DVDVR Message Board

November 2015 Wrestling Discussion

OSJ

Pish posh. I'll take a fiery Cena promo about how the WWE refuses to be terrorized by ISIS! We stand defiant! Never give up! Vive la France! USA! USA!

At last Saturday's Reality of Wrestling show, Jasper Davis (who I believe is an Army vet) basically did this before his match. It was really awkward, because it kind of sounded like he wanted everyone in the building to help him track down ISIS so he could defeat them personally. He then proceeded to lose his match.

This made me LOL.

What are some examples of Southern territories having heels use family deaths for heat?  Cause when WWE does something tasteless like the Charlotte/Paige thing someone will defend it as good ol' fashioned Southern rasslin' booking but that seems to be more of a stereotype rather than reality.

This is really the only angle I can think of:

I'm sure that was really offensive then but it's not really cheap other than they did it to push Mike Graham.

There would've been plenty of opportunity to do it in a place like World Class but I can't recall any.  The closest thing I can think of in Memphis would be Jimmy Hart blaming Lawler for Kaufman's death or Eddie Gilbert bringing in his own Sam Bass but I wouldn't equate those as being anywhere near the same level of tasteless as what WWE's done.

The only other examples I can think of come from ECW (Justin Credible/Tommy Dreamer) or WWE (Orton/Eddie Guerrero, Cole/Lawler's mother, Punk/Lawler, Punk/Paul Bearer).  So death exploitation seems to be a hack Northern wrestling trope rather than a Southern trope.

Although if I can be serious for a minute™, it has never been the m.o. of any of these terror cells to hit anything that was braced for it to happen. They have always benefitted from the element of surprise.

Yeah, even if the potential target list is legit, I imagine the increased security will dissuade them.

Firstly, I hope everybody is safe at Survivor Series, tomorrow. A threat against thousands of people should not be taken lightly. 

On a slightly silly note, if Vince struts down to the ring and cuts a promo on ISIS, saying "the US government couldn't take me down! Ted Turner couldn't couldn't take me down! And ISIS, you sure as HELL aren't gonna take me down!", I'll mark out like a little bitch. 

• Like 2

If WWE did do something to play up the threat, real or imagined, what would the reaction be? Indifference, anger, rage?

If they did, a lot of people would have a problem with it, others would have a problem with people having a problem with it, otherse would have a problem with not enough people having a problem with it, while still others would have a problem with people having a problem with it, but for the wrong reasons.

• Like 2