DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R1: DOLPH ZIGGLER vs. SAMI ZAYN

RIPPA

MM16: 1st RD - DOLPH ZIGGLER vs. SAMI ZAYN  

137 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

The only case I can make against Sami is that he wasn't around nearly as much as Dolph was considering the injury.  That said, he's had a great comeback so far and the recent match with Joe should pretty much seal his victory.  I want to like Dolph, he's seemed to at least give a shit.  But no way would I pick him.  That, and yes I'm definitely getting the easy matchup out of the way.

Fuck you, Rippa.  I am doing my best to hate Ziggler and you would have to pick the two matches where Ziggler seemed to actually care about pro wrestling.

The Sami / Cena match is fucking aces and Sami is fucking aces, but the Ziggler / Rusev and the Ziggler / Bryan matches are about a lot more than just Rusev and Bryan being awesome.

I'm voting for Zayn, but yeah, Dolph Michaels the Superkicking Heartbreak Overachiever is the best incarnation of Ziggler since he entered the fed.   I take off massive cool points for the 1980's jean vest ring attire.  Who the fuck listens to Winger anymore?

I think Dolph gets treated unfairly sometimes.  He's one of those guys who has been yo-yo'd so much he just doesn't know what to do.  I don't understand why anyone would vote for him in this match up though.

The kind of sad thing is that Dolph has actually had some pretty good performances and matches when nobody was paying attention. His Triple Threat with Ambrose and Breeze on Smackdown a few months ago was a really good triple threat with a lot of really clever spots, but nobody really remembers it.

Though, overall, the frustration outweighs the good stuff. Even out 8 months, Sami has enough here.

On the one hand, Zayn missed most of the year with an injury (but had a few good matches in the time period even with it.)

On the other, Dolph Ziggler managed to go beneath "negative Value Over Developmental",  beneath "negative Value Over Random Shindy Performer", and went to "Dolph Ziggler was more of a net negative to programming than if WWE just put some random fan in the crowd in the ring for each of these matches."

Zayn not only wins this, I would literally vote for any person in this thread posting for having a better year of professional wrestling than Dolph Ziggler did.

• Like 3

I can't wait for a solid chunk of the Sami voters to turn around and cry about quantity in other matchups.  I will be keeping track.

But yeah, Sami.  Although he is clearly NOT back just yet.  Dude has been underwhelming to me post-injury, but I understand that it takes time to round back into form.  In that sense it was really smart of NXT to pair him with Joe and

I think Ziggler wrestles the way he does at this point because he's "over it" as he says. There was a window for him to be a huge star and they dropped the ball. That's gone and it's never coming back so he's just in this mode where if you criticize him for something, he's going to do it twice as much just to amuse himself. In some ways, I can appreciate that but it doesn't make for the best matches.

It's a bad sign that he does a promo asking Miz what he's done in the last 5 years and I'm left asking myself, "What have you done?"

Ziggler's time was is long past me giving a shit about him, hell I'm almost offended he's in this.

Zayn gets my vote and that's taking into account he worked 3/4 less of the year than Ziggler did. Zayn's 10 most recent matches stand out more than a whole year of Ziggler's. That speaks volumes

James

• Like 1

I think there's actually something interesting to be said about the divergence of the wrestling tastes of Pete, TomK, the two Phils, and DEAN over the years, with Rippa in a more centrist position. 

I always wish I leaned a little more towards the DEAN side of things because there's such a pure enjoyment of wrestling there. 

The nice thing I will say about Dolph is that at least he's not Sheamus

Right, Sheamus actually got Roman Reigns over for at least a night.  Dolph actively destroyed one of the most over people on the roster.  And Rusev too!

• Like 1

I hate Zayn. Aware I'm the only one in existence.

I regularly enjoy Ziggler these days. Aware I'm one of a very very few.

He had no chance regardless but

Ziggler/Owens, 12/7/15 RAW is one of my favorite matches of his from the time.

Enjoyed the Ambrose tournament match 11/16/15 RAW

Remember liking one of the Sheamus PPV matches a lot, I think Payback.

Usually look forward to his longer matches on any given Raw.