DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

51 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

When I'm talking about supply and demand I'm talking about the correlation in the amount of hours of programming/number of live events and viewers/last attendance. You're talking about the demands of networks for more WWE programming because even if ratings are declining, it still makes good financial sense. They are two different things. 

Right but you can't say "WWE doesn't understand supply and demand" and then point to the 3 hour Raws as an example when, in that instance, it's being mandated by the network.  I mean, yes, they definitely don't understand supply and demand, but that example in particular is incorrect.  I'll give you house shows, though.  How can they be making their money back when playing to 1/4 full buildings?  Clearly demand to see WWE SUPERSTARS LIVE is waning.

I guess that's the problem with being in bed with a network. Declining ratings to your flagship programming is not a concern because you can offset it with more programming. Which is all well and good for USA, but when is it a concern for WWE?

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

It's always been a prop.  Flair dropped the supposedly sacred belt spur-of-the-moment once or twice to local yokels in foreign countries to avoid riots.  He wasn't thinking of the sacrosanct lineage of Gotch and Hackenschmidt when dudes were throwing rocks at him and trying to jump the barricades.

Ah, the story of having to drop it to Victor Jovica and match second Piper getting paid with a spittoon of coke...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

And for all the talk about viewers getting burned out on the repetitiveness, I don't know how many people are actually watching RAW and saying "Fucking Kalisto-Del Rio AGAIN? You know, I don't give a shit anymore, I'm not watching next week." We all complain about it here, but we're still watching.

I wonder how much DVR has helped in regards to things like this. I don't know anyone that watches Raw live unless they're actually at the show. I wonder how many people would tune in every week if they couldn't reach for the x4 button for every Del Rio match, Sheamus match, McMahon promo, 3rd replay of the opening segment, etc. Not to mention commercials during every match.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I wonder how much DVR has helped in regards to things like this. I don't know anyone that watches Raw live unless they're actually at the show. I wonder how many people would tune in every week if they couldn't reach for the x4 button for every Del Rio match, Sheamus match, McMahon promo, 3rd replay of the opening segment, etc. Not to mention commercials during every match.

Judging by the number of people that tweet about Raw and post about Raw here immediately after it finishes, I would bet that a sizable contingent of Raw watchers still watch live. 

Jenji Kohan - who created Orange is the New Black & Weeds - is working on a new show for Netflix called GLOW.  And yes, it's about the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling.

http://www.diva-dirt.com/123432/orange-new-black-creator-working-womens-wrestling-series-netflix/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

I just watch the 90 minute truncated version on Hulu the next day

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Right but you can't say "WWE doesn't understand supply and demand" and then point to the 3 hour Raws as an example when, in that instance, it's being mandated by the network.  I mean, yes, they definitely don't understand supply and demand, but that example in particular is incorrect.  I'll give you house shows, though.  How can they be making their money back when playing to 1/4 full buildings?  Clearly demand to see WWE SUPERSTARS LIVE is waning.

It's kinda both.

Running 2 loops worked in the 80/90's because "Superstars" only wrestled each other maybe every other Syndicated show, possibly on Prime Time, and on SNME and PPV's, so it was a rarety and treat to see real matchups.  Also, during the time frame, everyone had defined roles, were over in one way or another up and down the card, and there were literally a stable of guys that could slot into any main event and be fine (Really, look at the Heenan Family in 89-91.  All of them were built up and talked up enough by the announcers that you could slot any in with Warrior, Hogan, however and everyone bought it).  With the 50/50 booking, and seemingly not caring about building anyone outside of the Main Event program, how the hell are you going to sell House Shows running matches you've already watched 10 times for free* Monday and Thursday Nights?

*outside of cable subs.

• Like 2

So...seriously, WWE...why would you not show this part of Smackdown?!  To me this is a better selling of the PPV than anything else they did this week, but they cut away before this part started?!

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

AJ Styles' hair, stature, and outfit - but ESPECIALLY his hair -  makes him look like a Lego minifig to me.

try unseeing that,

RAF

That's why he and Finn get along so well.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Jenji Kohan - who created Orange is the New Black & Weeds - is working on a new show for Netflix called GLOW.  And yes, it's about the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling.

http://www.diva-dirt.com/123432/orange-new-black-creator-working-womens-wrestling-series-netflix/

That should make Stone Cold happy.

a friend of mine has watched Raw live every Monday since 1993. he pretty much never watches SmackDown! and will catch the occasional PPV but isn't hooked on them. In the past couple of years, he starts watching Raw halfway thru (via DVR) and fast forwards so much he is caught up to realtime by the end. yet he still watches it every single week.

but he's got weird taste in wrestling. he's never seen an ECW match, hated WCW during the Nitro/Monday Night Wars era, but, for a time in 2005-2006, preferred TNA to WWE (but still never missed an ep).

5 minutes ago, twiztor said:

a friend of mine has watched Raw live every Monday since 1993. he pretty much never watches SmackDown! and will catch the occasional PPV but isn't hooked on them. In the past couple of years, he starts watching Raw halfway thru (via DVR) and fast forwards so much he is caught up to realtime by the end. yet he still watches it every single week.

but he's got weird taste in wrestling. he's never seen an ECW match, hated WCW during the Nitro/Monday Night Wars era, but, for a time in 2005-2006, preferred TNA to WWE (but still never missed an ep).

To his credit, 2005/06 might have been TNA at their "best"..  they were at least pushing AJ and Samoa Joe I think had his win streak going on. It was halfway decent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

To his credit, 2005/06 might have been TNA at their "best"..  they were at least pushing AJ and Samoa Joe I think had his win streak going on. It was halfway decent.

oh, that's definitely the truth. i just thought it was odd that the only thing he ever liked better than WWE was TNA, for however brief it was.

Add another chapter to the weird nexus of pro wrestling and the NHL playoffs (I mentioned in the ROH thread that they have been playing the theme song for Moose at St. Louis Blues games because their goalie is nicknamed 'Moose').  So the Pittsburgh Penguins have a line of Carl Hagelin/Nick Bonino/Phil Kessel that they've been calling the HBK line and word got back to Shawn Michaels about it, so he decided to tune into a game, liked it, then was invited to be a guest of the Penguins for Game 5 (They've also started selling HBK merchandise and named a sandwich at the arena after him) so tonight I had the absolutely surreal experience of turning on hockey on CBC and seeing Shawn Micheals cut an NHL-related promo ending with him saying "Hit my music" at which point there was a highlight reel of Hagelin, Bonino and Kessel while 'Sexy Boy' played.  Life is weird, sometimes.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, alstein said:

didn't he get a major knee injury that derailed his career shortly after?

Yep.  Beach Blast 1993, irrc.

He's also said he was burnt out during that time and wanted to get off the road.

• Like 1