DVDVR Message Board

NXT UNSTOPPABLE

RIPPA

I think Balor's biggest problem is that he's seemingly been forced to abandon a good 75% of his moveset. He's still excellent and my favorite guy in NXT but I miss seeing him do all my favorite spots.

He hasn't actually dropped anything except the Bloody Sunday.

• Like 1

Just finished Unstoppable. All I have to say is wow...Becky/Sasha just took a spot in my top five pretty easily. Hell, if I rewatch it may just take the top spot. Such a great match. Matches filled with the little things that build to the bigger things are always some of my favorite types of matches. The whole dueling armwork aspect made it soooo friggin great.

I love how every offensive move that Enzo has is throwing himself at his opponent in some way. He did nail a swank dropkick, though.

Zayn/Owens was awesome from the video package to the very end. Zayn is really good at playing fired up babyface, and Owens is the biggest bastard in wrestling. It does really feel like they are saving the rest of the feud for the main roster, though.

Ok, count me in on the "show me more, Balor" band wagon. I think he's got a great look and seems to be a truly talented guy with some natural charisma but at this point, once his entrance is done, he's going through the motions. Yes, he needs to build a totally different person to use when he's the demon. Right now, as mentioned above, he's Jeff Hardy 2K15.

Sasha vs Becky reminded me of Regals matches with Ambrose and Ohno as far as get the most out of everything and little things like stepping on the hand and such. I just see Regal taking a liking to both these girls and them picking his brain because i see his DNA in there work.

Sasha mentioned ealier that day that she was watching Eddie Guerrero matches to get pumped for her match so i could see her just brainstorming ideas of what she wanted to do in the match. She is a student of the game.

If he is able to establish an in-ring difference between normal Finn and Demon Finn the dude will make all the money.  Not there yet, though.

If he can't do it on his own they need to give him DARK POWERS or a fireball or some shit!

If he does that, he needs to be Demon Finn all the time. Doing both is dumb in a WWE context, IMO.

Btw, as I mentioned in the gif thread, I love that pump handle German suplex that Becky uses. Sorry, just had to be said. I mark out for it every time she uses it.

I don't think it's really fair to complain about Balor right now. It is very obvious that NXT shows are structured to build to the main events, and he hasn't had his big match yet. Look at the difference in Becky's moveset in this match compared to what she has done previously in NXT, and how limited the women's tag was compared to what the same girls have done previously.

If he is able to establish an in-ring difference between normal Finn and Demon Finn the dude will make all the money.  Not there yet, though.

If he can't do it on his own they need to give him DARK POWERS or a fireball or some shit!

If he does that, he needs to be Demon Finn all the time. Doing both is dumb in a WWE context, IMO.

If/when he goes to the main roster, I'm 100% sure that's what happens, wearing the paint all the time, that is.  The company is not known for subtlety or restraint.  If done right, I love the Muta/Mutoh potential of the character, but I know better.

Balor is going to be doing variations of his paint every week on Raw for the sake of action figures. I'm curious where "achieving your dream but having to cosplay every single week as Carnage" falls on the list of Faustian bargains.

• Like 1

Balor is going to be doing variations of his paint every week on Raw for the sake of action figures. I'm curious where "achieving your dream but having to cosplay every single week as Carnage" falls on the list of Faustian bargains.

I think 5 years ago there is no doubt that would happen. I feel like WWE is a bit more restrained now, case in point being less "specialty matches". It seems like they've been on a gradual dial back for quite a while now, and been better about making things that are supposed to be "special" actually feel that way. Now that I say that Balor will show up in Doink makeup in two weeks, but I hope I'm wrong about that.

I know I'm a little late, but I just watched Becky vs Sasha last night, and ye Gods, what a fantastic match. If Meltzer doesn't give it 5 stars then he can fuck right off, because if it was two Japanese dudes having the exact same match he would have ruined a pair of pants watching it. MOTYC, without a doubt, and easily the best NXT match I've seen.

• Like 2

I know I'm a little late, but I just watched Becky vs Sasha last night, and ye Gods, what a fantastic match. If Meltzer doesn't give it 5 stars then he can fuck right off, because if it was two Japanese dudes having the exact same match he would have ruined a pair of pants watching it. MOTYC, without a doubt, and easily the best NXT match I've seen.

Judging by his reaction on the podcast I'm going to guess 4 and a quarter stars. I would say it's a bit unfair to accuse him of gender bias. He has always been a big fan of Joshi. Bias towards Japanese matches is a different matter...

As a long time fan of women's wrestling I'd say it was the best non Japanese women's match I have ever seen. I have had Del Ray vs Kana in Chikara, some of the early Shimmer matches and a couple of NXT matches get up towards 4 stars. I had this one at 4 and a half. Just an incredible match.

I don't think it's really fair to complain about Balor right now. It is very obvious that NXT shows are structured to build to the main events, and he hasn't had his big match yet. Look at the difference in Becky's moveset in this match compared to what she has done previously in NXT, and how limited the women's tag was compared to what the same girls have done previously.

Balor worked a 30+ minute match with Owens, and wrestled a match that featured every move under the sun against Neville. The fact he can't make a match interesting without using a bunch of movez and kickouts is pretty telling. Itami has been better since day one in NXT imo.

Balor worked a 30+ minute match with Owens, and wrestled a match that featured every move under the sun against Neville. The fact he can't make a match interesting without using a bunch of movez and kickouts is pretty telling. Itami has been better since day one in NXT imo.

• Like 2

I'm still "eh" on Finn. I really love calling him the Coldplay of wrestling. He's toned down his entrance a bit without the demon facepaint, which makes him more tolerable. But "I'm no longer crawling on the floor like I'm the lead singer of a 90s industrial metal band" isn't that much of an improvement. It feels like I'm supposed to think he's awesome and love him because he has this background as opposed to being given anything to actually think he's awesome as opposed to his finisher, which really doesn't do anything for me.

I get Tyler Breeze. I know who he is and what motivates him. A cheapshot pretty boy male model is a ridiculous character I love. Sami Zayn is a great guy who likes ska music and never gives up. It's a "real" character and I can root for him. Kevin Owens is a fully-formed sociopath and I can hate him. Itami's a hard-headed wrestler willing to run through fire (or The Ascension) to do battle AND a fantastic family man to boot, as we learned at WrestleMania.

Who is Finn other than some dude who squats at ringside and wears elaborate makeup before his big matches? I guess he's a "soft-spoken Irishman" but that's really bland if that's all you're giving me, especially compared to his peers.

• Like 1

Finn is the wrestling version of Jason Blood/Etrigan. A soft-spoken, reflective man who wages an internal battle against the demon within him to which he is bound. He's a pretty neat character.

Then he should speak in rhyming couplets.

Finn is the wrestling version of Jason Blood/Etrigan. A soft-spoken, reflective man who wages an internal battle against the demon within him to which he is bound. He's a pretty neat character.

That would be a neat character if it actually was the one he is playing. But it would require more effort to portray than what he's doing now, which is just dressing like one of those assholes who's constantly clogging the aisles at comic conventions by stopping in the middle of foot traffic to pose for pictures.

• Like 6

Finn coping with internal demons that manifest themselves via his facepaint would be absolutely awesome and an A+ gimmick. I know I posted this before, but there is SO MUCH you could do with that.

1) Bray trying to sway him to bring the demon out in an attempt to control it for his own means (and then failing, resulting in a feud).

2) One of the women on the roster falls for Finn and hates seeing The Demon release. He tries to keep it within but then some heel does something dastardly to her. He can no longer control it and releases The Demon in order to get revenge on her behalf but ruining the relationship in the process.

3) I would debut him as regular Finn and he somehow gets in the path of Kane. The Devil's Favorite Demon then accidentally unleashes The New Demon and the WWE is never the same gain.

Right now, all we have is some dude with some nice moves and is a bland promo who will probably win an IC/US Title along the way and longtime fans of his will state repeatedly as to how he is being used wrong.

• Like 4