DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Am I alone in thinking this is the worst WrestleMania logo ever? 

wm31logo.png

I remember reading someplace that Vince no longer wants to use numbers for mania because it makes it sound old. Thus, we get a generic logo. 

Not my favorite Vinceism. That would be when Cesaro lost his first name because tough guys don't have names like Antonio. 

Yeah, it's not like anyone watches the Super Bowl anyway, right?

Oh wait.............

Wow, what a terrible payoff for GTV that would have been. It was Russo's idea, so I can't say I was too terribly surprised.

Maybe I'm in just the right age bracket, but if Tom Green came out on Raw in 1998/1999, I would have lost my god damn mind.

• Like 1

I'm always shocked when wrestling fans make the argument that it's just another show on TV and should be treated as such. If that's the standard, why watch? There's a lot better shit on TV right now that won't waste your time like WWE will if it's just another TV show.

Honestly, you just described me perfectly.  Even though I've been in the business for over 10 years, I still treat what's on tv as exactly that, a TV show.  It's like, I can' watch this shitty wrestling program, or I can watch Backstrom/Arrow/Basketball/whatever.  I get SO annoyed when people complain over and over and over about how shitty Raw is, but continue to watch it.  Life is too fucking short.

Wow, what a terrible payoff for GTV that would have been. It was Russo's idea, so I can't say I was too terribly surprised.

Maybe I'm in just the right age bracket, but if Tom Green came out on Raw in 1998/1999, I would have lost my god damn mind.

Me too.  Tom Green is sort of like Creed and Attitude Era WWE.  As 30 somethings we all have to act like we were too cool for them as teenagers.  The popularity they enjoyed in the late nineties means lots of us are lying.

• Like 5

Whatever, I can admit I used to like horrible music when I was a preteen/teenager and as I got older, my tastes evolved. I was mainly only allowed to listen to what my parents did when I was that age, so I've got no shame in saying I listened to the first two Creed albums when they came out.

• Like 1

What is the hip-hop equivalent of Creed in the '90s? Puff Daddy and the Family? I'm trying to give this argument some personal context. 

My first tape was Ace of Base when I was like 10. The first one I ever bought, far as I recall, was either White Zombie's Astro Creep 2000 or the Demon Knight soundtrack. After that it was Priest, Maiden, and Sabbath and I haven't turned back since... so really, I don't know what any of you guys are talking about with this bad taste in music shit. :)

• Like 1

I mean, wrestling conventions say to call them by their gimmick name but I might be an ROH fan who wants to know Seth Rollins at "Tyler Black."

You are perfectly entitled to be that fan, provided that you aren't offended when people refer to you as "that douchey ROH fan."

Being fair if it is- the related wrestling conventions have also been seen as "Inside the sport, wrestlers will refer to each other under the first gimmick name they worked with somebody under"- and between that and the fact a lot of wrestlers who've had multiple gimmicks/names will do signings for each gimmick, it is a bit of a gray area.

...even if, it's a moot point anyway for "real name" or "gimmick name." You're asking this person to take some time out of their day to sign an autograph or take a picture with you- have the decency to show them some respect and call them "Sir" or "Ma'am." 

• Like 1