DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

As an aside,the further wrestling has gone into the corporate culture the worse it has gotten. I think that is difficult to deny. 

Could you explain this part?  I work in a corporation and I have sweet health insurance, paid time off, and nobody here is allowed to smack me or call me a faggot. 

Times change and considering wrestling a separate culture that rightfully polices itself through bag shitting and physical abuse only enables people like DeMott; small men who abuse it to make up for their own insecurities.   I think the days of laughing about this kind of stuff, "wrestlers' court" and other frathouse bullshit, like, "oh hah ha oh you wrestlers, you lovable scamps" should have ended quite some time ago. 

It's not the early days anymore.  Wrestlers don't have to stretch trainees to gauge their toughness, rough them up to make sure they "want it" bad enough or beat up, belittle or otherwise shit on those who would threaten kayfabe.  

For the same reason corporate culture has ruined so many other things in America. Look at what Ted Turner did to WCW. They took a simple cash flow problem in 1988 and put WCW into a hole it took years to climb out of.  

Again you can't compare what Demott is doing to what was done decades ago. From what I have heard the training was very tough. But no more so than training for football or boxing. It was/is a physically demanding business and you have to be ready for that.

Demott is just an abusive asshole. Like I said earlier, the corporate culture is actually protecting him. 

Everyone knows this is fake already.  Guys who are insecure about playfighting in their underwear will just need to find some other way to feel tough.

What an incredibly ignorant thing to say. I'm assuming since you post here you have an idea of the physical toll wrestling takes on its performers bodies. The last thing it is is "fake". 

Everyone knows this is fake already.  Guys who are insecure about playfighting in their underwear will just need to find some other way to feel tough.

What an incredibly ignorant thing to say. I'm assuming since you post here you have an idea of the physical toll wrestling takes on its performers bodies. The last thing it is is "fake". 

But a lot of people still see it as fake. Heck even with the physical toll it takes on a person, I could see where a non-wrestling fan who's a wrestler would be insecure about it, especially if he's not at the top of WWE.

For fuck's sake, the closest comparison to wrestlers would be soap actors and I'm pretty sure all of them prefer to use their real names.

Phil Brooks has played the CM Punk character for 15 years in the same way that Eileen Davidson has spent 30 years playing Ashley Abbott. Before you make the "but he did so in multiple companies" argument, Davidson also played her role on multiple shows.

Wrestlers look silly when they cling to the "call me my gimmick name" bullshit.

For fuck's sake. You're wrong.

• Like 1

If anyone on this board called me by my real name I would flip the fuck out.  I also wear a mask when I am posting here so no one will ever know my real identity.  I'll be working the gimmick until the end brother.  

Hey.... uh.... Tim?

Everyone keep guessing, we'll get it eventually.

So here's what I learned today.... I was gonna make a response to this CM Punk/Phil thing by asking if you would call Madonna or Prince by their real name. So I googled both. Turns out, that is their real first names. Huh. Never knew that.

• Like 1

With all the "tradition" of feces related backstage ribs, I'm a little surprised Vince Russo never gave a guy the gimmick of "Brown Thunder" John Latrine, who started feuds with people by surruptitiously taking shits in their personal effects only to have them discover it at inopportune moments during backstage interviews, meetings with the boss, during matches, etc. causing them to lose the match in question or fail in whatever task or machination they were attempting, spinning them off into a new feud with Brown Thunder.  

The worst angle in early ROH:  "Who shit in the Carnage Crew's bags?"

That really happened. Don't remember if there was ever a pay-off.

It led to a loser leaves ROH match between the Carnage Crew vs. The New & Improved Carnage Crew (Masada & Danny Daniels).

Shit, even younger guys who are supposed to be "different" still cling to the stupid old rules. Look at CM Punk, who famously gets pissed at fans calling him "Phil" of even "Mr. Brooks." That's some stuck in kayfabe shit right there. Because "marks" with "insider knowledge" are presumptuous assholes, right? Never mind that kayfabe is long dead.

Not the same thing AT ALL. I can't even believe you would mention that in the same post.

Regardless, the guy spent close to 20 years making the name "CM Punk" mean something. He cracked his skull for that name. He spent the prime of his life on the road for that name. He threw away relationships and family members for that name. He's not an actor who plays a different role every couple of years, he spent his name sacrificing for the name "CM Punk". You damn right it's disrespectful.

The idea that Brooks (air quotes) threw away relationships (/air quotes) to make the "CM Punk" name mean anything is a flimsy excuse to gloss over his preference to fuck his way through the indies AND the Divas roster.

• Like 2

For fuck's sake, the closest comparison to wrestlers would be soap actors and I'm pretty sure all of them prefer to use their real names.

Phil Brooks has played the CM Punk character for 15 years in the same way that Eileen Davidson has spent 30 years playing Ashley Abbott. Before you make the "but he did so in multiple companies" argument, Davidson also played her role on multiple shows.

Mind elaborating and explaining how "CM Punk" Isn't a TV character?

This absurdity is even more well........absurd when you consider guys like Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose. Are they Daniel, Seth and Dean or Bryan, Tyler and Jon? I mean, wrestling conventions say to call them by their gimmick name but I might be an ROH fan who wants to know Seth Rollins at "Tyler Black." I don't think that we need a fucking code to decide what to call a performer at an autograph signing. 

For the record, I would probably just call the guy "Punk" if I met him but it doesn't excuse his juvenile attitude about it. 

By the same token, I think if you ran up to Alice Cooper and called him Vincent... you're kind of a nozzle.

Alice Cooper was the first celebrity name I came across that wasn't the same as his real name.

I have no feelings about Alice Cooper.

I long for the days when we were chatting about CM Punk's ass and him shitting himself, rather than what we should be calling him if we were to ever run into him in public.

Seriously, how is this an argument?!  How does anyone have a strong enough feeling about this either way to care?!

• Like 3

I don't think anyone is advocating for disrespecting celebrities by calling them by their real names. Hell, I was the one who made the argument about Charlie Sheen's real name that was referenced earlier. 

I just find the whole idea that using real names is some egregious breach of kayfabe to be incredibly stupid. CM Punk's attitude also just grates me because he comes across as a total asshole about it.  There's also the fact his name being "Phil Brooks" is now well known due to his UFC venture. 

• Like 1

Mind elaborating and explaining how "CM Punk" Isn't a TV character?

This absurdity is even more well........absurd when you consider guys like Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose. Are they Daniel, Seth and Dean or Bryan, Tyler and Jon? I mean, wrestling conventions say to call them by their gimmick name but I might be an ROH fan who wants to know Seth Rollins at "Tyler Black." I don't think that we need a fucking code to decide what to call a performer at an autograph signing. 

For the record, I would probably just call the guy "Punk" if I met him but it doesn't excuse his juvenile attitude about it. 

Because the guy on TV is the guy in real life. He does not become a evil tax man or a wrestling sanitation worker. 

People call him Punk in real life, his mother calls him Punk. 

Wrestling is not a TV show, it is not a movie, it is simply wrestling. 

• Like 1