whatever shitty USA original programming is the next highest rated non-WWE show.

And for all the talk about viewers getting burned out on the repetitiveness, I don't know how many people are actually watching RAW and saying "Fucking Kalisto-Del Rio AGAIN? You know, I don't give a shit anymore, I'm not watching next week." We all complain about it here, but we're still watching.

If there wasn't demand for the amount of WWE programming there is, it wouldn't be there.

28 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

WWE in recent years has had difficulty understanding the concept of supply and demand.

Someone should show them old clips of the Val Venis/Godfather tag team. The concept was pretty clearly explained. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Reports are that the USA Network is responsible for the third hour and either gives or gave WWE a considerable amount of money for it - and as far as the USA Network is concerned, the lowest rated hour of RAW is almost certainly more lucrative than whatever shitty USA original programming is the next highest rated non-WWE show.

And for all the talk about viewers getting burned out on the repetitiveness, I don't know how many people are actually watching RAW and saying "Fucking Kalisto-Del Rio AGAIN? You know, I don't give a shit anymore, I'm not watching next week." We all complain about it here, but we're still watching.

If there wasn't demand for the amount of WWE programming there is, it wouldn't be there.

When I'm talking about supply and demand I'm talking about the correlation in the amount of hours of programming/number of live events and viewers/last attendance. You're talking about the demands of networks for more WWE programming because even if ratings are declining, it still makes good financial sense. They are two different things. 

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

Rumors point to the Survivor Series in Toronto this year, according to a friend who works at the Air Canada Centre. I'm excited.

Meltzer said HIAC will be in Boston, Survivor Series in Toronto and TLC in Pittsburgh.

• Like 1

Cena will get to seventeen. The belt might be a prop, but it's a prop that the company probably wants a lifelong company man to have the record for, and Flair on the other hand got most of his title reigns in Ted Turner's wrasslin' company. 

Re: Cena/Reigns, I believe that we are getting close to the point in Cena's career where the crowd decides to just cheer him because he's Cena and has longevity and enough good matches that he transcends a lot of whatever else has happened over the past decade. That last U.S. Championship run is looked fondly at in terms of matches by the Wreddit types on the internet, who now see him as a good wrestler because of it (which is absurd, I know). I feel like crowds are almost ready to accept Cena as a legend who gets cheers for being a legend. As long as they don't give him super-long WWE Championship runs anytime soon, that will probably happen in the next few years. 

51 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

When I'm talking about supply and demand I'm talking about the correlation in the amount of hours of programming/number of live events and viewers/last attendance. You're talking about the demands of networks for more WWE programming because even if ratings are declining, it still makes good financial sense. They are two different things. 

Right but you can't say "WWE doesn't understand supply and demand" and then point to the 3 hour Raws as an example when, in that instance, it's being mandated by the network.  I mean, yes, they definitely don't understand supply and demand, but that example in particular is incorrect.  I'll give you house shows, though.  How can they be making their money back when playing to 1/4 full buildings?  Clearly demand to see WWE SUPERSTARS LIVE is waning.

I guess that's the problem with being in bed with a network. Declining ratings to your flagship programming is not a concern because you can offset it with more programming. Which is all well and good for USA, but when is it a concern for WWE?

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

It's always been a prop.  Flair dropped the supposedly sacred belt spur-of-the-moment once or twice to local yokels in foreign countries to avoid riots.  He wasn't thinking of the sacrosanct lineage of Gotch and Hackenschmidt when dudes were throwing rocks at him and trying to jump the barricades.

Ah, the story of having to drop it to Victor Jovica and match second Piper getting paid with a spittoon of coke...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

I wonder how much DVR has helped in regards to things like this. I don't know anyone that watches Raw live unless they're actually at the show. I wonder how many people would tune in every week if they couldn't reach for the x4 button for every Del Rio match, Sheamus match, McMahon promo, 3rd replay of the opening segment, etc. Not to mention commercials during every match.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I wonder how much DVR has helped in regards to things like this. I don't know anyone that watches Raw live unless they're actually at the show. I wonder how many people would tune in every week if they couldn't reach for the x4 button for every Del Rio match, Sheamus match, McMahon promo, 3rd replay of the opening segment, etc. Not to mention commercials during every match.

Judging by the number of people that tweet about Raw and post about Raw here immediately after it finishes, I would bet that a sizable contingent of Raw watchers still watch live. 

Jenji Kohan - who created Orange is the New Black & Weeds - is working on a new show for Netflix called GLOW.  And yes, it's about the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling.

http://www.diva-dirt.com/123432/orange-new-black-creator-working-womens-wrestling-series-netflix/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

I just watch the 90 minute truncated version on Hulu the next day