DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

By the same token, I think if you ran up to Alice Cooper and called him Vincent... you're kind of a nozzle.

Alice Cooper was the first celebrity name I came across that wasn't the same as his real name.

I have no feelings about Alice Cooper.

Alice has stated on his radio show that only his family calls him Vince(nt).  Anyone else, he just won't answer to it,

Oddly enough, originally "Alice Cooper" was the name of his band, not him.

• Like 1

This absurdity is even more well........absurd when you consider guys like Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose. Are they Daniel, Seth and Dean or Bryan, Tyler and Jon? I mean, wrestling conventions say to call them by their gimmick name but I might be an ROH fan who wants to know Seth Rollins at "Tyler Black."

Not that it's particularly relevant to the discussion, but Tyler Black isn't his real name either. It's just his previous gimmick name.

This absurdity is even more well........absurd when you consider guys like Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose. Are they Daniel, Seth and Dean or Bryan, Tyler and Jon? I mean, wrestling conventions say to call them by their gimmick name but I might be an ROH fan who wants to know Seth Rollins at "Tyler Black."

Not that it's particularly relevant to the discussion, but Tyler Black isn't his real name either. It's just his previous gimmick name.

Yeah, I used Tyler because it's a another potential stage name. I wouldn't call him Colby because I would really have no basis for knowing that without looking him up. 

The issue with Punk is that he seems hostile towards people who call him Phil. I don't get hostile towards people who call me by a name that I don't want to be called, I just politely correct them. And also, we all know that his name is "Phil Brooks" now because it's been all over the sports media. 

EDIT - Actually, my name gets mispronounced a fair amount and I generally just let it go. Maybe I'm just too nice. 

Not so random thought; Could all this talk of Lesnar walking out of RAW, contract negotiation stuff and his appearance at UFC 184 be part of a work to get fans against Lesnar at Mania??

Do they not realize that fans will just shit on the both of them? It's not an either/or proposition. 

• Like 1

Just thought I'd jump in quickly on the CM Punk/Phil Brooks thing.

Feel free to now put me in the weird pile.

Punk called himself "Phil Brooks" on a television program. If he wanted people to not call him by his real name then he shouldn't be using his real name on TV. Plus, a week after he and Colt brought this up, he signs with UFC and is now known as Phil "CM Punk"  Brooks.

Uhh.. so what exactly are they complaining about?

• Like 2

Well we can't call him fuckface or his old lady will get mad at us

Ha. That was another strange situation. So obviously he and Michelle Beadle were friends at one point. Whether you believe that she should be walking around backstage at a WWE event saying "what's up fuckface" is up for debate but it's not unheard of for friends to jokingly call one another names. I'd be surprised if it was anything more than that.

Just thought I'd jump in quickly on the CM Punk/Phil Brooks thing.

Feel free to now put me in the weird pile.

Punk called himself "Phil Brooks" on a television program. If he wanted people to not call him by his real name then he shouldn't be using his real name on TV. Plus, a week after he and Colt brought this up, he signs with UFC and is now known as Phil "CM Punk"  Brooks.

Uhh.. so what exactly are they complaining about?

That's my angle in this whole thing. 

Dude is inconsistent and being a fucking brat about the whole thing. Punk's fans are so blind to his faults that no one wants to admit his behavior in public is characteristic of someone who popular society might call an asshole. 

OK, question. 

What don't I get about lucha? Like, trios matches, I don't get those. Even something like Ultimo Guerrero vs. Atlantis seems weirdly-paced to me. I can never get into them. I know it's a cultural block that I need to get past, and I think that it's worth it to do so because ignoring a whole country rich in talent because of their style seems kinda lame to me.

Help me understand what I should be looking for in lucha. What sort of tropes are there that I can latch on to?

i dont think this needs it's own thread, but just as a change of pace, since this has been a somewhat lackluster WM season, and we've been discussing things such as women getting stiffed by dudes in the ring, and somehow CM Punk again, I want to talk about everything having to do with this:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1gfwd_world-war-3-97-prt4_sport

I've been mentally trying to dissect how much politicking must have went into this, but holy shit

• Like 2