DVDVR Message Board

NXT UNSTOPPABLE

RIPPA

So, I just watched Samoa Joe run in after a title match between Steen and Generico with authority figure William Regal present, the whole thing is booked by HHH...AND I'M NOT EVEN SURE IT WAS THE BEST PART OF THE SHOW.

Never change, NXT.

• Like 7

Joe looks amazing. He looks to have lost 30-35 pounds since his ROH match with Kyle O'Reilly just SIX weeks ago. I also can't believe they are letting him use his name. I'm curious if he signed over the rights to it like they've asked others (New Jack comes to mind) to do.

Becky did okay selling the arm once she got going. By the end of the match, I was perfectly happy with the selling. That was the match she needed.

I though tit was a bit of a weak spot, but if my memory is correct most of what got worked over was the left, so she could keep throwing strikes with the right. 

But seriously, maybe people will look at this match and go "Oh, you know, old school mat work and chain wrestling can still be used really really fucking effectively, maybe we should do that more". A man can hope at least.

• Like 1

At this point, NXT is pretty much the best-case-scenario version of ROH. Just go back a few years and imagine that ROH's national TV deal and iPPV plan had been a raging success, they upped their production values tenfold, and by 2015 were running with a roster featuring Samoa Joe, Prince Devitt, KENTA, Kevin Steen, and El Generico on top.

Will post more tomorrow but it's blowing my mind reading this. It's really stating to sink in now. Instead of fanboying right now like i wanna do I'm just going to sleep as a VERY happy man. And don't forget Del Ray as one of the main trainers.

And fuck, if you want toss in guys like Claudio, Pac and Danielson (if he's ever wrestling again) and holy fucking shit this is amazing.

The show was all around great and there was nothing to really dislike (Corbin is green, but has good energy). Owens/Zayn was GREAT for what little we got, and Joe's debut was STUNNING. A legitimate NO WAY moment for me.

Sasha Banks/Becky Lynch was the best thing, though. I think it just topped Roman/Brock as my MOTY. Utterly amazing, the best women's match I've ever seen WWE run. I'm very happy seeing all of the "Sasha is the best wrestler in the world" comments. May the ladies finally get their chance to shine.

With this level of quality, I'm eager to see the next NXT Takeover.

I feel like Owens is something like Frank Underwood. He's used to getting what he wants with little resistance, but at this point, he's probably already bitten off more than he can chew between Zayn, Joe, Cena, and Regal. The eventual downfall of Kevin Owens is going to be pretty compelling television. 

Do you remember when someone said Kevin Owens was a bad promo? Yeah, he's not.

I'm so ready for this feud.

The idea of a fatal four-way between Kevin Owens, Finn Balor, Sami Zayn and Samoa Joe... Hell, even a triple threat if Zayn is out/gets promoted... my pants can't get much tighter.

• Like 3

Show thoughts:

Breeze's entrance was awesome. Then somehow Balor topped it with his entrance. Good match, nothing spectacular though.

Divas tag would have been better with someone else in Dana's spot. She's athletic, but she definitely needs more fine tuning.

Rhyno/Corbin was alright. Not a big Corbin fan.

Tag titles - liked Enzo's selling. Didn't like the Alexa Bliss turn. Felt like they turned her because everyone assumed Carmella was going to turn against Enzo and Cass.

Becky/Sasha was awesome. Flat out awesome. So awesome that I don't even want to mention that Becky's shorts looked like an ill-fitting adult diaper. :)

But seriously, they beat the hell out of each other. Sasha doing a one armed suicide dive was nuts. Easily Becky's best outing in NXT.

Zayn/Owens was pretty good, and then Samoa Joe shows up for the finish. Probably for the best that the match ended with the angle it did, because I am not sure they could have topped the ladies match before them.

I know people thought the dancing gimmick was funny but Emma has so much more potential. Hopefully she's going to get her chance now and it's not too late in the eyes of the main WWE crowd.

The brightside is the main WWE crowd in a few months will forget she was every paired with Santino thus giving her new life.

Told all y'all motherfuckers that Rebecca Knox was gonna be fuckin' awesome.  Just didn't think it'd be this way. 

Fucking awesome show.  NXT just did more to make Joe a star in the span of two minutes than TNA did in the last five years.

• Like 2

Sasha/Becky was just brilliant. Was looking forward to that since it was announced and it more than delivered. Might be my match of the year. Two of the best anywhere. Sasha is the showstealer every time and I'm happy to see Becky get such a big moment, that post-match ovation was greatness. From being retired for many years to shining on a big stage like that, amazing. Fantastic all around, love both. Excellent stuff.

Joe's arrival was epic, instantly felt like one of the biggest deals in wrestling. Awesome that he keeps his name. Rhyno/Corbin was pretty good, always enjoy Rhyno. Breeze/Balor was good stuff as well.

What a fun show. Sasha vs. Becky has to be a serious MOTY contender.

I honestly thought we'd see Cena come out to stop Owens, but we got a bigger "holy shit" moment with Joe.

My least favorite match was Corbin vs. Rhyno, but even that wasn't all bad.

So, what's more likely;Joe vs.Brock, or Owens vs.Brock?

Show thoughts:

1) Breeze's Spring 2015 collection was so amazing. That match was fine. I wish Tyler won because I'm all in on him. Finn Balor's not for me at all. It's just not a really fun gimmick once you get passed the "Oh, he has insane facepaint" moment. Normally, insane facepaint would be a selling point for me. But I just think he overplays whatever it is he's supposed to be doing. Breeze having a conniption fit after Finn kicked out of the Beauty Shot was such a great character moment.

2) I thought Bayley and Charlotte doing their great teen girl babyface act outshined any sloppy work from the very green Dana. They were SO MUCH FUN together. There was great apron work and dueling struts post-match.

3) Rhyno/Corbin was a decent brawl. Nothing I'll ever remember past tonight, but they tagged each other a bit.

4) The tag match was a blast. I love Enzo finding himself in this match and being effective on offense. Glad the feud continues. Alexis Bliss looked so much like heel manager-era Trish in her post-match gloating.

5) I was afraid I would be taken to task for hyperbole when writing about Sasha/Becky. But I think that was the best match of the year so far, and I'm glad I'm not alone.

6) That main event was wild. Just pure hatred and emotion. Kevin Owens is THE BEST heel in ages. I love his motivation so much. It may or may not be within the bounds of fair play to hit a ring apron version of your finisher on your opponent. But it's DEFINITELY out-of-bounds to keep attacking a man you already injured just to take him out for good. And then Regal HAD to be eliminated because he was preventing Owens from finishing Sami for good. Then Samoa Joe comes out and he flees like a total coward since he has no cheap shot opportunity.That

That post-match interview he has with Renee ("I know you're buddies because he complimented your dress once!") is such great stuff. What a petty piece of crap.

As someone with a major crush on brunette Becky Lynch, I'm not a fan of the orange hair. But goddamn that match. THAT MATCH.

Samoa Joe makes me happy. Fix that music though. I like the horns at the beginning, but after that it's no good.

I hope we get Owens vs. Regal in the buildup to Owens vs. Joe.

The only thing the show was missing was a Solomon Crowe match.

Two WWE Match of the Year candidates in Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch and Kevin Owens vs. Sami Zayn II and a WWE debut years in the making, Samoa Joe.

Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch was probably the best women’s match I’ve ever watched. Like how hate filled Owens vs. Zayn II was, more a fight with wrestling included. To look at Samoa Joe looks the best he has in ages and he’s kept his name. I became a fan of Joe since 2004, 2004-2005 Joe was arguably the best wrestler in the world. Interested to see how Joe is still in the ring finally walking the path most famously by CM Punk and Daniel Bryan.

• Like 1