DVDVR Message Board

November 2015 Wrestling Discussion

OSJ

Given he's basically torpedoed PPV, the only TV delivery company Vince would give a crap about is Comcast cuz they own NBC but they're getting a pretty sweet deal for Raw and Smackdown, I don't imagine they're too bothered about the relatively insignificant PPV revenue stream drying up.

This is something else I don't think they understand, and its hard to believe they don't get it. There are still plenty of people in this country that can't get/have no interest in broadband services. I ain't saying nothing, but I am guessing many of these "rural" folks like them some wrasslin'. So if I got 20000 PPV buys at 50 bucks a pop, why would purposely shit on that money? I don't get it. 

Same.  WWE is actually making less money off of me since the Network launched.  I had the Network for awhile, but dropped it because they weren't adding the sort of content I'm interested in (territories, early RAW, etc.) and the time I spend watching ECW and such (which I would like to catch some day) is time I could be watching Georgia or JCP from my DVD collection.  I can afford to drop $50 on a PPV once in a while, but haven't because the commentary team has made it clear they consider people who buy PPV's through their cable company to be inbred simpletons who can't tie their shoes.

From what I remember, I believe WWE actually makes about the same or possibly more at $9.99 a month going directly in to their pockets without having to split with anybody than they did running PPV through cable companies. That $54.95 price was split up so many different ways to a number of different cable suppliers, that WWE actually saw very little of the money when all is said and done. It's kind of like how movie theatres make little to no money on ticket sales and all their profit is from concessions.

From what I remember, I believe WWE actually makes about the same or possibly more at $9.99 a month going directly in to their pockets without having to split with anybody than they did running PPV through cable companies. That $54.95 price was split up so many different ways to a number of different cable suppliers, that WWE actually saw very little of the money when all is said and done. It's kind of like how movie theatres make little to no money on ticket sales and all their profit is from concessions.

I am pretty sure I heard they used to get just under 50% of the PPV price. 

I have a WWE Network subscription but I don't use it as much as I should. I just like having it there in case I get bored and decide to watch a random PPV from the past, which happens. $9.99 is really not a lot of money. 

http://www.pewinternet.org/fact-sheets/broadband-technology-fact-sheet/

30% of Americans still don't have broadband though, that's where WWE is losing people. 15% of Americans apparently don't use the internet at all. 

I have a WWE Network subscription but I don't use it as much as I should. I just like having it there in case I get bored and decide to watch a random PPV from the past, which happens. $9.99 is really not a lot of money. 

30% of Americans still don't have broadband though, that's where WWE is losing people. 15% of Americans apparently don't use the internet at all. 

I'd guess that same 15% think the earth is flat and believe that the planet is run by reptilian aliens...the perfect audience for Vinnie Mac booking...

• Like 2

I'd guess that same 15% think the earth is flat and believe that the planet is run by reptilian aliens...the perfect audience for Vinnie Mac booking...

See? Shoulda signed Delirious.

• Like 2

That's a good point, but didn't most PPV providers drop WWE when they launched the Network? Your point about throwing away money applies to those companies as much if not more so.

Definitely and with the whole rural towns thing there are towns in CT that can't even get highspeed internet that is capable of running the network/Netflix etc.  Those people would still pay the fifty bucks for a PPV that interested them.  

My take on the Network/cable provider PPV thing is that not all people who are buying PPV's through Comcast or whoever are going to subscribe to the Network for one reason or another.  Given that, and given that cable providers are still offering and promoting WWE PPV's, I have no idea why you go out of your way to denigrate potential customers.  I get that the WWE probably makes at least as much from a network subscription as from a PPV buy, but PPV buys are still extra revenue and many of the people still buying PPV are aware of the Network and not intending to subscribe.

There's a reason chains like Barnes and Noble still operate brick-and-mortar retail locations.  Sure, if they closed their physical stores, they'd massively cut overhead and a lot of the customer base would become website customers, but many customers would choose not to order from the internet, shop Amazon instead, order from the website but spend less (no impulse buys), etc.  At the end of the day, they still have enough customers buying in-store to make it worthwhile even though they'd be more profitable if they could somehow get most of their store customers to spend the same amount on their website.  But that's not a realistic goal.

I wonder if the "insult people who still buy PPV's instead of subscribing" thing isn't part of Vince's "Fans like what we tell them they like" mentality.  If it is, that's a bizarre way to run a publicly traded company.

So many places this could go but since I want to ignore the RAW thread

WWE will be releasing a statement shortly regarding Monday night's show-closing angle involving Paige and Charlotte (Ashley Fliehr).

The gist of the statement will be that the idea of the angle came from Ashley Fliehr, that it was taken out of the show, she was insistent that it be put in, and it was.  However, the company did take responsibility for the angle since it was ultimately their decision to put it on the show.

The angle involved Paige referencing the death of Charlotte's brother Reid, who passed away from an overdose on March 29, 2013, and saying clearly Reid didn't have a lot of fight in him.  The angle has been the most-talked about story in pro-wrestling since it happened, virtually universally negative towards the company.  It was done to set up a Divas Title match on Sunday between champion Charlotte and challenge Paige at the Survivor Series PPV.

Neither Ric Flair nor Ashley's mother Elizabeth were alerted in advance about the angle.  Elizabeth was furious and posted publicly on Twitter.  Ric Flair on his Woo Nation podcast noted he was very upset when watching it, and indicated that Ashley didn't have the tenure to say no to any angles or storylines presented to her.  Flair's co-host Conrad stated publicly that the rumors it was Ashley's idea were 100% false.  

We will update this story with the statement as soon as it was released.

Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez discuss the angle and fallout in detail on last night's Wrestling Observer Radio.

I just watched (from Feb 2014) vicious heel Corey Graves' NXT return, as he tried to get revenge on the man who concussed him and ruined his life (Adrian Neville), and hopefully injure him to prevent him from making it to his big NXT title shot in two weeks. He opened the bout with a hate-fuelled 'duck between the ropes to prevent a collar and elbow tie up'.