DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

What is the hip-hop equivalent of Creed in the '90s? Puff Daddy and the Family? I'm trying to give this argument some personal context. 

Mase has already been mentioned, so I'll say "I'll Be Missing You" is probably the single track that is most Creed-like.

The "My Sacrifice" WWE video was pretty good at the time, but I daren't go back and watch it now.

I'm a thirty-something from Ottawa, though, so I had to like Tom Green since he started on our cable access channel.

I'll always like Creed for this

They should bring back WWE Desire.

It doesn't hold a candle to "Lonely Road of Faith", and that comes from someone who hates Kid Rock.

• Like 3

Thing about this Demott stuff is that the guy that eventually snapped and beat the shit out of Demott probably gets fired, goes off and does the indy circuit, cashes in on their new found celebrity, gets over, and provided they don't go completely off the rails against the company publicly, probably gets brought back 9 months later straight to the main roster.

• Like 1

Let's assemble the big book of horrible wrestling training stories

-Chris Jericho tells the story about one of the Harts taking him and putting him in a hold that basically grinded his teeth together and was extremely painful.

-Mick Foley: In his autobiography tells about old-time trainers who liked to get football players down in the mount position, then drop a knee on the back of their leg and break it.

-There's the whole Stu Hart torturing guys in his dungeon.  The most memorable of which, to me, was Bret Hart talking about Stu whispering "You've breathed your last breath" into his ear as he choked him into almost unconsciousness.

Lets go thru these.

Was Jericho maimed or injured. He was given a demonstration of a hold and came out no worse for wear. 

Foley himself said he could not verify this stuff. They were rumors that went around. 

The stuff with Stu choking out Bret sounds like a different discussion. 

What is the objection to stretching guys in submission holds if they are not being injured? 

Jericho was not "maimed or injured" but he was in a lot of pain and it bothered him for days afterward.  Plus he was put in the hold for no reason, other then for the guy to show everyone how tough he was.

The Stu choking out Bret was totally from their wrestling training, so I don't get why it's another discussion.  I'm not even talking about stuff like him throwing Bret into the backseat of his car and splitting his head open.

What is the objection?

How, about what is the point?  It's bullying.  A couple weeks back former MLB catcher Gregg Zaun went on a tirade about how kids these days have no respect and when he joined a MLB team, they tied him up and beat him around the ribs and said it taught him respect, whereas everyone else said "No, they bullied you".  Using a position of authority as an excuse to knock people around, cause pain to them, knowing full well that they can't come back at you, isn't teaching respect, it's being a bully.

• Like 1

I'm fine with guys at a job messing the new guy to see how he handles stupid shit. You know, you don't want to work in wrestling where your safety depends on the other guy to not actually make it hurt. But when it becomes this humiliation game, it is just wrong. Rookies need to show that they will work through rough times but why abuse authority?

Stupid jokes helps build comradery. Bullying helps screw people up.

Wow, what a terrible payoff for GTV that would have been. It was Russo's idea, so I can't say I was too terribly surprised.

Maybe I'm in just the right age bracket, but if Tom Green came out on Raw in 1998/1999, I would have lost my god damn mind.

Me too.  Tom Green is sort of like Creed and Attitude Era WWE.  As 30 somethings we all have to act like we were too cool for them as teenagers.  The popularity they enjoyed in the late nineties means lots of us are lying.

Ah see I'm a little different in that I'm only 27, so I was a little younger than you at that time. I had and still have zero shame in saying that Tom Green's show (and the underrated Freddie Got Fingered, which had to be the funniest Ebert critique ever) could count me as a fan. Jackass as well, for that matter. Hell, in a group of non fans or lapsed fans, the attitude era of the WWF is pretty much the only time period it's okay to admit of being a fan of. You'll always get that odd guy in the group who will throw out a name like "Man, shit was so much better when they had D'Lo Brown" or "I stopped watching that shit once Ken Shamrock left." And I guess no one will admit to watching WCW, but if you're around a group of guys 23 to 35 who have never claimed to have at least played WCW/NWO Revenge, they're full of shit.

Also, Creed's My Own Prison is a fantastic album. I'm gonna get shanked for this, since Scott Stapp stole Vedder's vocal style a bit, but I think it's better than anything in Pearl Jam's catalogue. It's got much more Alice in Chains and Load-era Metallica in it's DNA.

Sorry, but if you ever liked Creed you should remain eternally ashamed. 

Na bruh

Also whoever was asking, I might be going to Summerslam if there are any tickets left after I get paid and shit.

The No Limit Soldiers showing up to WCW was the whole reason for me not watching Nitro and Thunder for three months in 1999.

The best thing about all of that was Master P was quoted as saying "Ya'll put my name on the sign at the Superdome and you'll sell the building out". I'm pretty sure WCW could have advertised Jesus Christ himself and they still wouldn't have sold out the building.

Does anyone remember an ECW show from the early days (94-96) that was outside on a beach? I swear this happened but I can't find anything.

It was some ECW show at a club. ECW Beach Party 97 in Belmar, NJ

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x79w9u_taz-vs-louie-spicolli-tv-title_sport

This is why I wish the WWE would put those old ECW home videos up on the network. This apparently was a whole show that was only seen on the mail order tapes ECW sold.

• Like 1

And I guess no one will admit to watching WCW, but if you're around a group of guys 23 to 35 who have never claimed to have at least played WCW/NWO Revenge, they're full of shit.

Never played it. Wasn't a fan of WCW, and I might not have had a system to play it at the time. We are the sane age.

And I guess no one will admit to watching WCW, but if you're around a group of guys 23 to 35 who have never claimed to have at least played WCW/NWO Revenge, they're full of shit.

Never played it. Wasn't a fan of WCW, and I might not have had a system to play it at the time. We are the sane age.

Twenty-seven is not the sane age.

• Like 2