DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

6 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

There is only a small percentage that truly had that "It".  Scott Hall is one of them.

Gonna disagree here. Hall was good and could be great when he was with the right people but Hall could never really stand on his own. 

19 hours ago, Ace said:

Especially since it wasn't even the first time doing that gimmick. Daniels did the same as Curry Man.

Kayfabe-wise, though, Curry Man was never portrayed as the same person as Daniels, whereas Odarg was openly Grado. Plus the Curry Man angle led to him getting the "Fired" briefcase the following year, and Daniels returning on the following Impact.

59 minutes ago, DTTW said:

Gonna disagree here. Hall was good and could be great when he was with the right people but Hall could never really stand on his own. 

I can see an arguement for and against, to me he is the total package who never quite got to the level he should have. Everyone from the 90s will tell you Hall is one of the smartest people in the biz though - from working TV matches to offering ideas to general presentation onscreen

• Like 1

• RIPPA locked this topic
  • RIPPA unlocked this topic
2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Damian Sandow will be at the MCW joint in June along with the Ghosts of Outsiders Past..

BLACK WALLSTREET~!  YES~!

What's with the one guy wearing a toque?  Do they need to turn down the AC in the boardroom a little?

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Damian Sandow will be at the MCW joint in June along with the Ghosts of Outsiders Past..

I'll surely be there.  I like MCW, but I love me some Jimmys Seafood (long before folks like JR became a fan)  And considering Hall/Nash will be there I'm more excited to see Sandow on the show.  You going to the show?

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Not for nothing, but I always thought they should have turned Cryme Time as Corporate Cryme Time with Dr. Shad Gaspard and JTG, Esq. 

Hell, the angle for them being taught that the place crime really pays was on Wall Street would've been incredibly simple to do. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NickMD said:

I'll surely be there.  I like MCW, but I love me some Jimmys Seafood (long before folks like JR became a fan)  And considering Hall/Nash will be there I'm more excited to see Sandow on the show.  You going to the show?

Joppa is not too far away from my crib so I will definitely make the effort unless something else comes up.  I know that my boo wants to visit her relatives in Providence, RI and Mount Vernon, NY this summer.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

What's with the one guy wearing a toque?  Do they need to turn down the AC in the boardroom a little?

Maryland winters are cold and my people are a tropical race.

I'm not being racist.  I am actually paraphrasing a line from Menace II Society.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Not for nothing, but I always thought they should have turned Cryme Time as Corporate Cryme Time with Dr. Shad Gaspard and JTG, Esq. 

Hell, the angle for them being taught that the place crime really pays was on Wall Street would've been incredibly simple to do. 

All the buys for Regal as Professor Henry Higgins and Cryme Tyme as Eliza Doolittle. 

3 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

I can see an arguement for and against, to me he is the total package who never quite got to the level he should have. Everyone from the 90s will tell you Hall is one of the smartest people in the biz though - from working TV matches to offering ideas to general presentation onscreen

He was always close but he never just broke out. He certainly was very wise to wrestling, but whatever he was missing was usually made up for by the guys he was with. Together him and Nash were magic, but apart, neither was as strong as the combined whole. I like Hall but he was just never going to be the guy for a lot of reasons. I think that was part of why he quit WWF too, something about Vince not offering more money because he wasn't going to get the chance to work with the big draws.

59 minutes ago, zev said:

Gran Naniwa passed away in 2010.

That hasn't stopped indies from booking Doink or the WWF from using Warrior even though he died in the 90s. I stand by my previous statement.

• Like 1

There were multiple Doinks years before one of them passed. Doinks on a Mission, Doinkwhackers, the two that made Crush look like a fool at that one Mania, etc. A new one being booked is just homage.

But there was only one Naniwa!