DVDVR Message Board

NXT UNSTOPPABLE

RIPPA

+1 for Enzo & Big Cass. Everything about their presentation has become so polished. I also really liked the image on the screen making it look like they were on the Brooklyn Bridge during their entrance. Cool touch. Blake & Murphy do nothing for me. They remind me of Lenny Lane and Lodi. Owens/Zayn was really fun, for being a hate-filled match during which one guy really couldn't bump. Samoa Joe!!!

Looking back, I'm really disappointed that Enzo & Cass didn't get turned on by Carmella last night. I think their act would work so much better without her.

I'm sure there were plenty of other people(with me possibly being one of them) that got turned on by Carmella last night to make up for it.

• Like 8

Has WWE ever done a 60 minute Ironman match with the divas? Because I would pay good money for one to occur between Lynch and Banks

As much as I want to see that the last time Knox was booked for a 60 minute Ironwoman she got hurt before the match and was out of wrestling for several years.

I didn't even know about this and just looked it up.  Holy shit.  What's the story behind her comeback?  Wikipedia doesn't go into that.  Did she just wake up one day like, "eh, my brain's fine.  Back to wrestling."

Jim Cornette thought Matt Morgan would be a 'Mania main eventer and saw no money at all in Steen and Generico.  Out of touch fucking hick.  More people need to shit on him for that like we shit on Bischoff for seeing nothing in Steve Austin.

I think it's true that he didn't see anything in Generico but I mean the gimmick is stupid. He could have never been taken seriously under that gimmick in WWE.

Steen still got a big push in ROH and Cornette even worked to put him over onscreen. He offered to give the guy paid time off to lose weight so he could come back and get his big bush and Steen had a shit fit, didn't take the time off or lose the weight and still got the push.

Matt Morgan sucked and had like no intensity in the ring. That move where he'd trap a guy in the corner and then hit him with those elbows was like the worst signature move in wrestling while he was regularly doing it. I'm not sure if even ONE of those elbows ever looked liked it could inflict damage on anyone.

Looking back, I'm really disappointed that Enzo & Cass didn't get turned on by Carmella last night. I think their act would work so much better without her.

Same. I think that was a case of HHH falling into the old Vince trap of "they expect it so let's do something else!" when the first idea made much more sense. Plus Enzo and Cass really don't need Carmella at all - they have their rap down and she's just like a third wheel. Meanwhile Blake and Murphy are boring as shit - they are EXACTLY the types who need a Carmella to bring some missing charisma to their act. Like they're a couple of Lance Storms and Carmella could totally be their Dawn Marie.

Some thoughts after watching more;

Agreed on the nXt crowd being unbearable.

Banks/Lynch was great, just a hard hitting war! Banks has IT! Dont know a whole pile about the storylines behind some of the matches but Lynch came out of that match looking like a million bucks.

Zayn/Owens was building up great,i am CONVINCED that if Sami was healthy and that match got another 10/15 minutes we'd be here discussing the match of the year.

Owens headbutting Regal was sick! Owens is the best heel in the company right now, Rollins cant touch him.

The potential match ups between the guys down in nXt is frightening, and thats not even going near the potential matches when some/all of them make main roster.

HHH deserves major credit, the future is bright and its in great hands.

Sidenote; im more of a lurker here and i know hes back with a while but its cool to see The Natural back on here. Love your posts buddy.

• Like 2

Jim Cornette thought Matt Morgan would be a 'Mania main eventer and saw no money at all in Steen and Generico.  Out of touch fucking hick.  More people need to shit on him for that like we shit on Bischoff for seeing nothing in Steve Austin.

I think it's true that he didn't see anything in Generico but I mean the gimmick is stupid. He could have never been taken seriously under that gimmick in WWE.

Steen still got a big push in ROH and Cornette even worked to put him over onscreen. He offered to give the guy paid time off to lose weight so he could come back and get his big bush and Steen had a shit fit, didn't take the time off or lose the weight and still got the push.

Matt Morgan sucked and had like no intensity in the ring. That move where he'd trap a guy in the corner and then hit him with those elbows was like the worst signature move in wrestling while he was regularly doing it. I'm not sure if even ONE of those elbows ever looked liked it could inflict damage on anyone.

To be fair, Matt Morgan was a legit big guy who moved really well and could talk. I think anybody in developmental would have seen $$ when looking at him. The problem was he never really developed from where he started.

• Like 1

I have been burnt out on WWE for awhile now.  I've never seen a second of NXT until this show.  Just happened to look in this thread and gave the show a chance.  This was absolutely the show I've been looking for!

Everything I wanted to say just about has been covered, but I do want to add one more thing about the women's match.  How are these two women not on the main roster fighting for the Women's Championship on PPV?  I've never popped that hard for a women's match.  You have two fantastic wrestlers, not women's wrestlers, not divas, wrestlers, and instead you give the people the Bellas every week?  C'mon SON!

• Like 1

Nikki's pretty good though. I actually think there are main roster women that are solid in the ring (Nikki, Paige, Naomi) that just don't get much character development or time to have good matches. It also helps the women in NXT that they have Drake Younger and Sara Del Ray helping them put this stuff together (IIRC, Del Ray also does agent work with the women). 

It would also take some conditioning of the people who come to live WWE RAW and Smackdown as they are trained to think "bathroom break that we shouldn't take seriously." Say what you will about the flaws of the Full Sail crowd, but they are much more open to treating the women as worth equal time and focus, and I'm not sure whether Banks/Lynch gets the reaction it does unless the crowd comes in willing to accept that women can put on four-snowflake-plus matches in the first place. 

Del Rey is transitioning to being a main roster agent and I think a lot of the current Divas will be motivated by NXT call ups when they happen. It's not going to be overnight, but even with Vince's resistance women's wrestling is on the cusp of being a much bigger deal in WWE. I think they'll reach a point where there's a Total Divas program and a more competitive work-based program being done on the same show.

They have a 3 hour show on monday's and a 2 hour one on thursday's. The fact they can't do the diva's fluff and have women's wrestlers like Sasha and Becky is mind numbing. They can have both if they want. Man that Becky/Sasha match was amazing. Easily going to be in my top 3 of the year. Sasha might have a legit case for wrestler of the year. Not female wrestler...but wrestler period. Everything about her character is perfect.

Also, am I the only one who feels eventually we'll see Charlotte turn on Bayley like Ric would Sting. That would probably be the last straw for Bayley before she goes crazy but I just can't see Charlotte remaining a happy go lucky face. That match was fun, but Dana Brooke is no where near ready for television. I get they love her look and her being a fitness/body builder type means they have to fast track her but she is just so awkward in the ring. She might be better suited as someone's muscle than a regular competitor.

I love how Owens/Zayn has ended in two TKO's. The TKO/Ref stoppage finish has been so great for Owens. He plays such a great sociopath in the ring. Just having no moral concern for his opponent. I wish they would build up him/Cena more cause they should have Cena afraid of a guy like Owens. It's PG, but Owens stops short of saying he'll kill a guy in the ring if he has to.

And Samoa Joe showing up. In 5 minutes the WWE did more with him then TNA did in 10 years. That's all that needs to be said.

On women's wrestling:

One of the things making the rounds today is that HHH/Steph want women's wrestling to be as presented last night but Vince wants different for Raw. I think Vince is right for most of the current women on the Raw/Smackdown roster. The best of the lot are Paige and Alicia Fox. Other have some level of skill -- Layla and Summer Rae come to mind.

Nikki Bella has stepped up the past year. And Naomi has become alright. But they were so bad for so long.

It's not really their fault. They signed with the company before they took development -- especially women's wrestling -- seriously.They were fitness models or whatever someone saw somewhere and signed up. A lot of the women clearly didn't take it seriously until recently and they weren't expected to.. Whatever caused it --Total Divas giving them more screen time, some backstage stuff, etc. -- is fine. But these divas were so bad for so long that it's just ingrained in the audience they're a waste of time. They're just there for relationship angles or dumb segments. That's what they're capable of, essentially.

I know that sounds sorta awful. I really want to see women portrayed better in wrestling (and all forms of media). But why would you #GiveDivasAChance if they can't put together a decent match or deliver lines? They need to give the right divas a chance.

• Like 1

And Samoa Joe showing up. In 5 minutes the WWE did more with him then TNA did in 10 years. That's all that needs to be said.

This is big time hyperbole. He had a great run right up to the point where he met Kurt Angle.

• Like 1

Sasha will tell you in a heartbeat that Eddie Guerrero is he favorite wrestler, she-says she is influenced by guys like he and Dean Malenko. She says she wasnt even big on the Divas growing up except for Molly and Jazz so she seems like she loved the workrate type of guys, That match last night i thought she showed alot of Regal influence based on alot of subtle things she did when  working the arm like stepping on Becky hand while pandering to the crowd. She definately stepped it up in the past year and a half but its not like they where developing her from scratch from an inring stand-point because she spend about 2 and years on the indy scene in the New England area. She is a student of the game and i dont think she wants to be the prototypical WWE Diva in-ring wise. She would like to work those Eddie vs Mysterio style matches or Regal vs Benoit style matches. She's got a heck of a personality but she is a stickler for work rate. I hope NXT get more worker like Becky with the experience she has because Sasha will only get better.

I just want them to bring Charlotte, Sasha, Emma, and Becky up as the Four Horsewomen, and Bayley up as their Sting. Put it on Smackdown where most of the stuff they do is just rehashed shit that doesn't matter anyway!

• Like 1

This is big time hyperbole. He had a great run right up to the point where he met Kurt Angle.

Yeah, one of the things TNA did right was the booking of Joe through about the second Angle match. They made him a fucking monster.

On women's wrestling:

One of the things making the rounds today is that HHH/Steph want women's wrestling to be as presented last night but Vince wants different for Raw. I think Vince is right for most of the current women on the Raw/Smackdown roster. The best of the lot are Paige and Alicia Fox. Other have some level of skill -- Layla and Summer Rae come to mind.

Nikki Bella has stepped up the past year. And Naomi has become alright. But they were so bad for so long.

It's not really their fault. They signed with the company before they took development -- especially women's wrestling -- seriously.They were fitness models or whatever someone saw somewhere and signed up. A lot of the women clearly didn't take it seriously until recently and they weren't expected to.. Whatever caused it --Total Divas giving them more screen time, some backstage stuff, etc. -- is fine. But these divas were so bad for so long that it's just ingrained in the audience they're a waste of time. They're just there for relationship angles or dumb segments. That's what they're capable of, essentially.

Paige is overrated. She isn't really any better than the other decent divas ring wise. She can do good character work, but everything is so uneven on the main roster due to how they book the women there that it doesn't even come out half the time. Alica Fox is one of the fitness model types pulled from a random magazine. Summer is probably in the bottom five divas on the main roster.

As far as why they aren't good, It really is due to the mindset used for the main roster women. I don't think its a lack of takign things seriously for most of them so much as they didn't have decent trainers, weren't booked seriously, and WWE limited them quite a bit on what they could even attempt. Eva Marie has been around for two years and only just now has been allowed to seriously train. When Kendrick was asking how she was they told him flat out they have no idea because they hadn't seriously trained her yet.

As a Canadian Beardo, I'm glad to see our kind represented in such a high profile match. That being said, Sasha and Becky put on a match so good it would've been almost impossible to follow it. I look forward to Zayn/Owens 3 and Banks/Lynch infinity until the end of time.