DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

I screwed up and missed the Magicians pilot. Hopine it hits on demand like the Expanse did. Anyone have thoughts?

It was fine. I felt like the people cast outside of Quentin were a little too cool and slick and pretty. One of the things I liked about the books was how damaged and broken everyone was. The way they filmed the pilot made it seem like they are going to show Julia's story from Magician King as the B story in season one, which will be interesting. I don't know if it will have the weight given the inherent limitations of basic cable. My girlfriend felt as though all the female characters were just archetypes and not real people. I think the Expanse pilot was better.

Thanks. That's disappointing, but not entirely surprising.  As soon as they announced that everyone had been aged up from undergrads to grad school my spider sense went off, but I was still hopeful. Pushing Julia's story forward seems like a good idea as a counterpoint to the Brakebills experience, but the devaluing of female characters is really worrying. (I still haven't read the third book, for the record.)

Grossman read the first chapter at his Dragoncon 2013 appearance, after counting down the seconds until the book was officially late. It was a really cool start, but my reading time is maybe a quarter of what it was then and I've been prioritizing non-fiction and stuff for my book club.

Not gonna lie, that kind of got me.  

I'd still pay lots of money to see Raphael Bob Waksberg (creator of Bojack Horseman)'s version of a 'Fuller House' script.

It's funny because I was talking to Netflix about that. I actually said, "I think it would be fun if I guest-wrote an episode of ‘Fuller House.'" And they asked me, "What would your episode be about?" And I mean, the premise of the show is that DJ is a widow, and now she's raising these kids on her own with the help of Stephanie and Kimmy Gibler. I said, "That's really interesting, where when she was young, she had this traumatic event where her mother died and now, can you imagine that you finally get over it and you find a husband who will love you and support the kids, then he dies too? Can you imagine how traumatic that would be?"

So my episode was going to be all about her feeling like she couldn't tell her kids that she loved them because she was afraid that anyone she loved would die or get taken from her because she was cursed. And the guy I was talking to was like, "Yeah, I don't think they're going to make that episode." [laughs] And I was like, "No, no, no. It would still be like an episode of ‘Full House' — fun, full of jokes. And then like, Jesse would come up to her and say, ‘Deej, Deej, Deej, you don't have to worry about people dying because you love them — because we all die. Your kids are going to die whether you love them or not. You might as well love them.'" And that was going to be my heartwarming ending. They did not love that. But that was going to be my pitch for "Fuller House." If they're interested, I will still write that episode for them. [laughs]

http://www.indiewire.com/article/bojack-horseman-season-3-creator-on-cosby-top-10-list-nerves-and-rejected-fuller-house-pitch-20151211

Also, there's this

• Like 1

DVR'd both, going to start checking them out tonight.

Nobody is really talking about it around here but god damn, Homeland is amazing this season.  The only show whose episodes consistently end too soon and I yell "GOD DAMMIT" at the end credits.

Kind of like tonight's season finale. One hour really wasn't enough - SO MANY QUESTIONS.

• Like 1

Nobody is really talking about it around here but god damn, Homeland is amazing this season.  The only show whose episodes consistently end too soon and I yell "GOD DAMMIT" at the end credits.

Kind of like tonight's season finale. One hour really wasn't enough - SO MANY QUESTIONS.

"Saul Berenson Death Squad" has replaced "Nice Guy Todd and the Nazis" as my go-to band name.

So no way Quinn comes out of it, right?  This is not that kind of show.

The new Luther joint fucking rules.

I am slowly getting into The Expanse at the expense of Into The Badlands.  The novelty of awesome fights is wearing thing which is exposing the wafer thin storyline.

I watch Into the Badlands on demand and don't get too upset when I have fast forward on a bit too long and miss some of the exposition.

The whole story doesn't make any sense.  Sunny is the best warrior in the Badlands but wants to get away from the Baron.  The Baron is an opium addict with a tumor in his head (doctors can have x-rays and drill into heads but no one can figure out guns?) and his son is a pussy whipped wimp.  Why doesn't he just leave?

MK is supposed to be a big lynchpin, but he just comes off as totally unnecessary.  It doesn't help that his (and Tilda's) acting is atrocious.  They seem to be trying to pander to a YA audience at times which is really a detriment.

I'll finish the season but I'm not real excited about it.  I think the whole thing would have worked better as a stand alone film made over in Hong Kong so there could be a better cast.

I didn't get enough sleep last night because we started the International Assassin episode of Leftovers thinking we would just watch half and finish it today.

That didn't happen.

Best hour of TV this year.

And it absolutely should not work. But if does, in every way.

"Saul Berenson Death Squad" has replaced "Nice Guy Todd and the Nazis" as my go-to band name.

So no way Quinn comes out of it, right?  This is not that kind of show.

Hell no. And if he *does*, he's not going to be a featured character - they essentially said he's going to be a vegetable if he survives.

That felt a lot like a series finale, even though it got renewed for another season. Saul is miserable. Carrie is moving on and devastated. Quinn's done as a relevant character, if not as a living character. And that's really it for the core cast anymore - they've done a pretty good job cycling the peripherals out without uselessly killing them like 24 always did.

Great point.  Carrie turned down Saul's offer and they can't pull the whole "Carrie is a civilian and just gets caught up in some crazy international intrigue" plotline again.  There is During's rather clumsy proposal to consider...maybe she joins him as his "partner" and something happens from there but seriously, without Carrie as an actual member of the intelligence community, this wears rather thin as we're left to wonder how much misadventure happens to one person.

I'm watching through Deep Space Nine and just got to season 7.  What in the actual fuck is going on?  All of a sudden the war is pushed to the background so everyone can be friends with a holographic lounge singer?  And they spend a whole episode as the Bad News Bears?  Dukat is a space wizard now?  Fuck all of this.

• Like 1

Michelle Yeoh joins Season 2 of Netflix’s Marco Polo

The second season of the Netflix original series Marco Polo, created by John Fusco, has added actress Michelle Yeoh to its dynamic

image: http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png

cast. In the upcoming season, Michelle Yeoh’s character plays a mysterious figure from Hundred Eyes’ (Tom Wu) past.

“Michelle Yeoh is not only a screen legend and one of the greatest international action stars of all time, she’s one of the best actors of her generation. So we are thrilled to have her join one of the most diverse ensembles in television and bring her unique talents to Marco Polo.

Her role in the second season is one that’s going to add even more intrigue, mystery, and Asian martial arts to our rich story world,” said Fusco.

Internationally acclaimed actress and producer Michelle Yeoh has starred in more than thirty films including global hits James Bond’s Tomorrow Never Dies, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Memoirs of a Geisha, Sunshine, Mummy 3, Babylon AD, and the soul-stirring biopic The Lady, and will be next seen in the Netflix original film Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny.

The cast of Marco Polo season two includes Lorenzo Richelmy (Marco Polo), Benedict Wong (Kublai Khan), Joan Chen (Empress Chabi), Zhu Zhu (Kokachin), Tom Wu (Hundred Eyes), Olivia Cheng (Mei Lin), Claudia Kim (Khutulun), Rick Yune (Kaidu), Remy Hii (Prince Jingim), Mahesh Jadu (Ahmad) and Uli Latukefu (Byamba) among others.

John Fusco, who wrote the Academy-Award nominated feature Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, created the series and is executive producer and showrunner along with Dan Minahan, whose previous work includes “Homeland” and “Game of Thrones.” Patrick Macmanus, Harvey Weinstein, Bob Weinstein and Elizabeth Sarnoff also serve as executive producers on season two.

I'm in love with Bill Burr's "F Is For Family" cartoon on Netflix. It's the Seventies I remember.

I blew threw that series in like 2 days or so.  It's pretty funny, lots of good moments.  It's a little remiscient in part, of other series, but it's pretty good for a first season.  The best part, by far, is any time the father goes on a tirade.