DVDVR Message Board

Rest in Peace to the legend, Dusty Rhodes

I have a cute fan mistake story for you about Dusty Rhodes: When I first heard of Dusty Rhodes back in the mid-late 70's I thought he was the MLB Baseball Player that played for the Giants in the 50's until around early 1990's on PWI I found out his real name

I didn't think a wrestling death would affect me like this. I don't get emotional over, well, anything, really, but Dusty's death has made me legitimately sad.

It's little things, too. Like, I was just reading about how people drop Dusty lines in conversation, and I was thinking about how I did the same thing at work yesterday, just a little 'if you wiiiiiilllll'...

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND4zLt5YctI

Beautiful and overlooked promo of his, RIP Dream.

The part at the end where his voice cracks as he says all he needs is a kiss and a hug. Damn, gets me every time.

So, what was officially Dusty's last match? Did he wrestle in his own fed? Was it the WCW match with his son? Was it the match with Corino (Which I love!)?

ALL THE FEELS!

Dusty, it is worth noting, has always resembled a bleached blonde version of my dad, so this one was particularly feelsey.

Dusty Rhodes worries about the Mafia and how it affects things...

James

Dusty's commentary often reminded me of a drunk redneck watching a PPV and making fun of his nerdy friend for knowing too much about what's going on. 

This exchange is exhibit A and it was great.

They had a report about Big Dust on our local all-news radio station here. They had some clips of some promo he did. It absolutely befuddled my wife who has no idea who Dusty Rhodes is and hates wrestling. I tried to explain what his death meant to wrestling fans. I said it was probably like when Michael Jackson died to normal people or if George "RR" Martin passes away for fantasy fans (she likes all that stuff).

They had a report about Big Dust on our local all-news radio station here. They had some clips of some promo he did. It absolutely befuddled my wife who has no idea who Dusty Rhodes is and hates wrestling. I tried to explain what his death meant to wrestling fans. I said it was probably like when Michael Jackson died to normal people or if George "RR" Martin passes away for fantasy fans (she likes all that stuff).

I wonder if they would discuss it on WIP or the other station. Jody Mac is on the other station now, right? IIRC, he did an overnight show with wrestling talk either on WIP or WFAN in the 90s.

Dusty is one of the guys that made me want to be a professional wrestler. One of, if not the, best talker the business has ever seen. His ability to connect with a crowd will never be recreated. I cannot stop thinking about the promo where he talks about reserving the stratosphere, as well as so many other lines he put down during his career. Legit crushed about this. I just hope he's getting a chance to wine and dine with all those kings and queens one more time.

RIP Dream

With all the "Hard Times" mentions, honestly, I think the greatest Dusty Rhodes moment ever was on one of those Legends of Wrestling roundtables with Dusty as a panelist, and the conversation was about Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant, and Jim Ross asked Dusty:

JR:  Who was the bigger icon in professional wrestling: Hulk Hogan or Andre the Giant?

Dusty:  (pauses)  "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes

And he said that shit without a HINT of irony.  He truly believed he WAS THE man.  And while no one on that panel believed that, god damn, I bet for a split second they did. 

• Like 2

I wonder if they would discuss it on WIP or the other station. Jody Mac is on the other station now, right? IIRC, he did an overnight show with wrestling talk either on WIP or WFAN in the 90s.

Eskin's kid does a lot of wrestling talk. I'm not sure if he's still on WIP, if so, he may do something.

I forgot about this, but I've gotten in the habit of calling my dachshund "Big Bubber".

Big Bubber no-selling a chair and then straightening his hat before going off to kill him a son of a plumber is pro wrestling.

• Like 2

Found out about Dusty Rhodes passing this morning through BBC text. I can’t remember the last time the BBC did that for a wrestler. American Dream is on repeat in my head. R.I.P. Dusty Rhodes and thoughts go out to his family/friends.

This filled me with melancholy.

My dad and I talked about Dusty Rhodes for a while. He was my father's all-time favorite and hero.

Dusty is my objective pick for all-time best talker without a doubt (and is a very underrated in-ring worker in SOME circles).

• Like 1

Man, two of Dusty's best promos are not on the internets.

1. Calling out Sonny King and Eric the Red in CWF after they interfered in his title match with Harley Race.

2. The TERRY FUNK, YOU YELLOW EGG SUCKING DOG~! promo when Dory and Terry invaded CWF.

I haven't really got much to add to everyone else's comments. This reflects my views on Dusty perfectly

There are a lot of wrestlers who were better in the ring, some you may argue were better promos, but no one could connect with the crowd like "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes.

My first exposure to him was SummerSlam 89 and his electrifying persona and theme tune (when that cowbell kicks in <3) made him someone I stood up to take notice of. My other early memory is the match with Dustin against Dibiase and I of course then followed Dustin's career to WCW.

It was only really in getting online that I discovered what a legend the guy was and via the wonders of youtube and WWE's dvd sets I've been able to explore his career in more depth and see how much of a trailblazer he was. You had those naysayers who said he kept himself at the top and derided the 'dusty finish' but that's just a spec in an illustrious career IMO. I only wish I could've seen more of his Texas Outlaw stuff in AWA

I'm thankful I got to see Dusty do his thing live and in public if you weeeel.  I got to see him almost in his prime, working the Baltimore Civic Center in the mid 80s,some spot shows, Bashes and Bunkhouse Stampedes.  The guy had so much charisma it was unreal.  Rest in peace, Dream.  You and your friends taught young me that there was more to wrestling than the WWF.