DVDVR Message Board

November 2015 Wrestling Discussion

OSJ

I'm willing to bet that before they did that shoot interview, Billy and Road Dogg left Triple H a message and were like "listen, if you ever hear any of this it's all in character...we don't mean any of it"

It wouldn't surprise me if Triple H gave the okay for the VKM stuff too. It seems awfully weird that they'd patch things up so quickly.

Both of them were way off the wagon at that point. They cleaned up, kissed the ring/apologized to HHH, and he gave them jobs.

What a fantastic reaction. I know it's futile to complain, but that guy deserves such a better spot in than he has right now.

On a side note, it would be cool if they made TVs look more like house shows. Or maybe used that entrance set at PPVs to differentiate them from TVs

They really should use the raised platform aisle ala WCW at PPV. It makes everything look so big.

• Like 2

It looked like everyone that did it was a creepy CHUD. I have no idea how normal you are but I'm relatively so and would get a little weirded out.

Like it sounds awesome but the other people might ruin it.

I imagine nobody is allowed within 50 feet of Bayley or Alexa.

Based on the extremely uncomfortable pictures people take with Paige at conventions and the like, this is for the best.

The house show footage reminded me of one thing: the WWE needs to ditch the huge as fuck stage sets they now have. The smaller stages (plus the big crowds) makes the wrestlers look ten times bigger and accentuates their mannerisms and personalities by ten fold. 

They also need to dim the lights in the crowd and focus more on the ring like old school boxing matches.

• Like 4

Man, it's too bad Cesaro just doesn't connect with the crowd.

I bet when Vince watches Cesaro he thinks to himself, "If only you were Irish and didn't have that funny accent. Now, take Sheamus for example..."

Maybe Vince just doesn't like body hair. Cesaro is a pretty manly man. But Vince is like "See, how can I market a guy who doesn't even manscape...PLUS HE'S SWISS DAMN IT". I hope Triple H has told Cesaro just to bide his time and wait til the old man's gone.

And yes the house show set up would be great for shows. Less is always more.

The house show footage reminded me of one thing: the WWE needs to ditch the huge as fuck stage sets they now have. The smaller stages (plus the big crowds) makes the wrestlers look ten times bigger and accentuates their mannerisms and personalities by ten fold. 

They also need to dim the lights in the crowd and focus more on the ring like old school boxing matches.

GOD DAMMIT DUNN.....THAT LOOKS LIKE SOME BS WRASSLIN OUT THERE.  

He wasn't wrong.

I mean, mid-80's WWF did have an aesthetic that stands out from what any other wrestling company had ever done. It was more polished and such.

But Christ, that basic aesthetic hasn't been abandoned 30 years later, and the more specific current overall look has been locked in since, what, the move to HD?

And really, they've just been refining and touching up the look since the late 90's.

They are in desperate need of a complete shakeup, at least as big as the one from the New Generation to Attitude, if not even more wholesale.

I know they are trying to cut costs but most of the PPV sets are just RAW sets.  It sucks. Only WrestleMania looks cool.  I liked the Japan show and the MSG show.

The MSG and Japan shows were awesome presentations. That shade of blue they used on the graphics and lighting at the Garden was phenomenal. They should run every MSG show on the Network from now on and use that package. I absolutely loved it. Japan was cool because of the look of the building. I dont watch a lot of puro so that was really my first exposure to it. This is a strange comparison, but the way it was set up almost reminded me of a bigger version of ECW in the Elk's Lodge in Queens.

I will say this: I thought Mania's set kinda sucked this year, especially compared to that massive stage the year before in New Orleans. That stupid logo on the entrance didn't even match the logo for the show. It looked like a Pepsi ad or something.

Along the same lines, I also think the screen on the apron facing the hard camera is stupid and unnecessary.

I might have to make a separate thread for entrance ramps, sets, graphics, etc. because I could honestly go on all day about this

• Like 3

Bash at the Beach had the best sets. Halloween Havoc guy was also neat. The sets weren't so big so as to dwarf the rasslers either. I feel like that was something WCW from the mid-'90s on did significantly better than WWF.

• Like 1

Along the same lines, I also think the screen on the apron facing the hard camera is stupid and unnecessary.

The screen on the apron is dangerous. At at time when apron spots are something guys like to do, let's put something with a hard edge up against the one apron they're most likely to use it for. Triple H scraped himself to shit on the one at Mania, he was all red and burnt looking.

Also, if you're going to have a screen, might as well use it to display something other than a still image, eh? Although if you do, then the hard camera shit is going to be too busy and it could distract people from watching what's happening in the ring... so basically have someone throw someone else into it soon and pretend it's been blown up. That's all it's good for.

God there are so many things about WWE's setup and presentation that I just absolutely loathe.  I've hated those fucking barriers since the day they introduced them in 98.  I hate that the ring is so far from the front row.  This in addition to all the stuff you guys mentioned.  All of this just goes into making WWE feel even more stale and sterile.

I agree about the barriers. They use guardrails at house shows, no real reason for the difference. The ring-to-apron distance I sort of agree with, although considering the WWE security staff does about as good a job as the Secret Service, it may not be so bad at the moment.

I agree about the barriers. They use guardrails at house shows, no real reason for the difference. The ring-to-apron distance I sort of agree with, although considering the WWE security staff does about as good a job as the Secret Service, it may not be so bad at the moment.

How long has it been since those crowd issues? Couple months ago?

I also miss the old school sets which stand out compared to the generic one used at WWE TV and PPV's shows just with the graphics to that relevant show. It's only WrestleMania sets which feel different now though they can be hit/miss. I also miss MSG's old entrance way in the stands.

• Like 1